Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much thinner is a grip reduced Glock 21?

To follow-up on psalms 1911 comment, the 1911 can be customized with flat or arched mainspring housing, beavertail, grip panels of various thickness, and length of trigger. But here is the kicker which y'all know.....a 1911 part replacement can and often involves the fitting of new parts. It's not a plug and play platform. Just saying the grip can be customized more than initially thought.

The SIG P320 in 45 Auto is surprisingly similar to the 9/40 format.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'll ask a heretical question: Are you sure a reduction is necessary? I'll freely admit my Gen 3 G21 "bg butt" (non-SF G21) is probably the most difficult Glock for me to shoot accurately at speed (and I'm comparing it to my Gen 3 G17, Gen 3 G19, Gen 4 G22); however, it's intrinsically the most accurate of my Glocks.

I've shot it comparatively with a Gen 3 G21 SF and a Gen4 G21 with no additional backstrap, and I frankly didn't see much of a difference, either subjectively (feel-wise) or objectively (in terms of shot speed/accuracy increase results).

Empirically, I've come to the conclusion that the G21 is simply a bit large and bulky, regardless, and to do well with it you simply need to embrace it as it is and use the thing to excel with it, and program muscle memory for success with its ergonomics. My performance (and enjoyment/appreciation) is significantly increased with an effective protocol of dry-and live-fire use.

I will admit that if I was to buy a new one today, I'd opt for a Gen4, but that's due to it's inherently improved grip texturing, nested RSA, and larger magazine release.

Before spending time and money on hardware frame modifications, I counsel spending some significant time with it as it is. Then empirically you can decide what's really needed and likely to be beneficial. Keep in mind too that the recoil characteristics of .45 ACP are different from those of 9mm and .40, if that's what you've been primarily using; there'll likely be an adjustment period for you to thoroughly familiarize with and master the cartridge's characteristics, especially with full-house duty loads.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 12-03-2019 at 08:35 AM.

I had one done by Lane at Cold Bore Customs several years ago. Way better than stock. Still a lot bulkier than a g19/17 grip.

Here is the rule of thumb for grip reductions. If the glock fits you now, a reduction will make it fit better. If it doesn't fit, then a reduction isn't likely going to make much difference. The 21's are just big, and there isn't much that can be done about that. a Reductions will help if you can run the pistol, but it just feels a bit big in your hand. Reductions aren't going to alter grip dimensions enough to allow a gun that doesn't fit, to suddenly fit.

The SF guns do take reduction well. I can get the grip dimensions on the SF frame very close to a factory G17 grip. Glock simply overengineered the 21/20 frames. They are huge and the I can slim them up, but they will still feel big.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all the replies.

I have some projects in mind, and I always enjoyed the Glock 21. Sounds like it's not going to be a massive difference, but could possible help.

Again, thanks for all the info.

I have regular hands (large mechanix gloves), 9mm size glocks fit me perfectly. The G21 is definitely bigger, but in practice it doesn't make a big enough difference (to me!) to be noticeable. Add to the fact it is probably the best, softest shooting 45acp I've tried, its a great piece. I'd imagine a quality stippling job/grip job would simply make it better.

User Tag List