Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More shotgun advice from the NRA

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Birdshot will absolutely kill a dude deader than Elvis...out to maybe 3-to-5 feet from the muzzle, depending on choke.

Putting birdshot in your splattergun turns it from a decisive fight-stopping implement of destruction into a glorified contact-distance bangstick.

People wind up using passed-down tales from Their Cousin, The Cop, who likes to talk about the time some beleaguered divorcee shot her vengeful ex- off the muzzle of a Citori with Winchester AA #7.5, as anecdata.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

3" Goose loads made a crime scene look like something from a horror movie. Matter on the ceiling, walls, everywhere. Freaking horrific. They may be the exception to the birdshot rule. Probably one of the more gruesome scenes I have worked. One of our non sworn people had a breakdown on scene, due to the age/situation of one the victims.

That scene took a little piece of everybody's soul I think.

Punchline is 3" goose loads are pretty nasty.

Regular birdshot though, meh..

Anyways, that article was so bad it should have been sponsored by someone wearing a TAPOUT shirt and white DUDE-BRO sunglasses..

I don't think the people writing the articles ever actually see or use the products anymore.

That article gave me brain-AIDS. That is some Joe Biden-level retardation right there.

You can always email the dumbasses to tell them they are stupid. I did.

Email your comments/questions about this site to: 1stFreedom@nrahq.org

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    When I get "Shooting Illustrated" I read Tam's column and then I toss it. I suppose I could just get the electronic version and save resources.
    Not me. Seriously - I just fold the mag to her article and paperclip it so it stays open, then hand it on to friends at church. We sit in the kitchen drinking coffee and pass it around until the old ladies chase us out.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    No mention of the sound of racking the shotgun striking terror into the hearts of ne'er do wells and miscreants?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I've made no secret of my outright respect and admiration for Tam's considerable writing chops around here, more than once.

But, at this point, it's like that girl you had a major crush on in HS working at a cheap strip club. Just no.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    In my many decades of reading gun literature, I have never seen such bullshit. I think the NRA must be trying to present a softer, kinder image. Why else say not to use buckshot or not buy premium buckshot offerings? Why else say shoot somebody in the butt? Being blasé about AR's may be an effort to distance the NRA from AR firearms. Staff writers can't be so stupid that they believe any of this, especially the part about not needing to aim.

Site Supporter
    P-F has absolutely raised the bar for actual quality firearm discourse- both on training and equipment.
    When I was in high school (back in the 80’s), I viewed American Rifleman as a serious source for “all things gun.”
    Now I read the NRA’s magazines and am disturbed my the amount of derp. Has the NRA changed, or have I?
    I suspect it’s a bit of both.
    At any rate, glad to hear it’s not just me.

And Tam, you are the exception to the assessment above. I get to your column and think “okay, finally some good stuff.”

I used to hunt with a guy who carried a black-powder only short double barreled shotgun.
    Before the woods were cleaned up here there was a overturned '60s sedan in a clearing where
    I hunted grouse. (An increase in scrap metal prices saw a lot of junked cars hauled out of the
    bush.)

We went there one afternoon. He put a load of birdshot from that shotgun into the
    back quarter panel of the abandoned car. All of it, except for about seven pellets,
    went into a two and a half inch hole in the quarter panel. Range was about 15 or 20 feet.

I was impressed and still am. I get the feeling an attacker would have been quite impressed as well.

That said, when I have a shotgun available for home defense it is loaded with buckshot backed up with
    a couple slugs in the buttcuff.

User Tag List