Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Index Finger

Site Supporter

Missing Index Finger

Anyone have personal experience or helped someone who is missing their strong hand index finger?

Do people missing their index finger tend to do better using their middle finger on the trigger or learning to use their other hand?

Anything to keep in mind regarding weapon manipulations?

An academy mate of mine, in the revolver era, did just fine pulling the trigger of his L-frame revolver with his middle finger -- because his index finger was literally too short to reach it effectively...

My buddy lost his trigger finger on a roll press, barely missed a beat transitioning to his middle finger

Co-worker broke his index finger on the job, decided he could still shoot with his middle finger just fine, and he was able to. Just takes a bit to learn.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Anyone have personal experience or helped someone who is missing their strong hand index finger?

Do people missing their index finger tend to do better using their middle finger on the trigger or learning to use their other hand?

A missing index finger is, all in all, not a big deal. The middle readily substitutes for its role.

I would imagine most people still use their dominant hand with middle finger.

Many years ago I shot the Ohio USPSA Sectional with a 10 year old named Josey Wales Rainer. He shot a G34, IIRC. As I recall, His hands weren’t big enough for his index finger to reach the trigger correctly so he used his middle finger. He whipped about a 1/3 of the squad.

I didn’t see his brother Jesse James Rainer shoot.

The middle finger works just fine if you put the time in.

His dad owned Rainers Range in SE OH.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys, that's where I'm at with it too. And when I've had a broken index finger I used my middle one instead.

Someone missing that finger asked me about it, and I could swear I read a discussion about it a while back and a good shooter with a missing index finger said he found switching hands to be better. I thought it was here but a search came up empty. It may have been on the Enos forum or who knows where, or my brain is fucking with me and created a false memory.

A buddy recently trained with John Farnum. One or more of the drills was shot with the middle finger simulating a damaged index finger. Just might want to familiarize yourself in case it's needed.

A guy I know changed hands on pistol. I think he middle fingers a rifle or shotgun, though.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post

I have a female shooter at work who shoots with her middle finger. She isn’t missing her index finger but severely injured it while working as a K-9 handler (caught in a leash). She shoots fine with the middle finger.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-02-2019 at 12:29 AM.

User Tag List