Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: The Comfort Zone Drill w/ Ken Hackathorn

  1. #1

    The Comfort Zone Drill w/ Ken Hackathorn


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Ohio
    The nice thing about this drill isn't the drill, it's the concept.

    Whatever your combination of target size and distance may be, set a par for a fixed number of shots and work it down to where the wheels come off.

  3. #3
    Site Supporter JRV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The nice thing about this drill isn't the drill, it's the concept.

    Whatever your combination of target size and distance may be, set a par for a fixed number of shots and work it down to where the wheels come off.
    The concept doesnít fill a video with gratuitous slow-motion footage of WC 1911s.

    Iím pretty sure there is an old Travis Haley video discussing the use of par times to build draw speed floating around the YouTube, and it had no slow-motion glamour shots in it. Same exact concept: use par times to determine failure point, use failure point to diagnose weakness, then dial 5-10% back from failure point to develop consistency and efficiency through repetition.

    Terrible advertisement for whatever Glock he was shooting, though.
    Whenever you're sad, just remember: every day is one day closer to your next plate of nachos.

  4. #4
    Site Supporter 1911Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Same concept as a drill that Rob Leatham has been teaching for some time.

    The video in this link is from 2011:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLRxohRdIys

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    The concept doesnít fill a video with gratuitous slow-motion footage of WC 1911s.

    Iím pretty sure there is an old Travis Haley video discussing the use of par times to build draw speed floating around the YouTube, and it had no slow-motion glamour shots in it. Same exact concept: use par times to determine failure point, use failure point to diagnose weakness, then dial 5-10% back from failure point to develop consistency and efficiency through repetition.

    Terrible advertisement for whatever Glock he was shooting, though.
    I understand and appreciate your point on the drill/evaluation, but in the video, Mr. Hackathorn is shooting a 1911 pistol.
    Judging from the images, it appears to be a .45 caliber.
    The video by promotes by inference the 1911, Wilson products, etc., but it also is educational and I think anything that promotes skill improvement is a good thing.
    Several paths (or instructors/commenters) can lead to the same place...

  6. #6
    The video is on the Wilson Combat channel with footage shot/edited by a crew paid for by Wilson Combat. Of course it is going to feature Wilson Combat products.

    The Leatham video sure did feature a lot of Action Target product...
    Last edited by jlw; 12-05-2019 at 11:27 PM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

  7. #7
    Site Supporter Matt O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Same concept as a drill that Rob Leatham has been teaching for some time.

    The video in this link is from 2011:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLRxohRdIys
    Ironically both using 9mm 1911's if I remember correctly.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    The concept doesnít fill a video with gratuitous slow-motion footage of WC 1911s.

    Iím pretty sure there is an old Travis Haley video discussing the use of par times to build draw speed floating around the YouTube, and it had no slow-motion glamour shots in it.
    I'm pretty sure you had to *buy* the Travis Haley video.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •