Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: More shotgun advice from the NRA

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Just because a guy used a battleaxe to fend off a home invader doesn't mean that we should all go out and buy battleaxes and make like Conan the Barbarian.
    Crom frowns upon you from the great mountain, dooms he will send.
    I meant no disrespect to Crom.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

All I know is this: when the end comes, and we find ourselves before Crom in the great mountain cave, and he asks the riddle of steel to see if we are worthy of Valhalla... the answer better not involve birdshot.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    All I know is this: when the end comes, and we find ourselves before Crom in the great mountain cave, and he asks the riddle of steel to see if we are worthy of Valhalla... the answer better not involve birdshot.
    How about steelshot?
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    How about steelshot?
    The circa 1940 Ithaca 37 just whimpered uncomfortably from inside the cabinet.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    But, at this point, it's like that girl you had a major crush on in HS working at a cheap strip club. Just no.
    Whoa whoa whoa...let's not get ahead of ourselves. Have you ever gone to see the HS crush working at the cheap strip club? Sure, she only vaguely gave you the time of day in HS, but now...money talks buddy, money talks. Just sayin', if you can read a crappy article from the NRA Rag, you can probably sleaze your way down into something that we'll put in the "regrettable but fun" category. I honestly think this is something @misanthropist, @jetfire, maybe @OlongJohnson, and even maybe @SouthNarc can provide feedback on.

In the mean time, I'd rather use a battle axe to defend myself than a 12-gauge loaded with birdshot. They are both contact distance weapons for lethal effect, might as well use the one that has a better pedigree in killing people.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 12-04-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    In the mean time, I'd rather use a battle axe to defend myself than a 12-gauge loaded with birdshot. They are both contact distance weapons for lethal effect, might as well use the one that has a better pedigree in killing people.
    Or just put a nice long bayonet on your shotgun!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

It seems the NRA now hires cyber day laborers to write their articles.

They pull up in the NRA pickup truck to a vacant lot where unemployed writers equipped with laptops and starbucks are milling around. The driver gets out of the truck and calls, "Look, I need one shotgun article and one article on a beginners guide to variable power scopes."

The unemployed writers push and shove among themselves, as though they were jockeying for a position on the last chopper out of Saigon, and the first two who make it into the back of the pickup truck get the job.
    Last edited by Ed L; 12-04-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Link that goes with the story:
    https://www.oregonlive.com/clackamas...uspect_in.html

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    How is it that the NRA is so far behind the curve on defensive use of firearms? It really is pathetic.

Quick story about birdshot: a few years ago, a buddy’s older dad inherited a farm from the grandma, and it was in bad shape from repeated break-ins. Buddy and dad were camping out there to repair the place when two armed tweakers kicked the front door in. Dad was alone when it happened and he grabbed his 12 Ga pump and shot one Tweaker in the neck at point blank range with #7 birdshot. Tweaker survived and fortunately didn’t try to fight because he was much more physically capable than the old guy. Girl Tweaker ran and was later found hiding in a ditch. The dad’s shotgun was loaded with a random assortment of shells including bird and buck. My buddy is confident that buckshot would have ended the fight decisively.

NRA: WTF?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I wonder how many comments hit the desks of the editors after this came out? This is the second NRA magazine to have a silly shotgun article in recent times. They have had decent ones on the shotgun myths in the past.

Is anyone geekish enough to remember when Thor of the Marvel Universe was time slapped back into the past and met Crom? Or when Conan the Barbarian met Elric of Melnibone in a Marvel comic? I loved Elric as a character and would you want to have Stormbringer as your HD weapon? Your family might not like it.

I met Michael Moorcock in TX. He moved to Bastrop and did a book signing at a San Antonio Barnes and Noble. One of my students was his babysitter or cat sitter. I forget.

As far as nonlethal applications of bird shot, a colleague of mine was bird shooting (or birding, whatever they call it). His hound goes off and comes running back towards him in a panic. The dog is chased by a pissed off large emu. Said colleague fires a load of birdshot in the ground before the emu to richochet (or so he said) into the legs of the monster bird attacker. This chased it off. He didn't want to hit it directly have to deal with a dead emu. There are or were emus on the loose in TX, released when the pyramid schemes for these things fell. I've seen them on trails years ago.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 12-04-2019 at 02:52 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Just sayin', if you can read a crappy article from the NRA Rag, you can probably sleaze your way down into something that we'll put in the "regrettable but fun" category. I honestly think this is something @misanthropist, @jetfire, maybe @OlongJohnson, and even maybe @SouthNarc can provide feedback on.
    Sorry, I moved two states away to go to college and stayed there until middle age. The only randoms from high school I ever ran into were dudes. One was taking tickets at a movie theater (and later became a youth pastor - not even Catholic, AFAIK) and the other was slangin' ads for a crappy rag. Neither regrettable nor fun, really. At least for me.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 12-04-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List