Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub compacts and micro compacts

Sub compacts and micro compacts

Was out goofin’ today looked at the new Canik sub Compact and M&P 2.0 sub. I have been carryin my P365 lately and just got a Hellcat. The subs seem huge by comparison, realize it just relative, but man Sig was on to something! Can’t wait to see what Walther, S&W, and others would bring out. Also just picked up a SIG Romeo Zero and stuck it on my Hellcat. Looking forward to trying a red dot. I have only tried them on larger guns as rentals and like the concept. They are different to get used to, but I have an open mind.

See? Now you know what all the cool kids have been talking about!

Where did you get a Romeo Zero?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Where did you get a Romeo Zero?
    Local dealer had a few, I was surprised. Well see.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Local dealer had a few, I was surprised. Well see.
    Nice! I’m looking for one to try. I’ll need to order it on line.

Site Supporter
    I don't get why the heck the teeny tiny guns are so dang popular. I've shot a friend's 365 a couple times, and it's surprisingly accurate for such a small gun, but why?

Not trying to detract, just blathering.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I don't get why the heck the teeny tiny guns are so dang popular. I've shot a friend's 365 a couple times, and it's surprisingly accurate for such a small gun, but why?

I think they are so popular because they allow someone to carry 10+ rounds of 9mm in a very small package. Many can't carry a full size firearm every day. Some don't want to carry a full size firearm everyday. We live in an age where manufactures are selling small accurate capable weapons.
    That said I find many of the micro 9's too small to shoot other than slow deliberate fire. I find they twist in my hand under quicker fire. They carry twice as many rounds and are faster to reload. I find them harder to draw from the pocket than a j frame.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    That said I find many of the micro 9's too small to shoot other than slow deliberate fire. I find they twist in my hand under quicker fire. They carry twice as many rounds and are faster to reload. I find them harder to draw from the pocket than a j frame.
    I have found the same to be true for me, more or less...

Once I drop below my Beretta PX4 Subcompact - or Glock 26, for that matter - in grip size, I find that fast shooting opens up the groups to a far greater extent. I have shot remarkably small groups with "micro" handguns... but not in rapid fire. After renting the latest and greatest micro du jour, some shooting sessions have left me thinking I might be as well off with a .41 RF Remington derringer at my current level of shooting ability.

(Age, wear and tear have left more valleys than peaks.)

As for the J-frames, I agree. They pocket draw better for me, and what is more, the grips and triggers on them apparently keep me from "overdriving." I wish S&W would produce a no-lock, no-frills 640 so I could pick up a new one. At 60+, I may be a dinosaur, yet I can appreciate the new micros and why they are the new "cool;" I also know that there are no free lunches, and everything is a trade-off. I have one micro 9 because it fills a need, but it remains a compromise, not a magic wand.

gn

As a longtime P30 user, I've always coveted the P30SK. But man...when you hold the 10-rd P30SK (or VP9SK or even P2000SK) next to a 10-rd 365, or even a 43x...the size/weight difference is completely insane. If size-efficiency factors into your decision making process at all, the disparity between the "subcompact" of 2-3 years ago versus what's available today is impossible to ignore.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post

Anyone who carries regularly in a non permissive environment, or in the summer in business casual attire, will understand the appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List