Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: .45 Minor Defense

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Jim; I've also tried the ASYM .45 National Match, which is the same combination but with a JHP bullet. I don't know if it will expand at 775 fps...
    Even if it doesn't expand, the sharper edge of the HP design "helps solve the problem of obliquity", to quote someone (who I can't remember) from years ago. It would be more inclined to dig in rather than glance off things like bones.

Dave

Sorry to be late to the discussion, but why use a lower powered .45 ACP when there are plenty of 9mm defensive loads like HST or Gold Dot that are proven to be effective?

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Sorry to be late to the discussion, but why use a lower powered .45 ACP when there are plenty of 9mm defensive loads like HST or Gold Dot that are proven to be effective?
    I'm not Jim, but from my experience 9mm recoil is much sharper than .45 acp "softball" loads. Higher velocity rounds means higher slide velocity and a sharper smack when the slide bottoms out before returning to battery.
    Last edited by john c; 12-30-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Even if it doesn't expand, the sharper edge of the HP design "helps solve the problem of obliquity", to quote someone (who I can't remember) from years ago. It would be more inclined to dig in rather than glance off things like bones.

Dave
    Low velocity ogival JHP is probably a smoother feed than the stubby factory match SWC.

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Well, I do, to a good extent. But the Commander is my sweet spot in metal pistol portability and shootability, my Commander is a .45 and I like to keep it and others working without kicking.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List