Thread: PSA: Ghost 360 Mag Pouch Cracking

PSA: Ghost 360 Mag Pouch Cracking

Just wanted to post up my experience with a set of Ghost 360 Universal Mag pouches.

I purchased four of these from the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop 11/11/17 for $23.95 each. Since that time, I've used them for 11 USPSA matches. (I'm currently a 36% D shooter in Production.) Up till this week, I hadn't had any issues with them. They are still available:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/ghost-...ine-mag-pouch/

However, I was making some adjustments on my belt and noticed one of the upper forward "ears" on one of them was broken. I examined the rest of them and found one that cracked in exactly the same place. The same piece detached with a light press. I then examined all the rest and found one completely cracked across such that the body of the pouch simple split in half.

Looking at the plastic construction, it appears two of them split along a crack starting with the hole tapped for the upper polymer adjustment screw. The plastic feels oddly stiff, almost but not quite like age-hardened bakelite. It's very brittle.

Name:  IMG_7511.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  38.1 KB

I just wanted to put this out there as information for anyone using Ghost 360 Universal Mag pouches in competition. You might want to examine this area for damage/cracking.

I'm actively sourcing a different brand / type of pouch as a replacement, and I have a pair of the DAA Racer polymer pouches on order to evaluate. I don't plan on ordering these Ghost pouches again.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/daa-ra...alpha-academy/

Did you use Locktite on the screw? That causes cracking.

Have you contacted Tim at BenStoegerProShop.com?

I have tried the DAA and CR Speed pouches, both much more expensive. I prefer the Ghosts for several reasons: simplicity, ergos, and they take up less space. The plastic springs inside are genius. I haven't found a pouch that I can pick a mag from better or faster.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Did you use Locktite on the screw? That causes cracking.

Have you contacted Tim at BenStoegerProShop.com?

I have tried the DAA and CR Speed pouches, both much more expensive. I prefer the Ghosts for several reasons: simplicity, ergos, and they take up less space. The plastic springs inside are genius. I haven't found a pouch that I can pick a mag from better or faster.
    No, no loctite. I looked at the Ghost product web page and didn't see a warranty policy declared, so I wasn't really looking for any "adjustment' from BSPS or Ghost. They are going on 2 years 10 months old. I just wanted to highlight my experience and in particular, suggest anyone who uses these pouches might want to give them an inspection.

I did forget to mention, the fractures all appear to stem from the same location; which for me (lefty) is at the forward upper "ear", which would be the most stressed, as that is the surface that bears on the front of the mag (G19) as they draw (again, for me).

I’ve had my Ghost pouches for 2-3 years now with no issues. I’ll take a look at them closer, but mine have worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The plastic springs inside are genius. I haven't found a pouch that I can pick a mag from better or faster.
    Just dumped the DAA plastic pouches for just that reason after trying 1 ghost pouch. Really crazy how slick they release and how simple the plastic spring is. Do you guys locktite any of the hardware on these? Haven't done it yet and never did my DAA and those would loosen up periodically.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

PSA: Ghost 360 Mag Pouch Cracking

It’s interesting to me, which side cracked on mine.

Are any of you guys leftys? If not, I assume that the side without the adjustment white screws faces forward for you? I’m wondering if the screws being forward for me as a lefty may induce unforeseen stress that the designers didn’t anticipate?

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Just dumped the DAA plastic pouches for just that reason after trying 1 ghost pouch. Really crazy how slick they release and how simple the plastic spring is. Do you guys locktite any of the hardware on these? Haven't done it yet and never did my DAA and those would loosen up periodically.
    Yes, I did try Loctite and my pouches cracked and fell apart. Tim sent me a whole new set for free.

Loctite causes stress fractures (crazing) in ABS thermoplastics.
    https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content...-2018-04-09pdf

I’ve loctited none of the pouches on my belt and they’re still solid.

User Tag List