Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browning Auto-5 "rescue"

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Before Vang:
    Attachment 45807

After Vang magic:
    Attachment 45808

Federal #1 Flite Control shoots into 9" at 20 yards. Hornady 8 pellet Critical Defense does 6" at 20 yards.
    Vang shortened barrel to 18", did their barrel mods, installed new recoil pad and fixed cracked forend. I have a mag extension sitting around, but haven't installed it.
    The mag extensions are a pain but it's not like we are tearing them down and resetting every week either. I fully understand why JMB put the mag spring retainer in the tube!

It must be nice to have #1 Fed FC on hand...

That's a nice looking humpback.

What would an unfired A5 go for about now. Asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    I have no clue, but there is somewhat of a cult following of the Auto-5 in general. A pristine one will bring probably north of $1000 (in my area $1000-$1400, just depends on buyer), a bit more with box, papers, etc.

I have my grandfather's Sweet 16 and it's almost unfired. The metal is basically perfect on the outside with extremely minor wear on the inside and the paper diagram is still on the inside of the forearm. It probably has 4 to 6 boxes fired total since 1962 and I shot most of that since receiving it from my dad when he passed. Grandpa was so proud of it he was afraid to mess it up by hunting with it I think.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 12-11-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Depends. Is it Belgian or Japanese? What gauge? Private party sale, auction, sale to dealer? What part of the country?

You should probably look around in the completed auctions at Gunbroker. For pricing on the high end of retail, check Cabela’s Gun Library.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Before Vang:
    Attachment 45807

After Vang magic:
    Attachment 45808

Federal #1 Flite Control shoots into 9" at 20 yards. Hornady 8 pellet Critical Defense does 6" at 20 yards.
    Vang shortened barrel to 18", did their barrel mods, installed new recoil pad and fixed cracked forend. I have a mag extension sitting around, but haven't installed it.
    I hit like, then unlike, just so I could hit like again.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Thanks, all. Belgian 16. And thanks for the Cabela's tip. Hadn't thought of that.

Very nice shotguns! The closest I’ve got is a Remington 11-48 that I cut the barrel down to 19”

Site Supporter
    Thanks, all. Belgian 16. And thanks for the Cabela's tip. Hadn't thought of that.
    Growing up in Surry County, NC, the Sweet 16 was “the gun”.
    I remember seeing one for sale at the Western Auto store in downtown Mount Airy when I was a teenager. Only $379.
    Might as well have been the national debt to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    Very nice shotguns! The closest I’ve got is a Remington 11-48 that I cut the barrel down to 19”
    You need a vertical fore grip like the 11-48 in my avatar.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List