Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: .45 Minor Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Rim Rock Bullets of Montana makes a 255 grain hard cast SWC for .45 ACPs. While I have used a bunch of their bullets, I have not used that particular one. That said, a 255 SWC would be a very solid choice if one had no access to JHPs, could not afford them, or whatever the circumstances.
    I use their .45 colt one over 9 grains of unique in my blackhawk/m92. Hammers deer.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    LBT 230 gr LFN. Veral Smith refers to it as the best "soft target" 45 ACP design:
    How did I miss those at https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-230gr-lfn-pb/?

I'm going to get some next time I order from them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    How did I miss those at https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-230gr-lfn-pb/?

I'm going to get some next time I order from them.
    I soooo want to take them deer hunting, but 45 ACP isn't a legal caliber in my state. I suppose I could buy a 45 LC revolver and load some to 45 ACP +P-ish velocities. This design does feed in stock 1911s for me, and everything else I've tried them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    1. Tolerance. My nerves and arthritis let me shoot 9mm regularly. USPSA Minor isn't winning me anything but a Major Flinch wouldn't either and be a lot less fun. Major or full power .45 hurts and will kick me into a flinch in short order. I load .45s way down to keep from retiring the guns. My carry and house guns are mostly 9mm.

2. Recommendations. A lot of people consider .38 Wadcutter to be suitable for self defense.

3. So what about .45 Midrange? Would I be reasonably well armed with a 185 gr at 775 fps? That's about all the fun I can stand for a reasonable practice with the Commander.
    Jim;

I'm sorry to hear of your arthritis. It will get us all, one day.

As others have mentioned, Federal Gold Medal Match .45 ACP SWC is what you're looking for. https://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-1...edal-50-rounds

I've used it some, for Bullseye shooting, and it shoots great. A 185 gr SWC travelling at 775 fps must surely equal or surpass a 148 gr .38 spl wadcutter at 700 fps. I've also tried the ASYM .45 National Match, which is the same combination but with a JHP bullet. I don't know if it will expand at 775 fps, but you could contact Nosler or Precision Delta and ask.

You can easily load practice ammo with off-the-shelf 185 gr cast bullets and 3.8 gr to 4.1 gr of Bullseye.

Good luck!

Wouldn't that load pretty much be an analog of .455 Webley? The Webley round had a good reputation for putting guys down.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Wouldn't that load pretty much be an analog of .455 Webley? The Webley round had a good reputation for putting guys down.
    The Fiocchi .455 factory load is a 265 grain lead bullet at 660 fps.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    LBT 230 gr LFN. Veral Smith refers to it as the best "soft target" 45 ACP design:
    Attachment 45626
    What OAL are those?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    They're not 230gr, but they look interesting https://missouribullet.com/details.p...0&secondary=13
    Way back in the day, Jeff Cooper advocated the similar 215 Markell SWC in .45 ACP over a very manly charge of Unique. I'm sure he was on to something there.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

SAECOs bowling pin bullet has a really large meplat as well. I had that before my LBT mould but it didn't feed in one of my 1911s well at all, so I sold it off and concentrated on the LBT mould.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    What OAL are those?
    I load to roughly 1.25. LBTs are a "weight forward" design, and my guns feed them really well.

User Tag List