Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far into the trigger guard are you?

How far into the trigger guard are you?

As far back as I can remember I've been told to use the pad of my finger to pull the trigger. Now that I'm getting deeper into competition and reading more about different ideas on this. Specifically putting your finger as deep as you can(let the jokes fly) when going for all out speed. What are your thoughts and experiences? Best to just stick with one style and make it work or do you vary the technique based on the need?

I have large hands and long fingers. I use just out from the first joint. For Glocks semi related tidbit I picked up in class is to use the extreme bottom of the trigger i.e. sliding across the bottom inside of the trigger guard. Suggestion came from a guy who shot thousands of rounds per month through a Glock in the .mil unit he was in. Said he had a callus on the bottoms of his trigger fingers for about a year after they went away from the Glocks. Said doing so helped some and screwed up a few people's trigger pull. It helps me.
    Last edited by FNFAN; 12-04-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I experimented once using various places (pad, distal phalange etc.) and settled on the finger location that resulted in the least amount of front sight movement.

I don’t think there is a one size fits all solution give the huge variation in human hand anthropometry, combined with the myriad of trigger mechanisms (flat bar safety tabs, curved safety tabs, no safety tabs, etc.) in modern pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I experimented once using various places (pad, distal phalange etc.) and settled on the finger location that resulted in the least amount of front sight movement.
    Agree. Results > dogma.

The most important thing is to have a consistent and effective grip on the gun, while being able to press the trigger without disturbing the sights.

You don't want to compromise your grip in an attempt to place your finger in the "ideal" spot. On the other hand (pun intended), your finger position needs to work.

One thing you don't want to do is change your finger position on the trigger based on what kind of shot you are making. You write below about "finger as deep as you can... when going for all out speed". If you're going to try a 1st joint or deeper trigger finger, you've should to be able to use it all the time--at least with that gun.

On full and compact guns, I use the pad. On mouseguns and snubbies I use the 1st joint.

Check out @Surf's excellent video linked in this thread:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post112307

Quote Originally Posted by smolphry View Post
    As far back as I can remember I've been told to use the pad of my finger to pull the trigger. Now that I'm getting deeper into competition and reading more about different ideas on this. Specifically putting your finger as deep as you can(let the jokes fly) when going for all out speed. What are your thoughts and experiences? Best to just stick with one style and make it work or do you vary the technique based on the need?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-04-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I don’t think there is a one size fits all solution give the huge variation in human hand anthropometry, combined with the myriad of trigger mechanisms (flat bar safety tabs, curved safety tabs, no safety tabs, etc.) in modern pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For somebody that ain't been shooting too long, you got the right answer. This ^^^^^

And different guns and hands will change it.

For a 1911 with a flat MSH and a long trigger, it's perfect for the pad of my finger. But a short trigger will mean more finger over the trigger.

A revolver gets down to the actual joint of the distal phalanx and medial phalanx.

An LEM somewhere in between.

It will be different for you, anyone who thinks there is universality is foolish, IMO. Go with whatever it takes to get a consistent grip and not muck up the sights when you press.

Reminds me a bit of "both eyes open, or...?" question where the best answer is "see what you need to"; e.g., place as little or as much finger into the trigger guard as your particular hand needs on that particular gun to get the shot. Assuming a good foundation in the basics of what generally works and what variations are available to you, the idiosyncracies of the individual shooter and their hits (or misses) have final say.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Site Supporter
    I've found that I really tend to just use the pad...but that was after experimenting a lot with it. Dry fire will show you the way.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Typed up a long winded response, and lost it. So here is a picture:

Name:  Joints-of-the-thumb-and-the-index-finger-This-picture-is-adapted-from.png
Views: 639
Size:  53.0 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Where your finger falls on the trigger is a function of how your hand interfaces with whatever gun you’re shooting. Not all hands are created equal nor are all guns, but what it should be is as natural as possible. So whenever you grip your gun, put your finger in high register on the gun. Present to the target with your finger still in high register. Now bring your finger to the trigger and allow it to naturally rest on the trigger face. That’s where YOUR finger should be on YOUR trigger on YOUR gun. Change one of those variables and you change the end result of the equation.

User Tag List