Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: More shotgun advice from the NRA

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    The only birdshot injury I have seen had the arm blown nearly clear off, and the pellets then embolized from the axillary vein, through the heart and stopped in the lungs making for a really confusing and cool chest xray.

The arm was a total loss and reminder not to mess with another man's wife.
    The tuition can be very steep for some of life's lessons.

RMOAS: About thirty years ago, I got a call from some guy who accused me of messing with his wife. I denied it and hung up. He called back and engaged in some harsh language. I told him to have congress with himself and hung up. Third call, a few minutes later, he called and said he was going to come over to my place and kick my ass. I told him that if he came over, he could take it up with my shotgun. He never called again.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 12-04-2019 at 06:26 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The tuition can be very steep for some of life's lessons.

RMOAS: About thirty years ago, I got a call from some guy who accused me of messing with his wife. I denied it and hung up. He called back and engaged in some harsh language. I told him to have congress with himself and hung up. Third call, a few minutes later, he called and said he was going to come over to my place and kick my ass. I told him that if he came over, he could take it up with my shotgun. He never called again.
    Got a call like that once.

Back when people called each other , I struck up a convo with a cute girl at a local Starbucks. Got my drink, took her number and set up plans later. I then packed up my car and went to the range.

After an hour on the road I got to the range lot when my phone rings. Jeez, she acted fast.

Dude “you call my wife?”
    Me “sorry. We talked at Starbucks and she seemed interested.”

Dude : I’m gonna kick your ass!
    me (looks around interior of car packed with 500 rounds of ammo between three firearms plus the one on my person)
    “That ain’t gonna happen. Whatever your issues are with your wife are between y’all.”

.....”I’m gonna trace this call and get your address and Kick YOUR -“

“I don’t know you, but understand I’ve got enough ammo in this car to invade a small country- and I work for the military.”

—- Click —-
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    There is so much in that article that's cringeworthy. Using the only tool at hand is hardly an endorsement of the suitability of the tool for the task. Just because a guy used a battleaxe to fend off a home invader doesn't mean that we should all go out and buy battleaxes and make like Conan the Barbarian.

The discussion of the use of birdshot is inane.

What does this even mean?Sure, you can use cheap-jack ammunition in everything. Lots of people have been put into the ground by .38 lead round-nosed bullets, let alone .22 rimfires. That doesn't mean they're even close to being the better choice.

And then there is this: Because a double-action revolver is so, so complicated to operate. Hell, so is an AK, a weapon that illiterate teenagers can be taught to shoot in, what, thirty minutes or less? (I'm sure you've seen the video of an African militiaman giving an AK to a chimpanzee.)

Or this: Other than a double-barrel Biden Special, this point is just bullshit. A repeating shotgun isn't going to be any more compact than a carbine. You still have to have a legal-length barrel, the action and the stock. The target audience of this piece isn't going to have that repeated stored with a loaded chamber, so they have to cycle it. If it's a pump gun, they have to cycle it each time, which is going to take some physical ability.

Now, let's discuss what the writer blithely passed over: Recoil. Anyone care to opine on the recoil of a 12-gauge coach gun or one of those no-shoulder stock guns like a Mossberg Shockwave?

I did a couple of searches on the author: Zita Ballinger Fletcher, who apparently also uses Zita Steele as a pen name. She has a background in art, she's written a bunch of articles for conservative Catholic publications, she's written some books about the photography of Erwin Rommel. Some listings say she has expertise in criminology and cybercrime. That all may be accurate. But what I didn't find was anything that she has written about actually shooting any kind of firearm.

In short, she seems to be a reporter in the tradition of "I don't have to know anything about what I'm covering."

To declare that she's a Fudd insults the true Fudds.

Thanks, Stephanie - as usual, you nailed it....plus, you saved us an internet search of Ms. Zita-whatevershecallsherself.

Site Supporter
    post deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I wonder if the article made the print edition before they realized how badly they screwed up?
    That wouldn't be the biggest screw up they made, or even close.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa...let's not get ahead of ourselves. Have you ever gone to see the HS crush working at the cheap strip club? Sure, she only vaguely gave you the time of day in HS, but now...money talks buddy, money talks. Just sayin', if you can read a crappy article from the NRA Rag, you can probably sleaze your way down into something that we'll put in the "regrettable but fun" category. I honestly think this is something @misanthropist, @jetfire, maybe @OlongJohnson, and even maybe @SouthNarc can provide feedback on.

In the mean time, I'd rather use a battle axe to defend myself than a 12-gauge loaded with birdshot. They are both contact distance weapons for lethal effect, might as well use the one that has a better pedigree in killing people.
    I'll have you know that not only have I got a lot of experience with strippers, I also have a lot of experience putting extremely questionable things in print in exchange for money.

So yeah, this is right up my alley

There is so much in that article that's cringeworthyanzee.)
    Excellent points, Stephanie

I did a couple of searches on the author: Zita Ballinger Fletcher, who apparently also uses Zita Steele as a pen name. She has a background in art, she's written a bunch of articles for conservative Catholic publications, she's written some books about the photography of Erwin Rommel. Some listings say she has expertise in criminology and cybercrime. That all may be accurate. But what I didn't find was anything that she has written about actually shooting any kind of firearm.

In short, she seems to be a reporter in the tradition of "I don't have to know anything about what I'm covering."
    I did some online research on her and have no idea how to classify her. She seems to have some very diverse but specific interests which she writes on. She has written a bunch of short articles for NRA's America's First Freedom. In this case she clearly had no idea what she was writing about, and managed to harness just about every wrong cliche' about the shotgun. It seems the article was removed from the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    It seems the article was removed from the website.
    We're powerful!
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I'll have you know that not only have I got a lot of experience with strippers, I also have a lot of experience putting extremely questionable things in print in exchange for money.

So yeah, this is right up my alley
    (shit-stirrer voice inside)

I am thinking that the world needs for you to be say, working for Tam.

(/shit-stirrer voice inside)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    That’s great...What that tells me, is that there is apparently someone at the NRA who still has the ability to recognize derp when he sees it, and can also see how clueless, and out of touch, this makes the NRA look...
    Or that they took enough crap that they realized that even the shallow end of the gene pool was aware of their stupidity.

User Tag List