Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How far into the trigger guard are you?

Site Supporter
    Every time this comes up someone posts this video. Guess it is my turn.

I agree that your sights and called shots need to be the deciding factor, and that takes disciplined practice.

I learned the bottom of the triggerguard technique from a USPSA/IDPA GM during and Advanced Urban Rifle Class. Along with a variation of kneeling that I still teach today. I have not tried it on my current pistol, because I am currently running a G17, and or a M&P, and wear gloves enough of the year that drop safeties of those guns cause me pause and concern. It did work when I was running a 1911 with a 10-8 Flat Trigger....

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    ... running a 1911 with a 10-8 Flat Trigger....
    Opinion time..

What I like about flat triggers is they seem to guide the finger straight back. The squared edges provide feedback if one gets off course, so to speak. This helps with the finish flat mentality.

What I don't like about flat triggers, is my press may not start in that perfect position, and could feel wrong based on how I initially contact the trigger. I have discovered that for me, as long as I finish flat, the path to get there is irrelevant. Flat triggers are not for me and my hands. I do understand how they are beneficial and aid in accuracy. One of these days I'll look into a short reach flat face. That may be just the ticket for me.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Opinion time..

What I like about flat triggers is they seem to guide the finger straight back. The squared edges provide feedback if one gets off course, so to speak. This helps with the finish flat mentality.

What I don't like about flat triggers, is my press may not start in that perfect position, and could feel wrong based on how I initially contact the trigger. I have discovered that for me, as long as I finish flat, the path to get there is irrelevant. Flat triggers are not for me and my hands. I do understand how they are beneficial and aid in accuracy. One of these days I'll look into a short reach flat face. That may be just the ticket for me.
    That is pretty interesting. I’ve not heard that expressed in that way.

I perceived that my press was crisper after I replaced the OEM trigger with an Overwatch flat face aluminum shoe trigger. I may take another look at the OEM shoe.

(For sure though eliminating the Glock trigger shoe dingus was a very definite positive move; I was reminded how much I disliked it when I got my Glock 43X. That little stripe really digs into my trigger finger.)

It took me so long to post that someone posted Pat McNamara's video already.

Interesting comments on the flat triggers. I have TWO Overwatch Precision Tac triggers sitting in a box by my desk right now. Haven't even opened the box, but thought that I would try one and wanted at least the backup gun set up the same way. We'll see how it works for me. Someone might end up with a great deal on a couple of TAC triggers
    Last edited by Clay1; 12-04-2019 at 08:03 PM.

I used to think how much finger mattered a lot on a Glock. Now I think wrist angle means more.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I used to think how much finger mattered a lot on a Glock. Now I think wrist angle means more.
    Please elaborate, just a little more.

Good lord, it's like you're reading my mind. I have been exploring that aspect, and discovered some interesting things.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    Please elaborate, just a little more.
    First, since the support hand can mask trigger finger, shooting with one hand is a good place to experiment.

TPC described the concept of offsetting your wrist slightly, when shooting one hand, but I have experimented with it two hands. It seems to especially help with a Glock. See the two pictures.

Name:  D6EC8C1C-02FD-44FC-B69E-EF2E017274C5.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  AFD22126-C4CE-4562-AD4D-71A0CA83B1E9.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  23.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by smolphry View Post
    As far back as I can remember I've been told to use the pad of my finger to pull the trigger. Now that I'm getting deeper into competition and reading more about different ideas on this. Specifically putting your finger as deep as you can(let the jokes fly) when going for all out speed. What are your thoughts and experiences? Best to just stick with one style and make it work or do you vary the technique based on the need?
    My experience matches that of the Army AMU. start with the natural lay of the finger and adjust as necessary to ensure you are pulling the trigger straight to the rear. There is no one size fits all.

As such finger placement for one shooter may vary from gun to gun.

Hammertime
    First, since the support hand can mask trigger finger, shooting with one hand is a good place to experiment.

TPC described the concept of offsetting your wrist slightly, when shooting one hand, but I have experimented with it two hands. It seems to especially help with a Glock. See the two pictures.

Name:  D6EC8C1C-02FD-44FC-B69E-EF2E017274C5.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  AFD22126-C4CE-4562-AD4D-71A0CA83B1E9.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  23.9 KB
    Do you now prefer the more extended wrist position (photo 2)?

I just looked at how I normally grip without much thought and it is very much image 2.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 12-05-2019 at 12:38 PM.

User Tag List