Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fed up with crappy Multi-tool Pliers?

Fed up with crappy Multi-tool Pliers?

Multi Tool pliers are always, by necessity, a compromised design. They are better than finger pliers but they are not what you reach for if real work is required.
    But there is a terrific option for those who wish to upgrade their kit... Try out a set of Knipex Mini Cobra Pliers (model # 87 01 125).

These pliers are similar to traditional Channel Lock pliers, but 100 times better... made in Germany, built like a tank, and a far superior design. The locking adjustment means they never slip to a different setting and the design of the jaws works well on most anything, including nuts and bolts (it will chew shit up but the plier jaws will not be damaged). Plus, even though the pliers are very small the jaws open up to an astonishing 2" wide!
    And best of all, at just 5" long, the Mini Cobra's are small enough and light enough for anyone to carry but still do jobs that only full size pliers can usually handle.

As with all things in life, quality costs, so these pliers aren't cheap ($30 on Amazon is about the best you will find), but you are getting a premium made tool that will last you a lifetime.

You can just drop them in your pocket or gear bag but if you prefer a sheath I have found an easy solution. Go to Walmart and spend $10 on the shitty old Mini MagLight w/ Sheath combo pack they sell... Open the package, throw away the Mini-Mag, and use the belt sheath for your Cobra Pliers.
    NOTE: You will have to move the jaws down to the third adjustment notch (see pic) so they fold to their narrowest, but then they will slip right into the tube sheath. You can use the provided belt loop or cut it off and melt or sew the ends (this makes a good pocket sheath).

There are larger versions as well, and I keep a 7" pair in my Gear Bag to back up the Mini's and for those jobs where you need a set of pliers.

Give them a try and I guarantee you will wonder how you ever survived without them.

If anyone wants to buy this use the "shop Amazon" link at the top so PF benefits.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Knipex makes awesome stuff.

Their pliers like that grip harder than a pipe wrench.

Site Supporter
    This might be nice to have in the under-seat pouch of a bicycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I’ve been using Knipex tools at work for several years now. They are top notch.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

FYI, Keep your eyes out for Craftsman branded ones at garage sales/flea markets/Ebay, etc.

I remember when Sears used to sell these and they would go on sale (10" model) for $20. Couldn't buy enough of them (everybody I knew wanted them)

@GearFondler

Thanks, I'm gettin' some.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I grew up around farmers, carpenters, and machinists. All carried pocket knives, and a good number carried either small pliers or a 4" Crescent wrench.

Adding these to my amazon Xmas list.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Added to Christmas wish list, will definitely snag a pair.

Which of the kydex pros will come out with a AIWB option for these? Definitely needs a claw

I own these as well. Check out the combo with the pliers wrench. It's everything an adjustable wrench meant to be but wasn't. Comes in a carrying pouch which I can also carry a multi bit screwdriver in as well.

User Tag List