Thread: Question for those in San Antonio

Question for those in San Antonio

I have a friend who lives in Boerne, and is looking to get his LTC. He's not a serious shooter, but I wanted to help steer him in the right direction and find him the best course in his area. He mentioned Apache Rifleworks, in Comfort; I assume this is where he has bought some of his guns. Can anyone comment on the quality of their LTC course, or recommend one in that area?

Thanks

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Student
    Mr. Weems beat me to posting Tim Reedy.

I have not trained with him, but from listening to him being interviewed on Civilian Carry Radio and getting a feel for his background and demeanor, he seems like a great option.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/texas-l...ts-61995471123

It looks like there is a class within an hour of the San Antonio area.

I shot alongside Phil Yantis at TacCon in March, nice guy. I’ll pass this on.

Thanks!

Not being a wiseguy, but unsure what you are trying to achieve...I don't know of any LTC courses here that are offering any type of quality training. I'd be agnostic on where you go. You have to look at a class beyond LTC for that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Not being a wiseguy, but unsure what you are trying to achieve...I don't know of any LTC courses here that are offering any type of quality training. I'd be agnostic on where you go. You have to look at a class beyond LTC for that.
    This ^^^.

Apache Rifle works is fine if all he wants to to check the box and get his LTC.

If he is willing to drive a bit I can personally recommend Reality Defense in Pleasanton, TX.

https://realitydefense.net

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    The guy that taught my CHL class was a moron. He was wrong on the law several times as well.
    Even though the class is not "firearms training", it's important to have an instructor who is knowledgeable and articulate. Otherwise a newly minted carrier might find themselves in hot water for running afowl of the law.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Tim is a good guy and knows his stuff and trains with good folks. He runs good matches at Bandera Gun Club plus bringing in some good guest trainers. LTC from him would be fine. However the LTC course is not training in any real sense. The best all around outfit in the area is KRtraining.com.
    Some of the fancy indoor ranges offer classes but I would seriously investigate their qualifications.

Last, the area offers almost a good match every weekend.

Texas License to Carry

Folks,

Thanks for the kind words, Lee, Yung, Glenn, et. al!

I agree that the TX LTC class is the bare minimum of "training," but I do think that it can be done poorly (as several folks pointed out), or it can be done well.

In the ten years I've been teaching this, I have worked very hard to make mine the best possible class for those who are getting their introduction to armed self-defense.

DPS mandates the overall content, but I've worked in many tidbits from the folks I've trained with, so it's very much like getting a class with guest segments by: Tom Givens, Lee Weems, Dr. William Aprill, Tiffany Johnson, Craig Douglas, Clint Smith, Spencer Keepers, Karl Rehn, John Hearne, Massad Ayoob, and other similar trainers.

I stress the importance of further education on what can be a life or death act, but if all my LTC students get is my 6-hour class, I think they're much further along that I was after all the Texas CHL/LTC classes I've taken over the years.

User Tag List