Thread: The Comfort Zone Drill w/ Ken Hackathorn

The Comfort Zone Drill w/ Ken Hackathorn

The nice thing about this drill isn't the drill, it's the concept.

Whatever your combination of target size and distance may be, set a par for a fixed number of shots and work it down to where the wheels come off.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The nice thing about this drill isn't the drill, it's the concept.

Whatever your combination of target size and distance may be, set a par for a fixed number of shots and work it down to where the wheels come off.
    The concept doesn’t fill a video with gratuitous slow-motion footage of WC 1911s.

I’m pretty sure there is an old Travis Haley video discussing the use of par times to build draw speed floating around the YouTube, and it had no slow-motion glamour shots in it. Same exact concept: use par times to determine failure point, use failure point to diagnose weakness, then dial 5-10% back from failure point to develop consistency and efficiency through repetition.

Terrible advertisement for whatever Glock he was shooting, though.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Same concept as a drill that Rob Leatham has been teaching for some time.

The video in this link is from 2011:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLRxohRdIys

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    The concept doesn’t fill a video with gratuitous slow-motion footage of WC 1911s.

I’m pretty sure there is an old Travis Haley video discussing the use of par times to build draw speed floating around the YouTube, and it had no slow-motion glamour shots in it. Same exact concept: use par times to determine failure point, use failure point to diagnose weakness, then dial 5-10% back from failure point to develop consistency and efficiency through repetition.

Terrible advertisement for whatever Glock he was shooting, though.
    I understand and appreciate your point on the drill/evaluation, but in the video, Mr. Hackathorn is shooting a 1911 pistol.
    Judging from the images, it appears to be a .45 caliber.
    The video by promotes by inference the 1911, Wilson products, etc., but it also is educational and I think anything that promotes skill improvement is a good thing.
    Several paths (or instructors/commenters) can lead to the same place...

The video is on the Wilson Combat channel with footage shot/edited by a crew paid for by Wilson Combat. Of course it is going to feature Wilson Combat products.

The Leatham video sure did feature a lot of Action Target product...
    Last edited by jlw; 12-06-2019 at 12:27 AM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Same concept as a drill that Rob Leatham has been teaching for some time.

The video in this link is from 2011:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLRxohRdIys
    Ironically both using 9mm 1911's if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post

I’m pretty sure there is an old Travis Haley video discussing the use of par times to build draw speed floating around the YouTube, and it had no slow-motion glamour shots in it.
    I'm pretty sure you had to *buy* the Travis Haley video.

User Tag List