Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SIG P320-M18 Announced

SIG P320-M18 Announced

We knew it was coming.

I have been pretty happy with my commercial M17. It shoots well and I like the safety. I'm not big on the rear sight coming off as part of the optics plate but that won't keep me from getting an 18 at some point.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-..._source=Eloqua

In stock at Osage County:

https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-saue...-9-m18-ms.html

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 12-03-2019 at 02:31 PM.

Its too tall for a compact. I don't understand why Sig's "compacts" are as big as full size M&Ps / glocks and 1911s.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Its too tall for a compact. I don't understand why Sig's "compacts" are as big as full size M&Ps / glocks and 1911s.
    Because it’s not a compact, it’s a carry, regardless of what the military calls it.

SIG makes an actual compact grip shell with a 15 round mag. It’s a modular handgun so it can be re-configured as required.

The military wanted this configuration for two reasons:

1) standardization on full size magazines

2) testing has shown most pistol toters shoot best with this configuration- compact slide /full size grip, especially when you put them on the clock.

Classified as a compact by Glock

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g19x

Classified as a carry/compact by Sig

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-m18.html

X-Carry (which was based on M18 and actually has a longer frame) classified as full size, 19x classified as compact by this site.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...r-p320-x-carry

They have almost the same dimensions. Basically, it’s all semantics and the actual dimensions matter the most.

Think of it more in terms of 1911s.

The M17 or P320 Full-Size is the Government Model

The M18 or the P320 Carry is the Commander

The P320 Compact is the CCO

The P320 Subcompact is the Officer's ACP

Those are generalizations but will hopefully illustrate the different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

That is helpful. Thanks.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Because it’s not a compact, it’s a carry, regardless of what the military calls it.

SIG makes an actual compact grip shell with a 15 round mag. It’s a modular handgun so it can be re-configured as required.

The military wanted this configuration for two reasons:

1) standardization on full size magazines

2) testing has shown most pistol toters shoot best with this configuration- compact slide /full size grip, especially when you put them on the clock.
    Was this testing done by DOD, someone else? This is coming up regarding our next pistol selection, so I'm looking for references. I've personally never noticed a difference shooting iron sights, but I've been told the 'carry' configuration works better with an optic.

My Carry works well with its integral Romeo1, It isn't so much that it works better with a RDS better than any other P320, I think that one of the byproduct advantages of a RDS is there's simply no advantage per se to having a longer slide for an increased sight plane; with with the Carry RX you're getting the benefits of compact sizing/concealability as well as excellent accuracy due to the RDS.

So with the P320 RX Carry you've got everything you need in a 15 round package, and nothing you don't.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 12-03-2019 at 06:43 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

I think the Compact length slide is the way to go with the P250/320 family. You can run it with a Carry, Compact or Subcompact grip module with 21/17-, 15-, or 12-rd mags. 10-rd mags are available in all sizes for those living in jurisdictions where the government doesn't trust the people to be armed. I haven't checked a 9mm slide in a Subcompact grip module, but I suspect you'd only lose the full-length dustcover coverage. That's only a problem if you're running MAC's mud test. If it turns out an SC dust cover doesn't quite cover the recoil spring seat part of the slide, you can always cut down a Compact module. They're only $30 and sold as an accessory, so you can hack them up however you want with grip mods, stippling, etc. And they're available with different grip sizes. It's really a brilliant setup.

I'm not sure what would be required to accommodate the safety, but it seems likely to be just drilling a hole in the right place.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Was this testing done by DOD, someone else? This is coming up regarding our next pistol selection, so I'm looking for references. I've personally never noticed a difference shooting iron sights, but I've been told the 'carry' configuration works better with an optic.
    My Agency did this as part of our recent switch to 9mm. We were going to issue the 320 compact (15 round) and wound up issuing the Carry with an X grip instead based on our test results. With the X carry frame the height difference between the 15 round and 17 round grips is minimal.

There is a reason the USAF and USMC adopted the M18 instead of the M17. Word I got was the USAF's testing with "non gun people" mirrored that of my Agency. Maybe Caleb can shed some light on it.

We also allow the full sized P320 and IME it is over sprung and has a "dip" when recovering from recoil.

As you know most "pistol toters" are not really "shooters." The pinky is significant to control of the gun, especially when time and multiple shots are factors. Some dedicated shooters will shoot better with a smaller G19/26 grip since it forces them be more attentive to their grip. However, among the "bell curve" as a whole, normal people do better with a full sized grip.

The compact slide works better for the normal "bell curve" as a whole for the same reasons it works well with a red dot. Decreased muzzle flip / shorter recoil arc makes it faster to re-acquire the sights, especially when combined with the extra leverage of a full sized grip. In practical use, like most decent LE qualification COF this out weighs the minor benefits of a slightly longer sight radius.

You probably wouldn't notice the difference, and your "bell curve" shooters likely wont notice either. But put them under time pressure and the targets and timers will show the difference.

User Tag List