Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Bullet Does Buffalo Bore Use in Their All-Copper 45 Colt Load?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Is your .45 Flattop a 5 or 6 shot?

Who built it?
    Six, and Ruger. It's one of the new small-frame Flat Tops on the same frame as the New Vaquero so it's nowhere near as cool as your 44 Flat Top. Came with a 45 ACP cylinder and the price was right so I jumped a bit too soon--I didn't realize that it's not rated for Ruger Only Loads.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Six, and Ruger. It's one of the new small-frame Flat Tops on the same frame as the New Vaquero so it's nowhere near as cool as your 44 Flat Top. Came with a 45 ACP cylinder and the price was right so I jumped a bit too soon--I didn't realize that it's not rated for Ruger Only Loads.

Okie John
    Grin, cool is quite subjective Brother!

Those new 45 Flattops are pretty freaking awesome in my book. The balance is amazing, especially if you swap out grip frame for an aluminum one, which most guys will to get the steel one.

They are probably one of the coolest pistols Ruger has done in years, considering that custom gunsmiths were building similar versions for years at x3-4 times the price.

Plus to be able to sit in a lawn chair with a cold drink, with the ACP cylinder in and just ring steel, and goof off with it is pure joy.

Mine still needs to have an action job. It is still too heavy trigger wise, but I don't mind too much, since the fun factor is still there.

Okie John
    I looked into those, and it seems like all the load data I found for 300 grain hard cast was going pretty slow. I'm not sure how well that 300 grain mono-metal bullet is going to work and stay within the constraints of your flat top. It's even longer than a lead bullet.

I imagine they'll handle "More than an 1873 Colt" but "Less than a large frame Blackhawk" loads. I think there are some loads for medium frame .45 Colt Blackhawks sprinkled through different issues of Handloader magazine, but I don't have any of them.

The October 2015 issue discusses Cutting Edge bullets specifically. It doesn't have .45 Colt loads, but it does have .44 mag. You can actually download the excerpt from that here.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I just picked this up. I'd be on the range today but I'm on the home-improvement tether today. I have a can full of 230-grain 45 ACP ball ammo that will soon fulfill its destiny.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I think it’s the Lehigh.

My compelling reason is hunting in California, or I’d be loading a Keith SWC.

Okie John
    Well, if you cast your own bullets, there is research going on right now with bismuth alloys: https://artfulbullet.com/index.php?t...-7#post-121871

Rotometals stocks a bismuth alloy now: https://www.rotometals.com/lead-free...bismuth-based/

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    My assumption is that it is a matter of "when" and not "if" Washington goes to all copper for hunting, so I'm planning all my future purchases accordingly.
    Are you in western Washington?

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Well, if you cast your own bullets, there is research going on right now with bismuth alloys: https://artfulbullet.com/index.php?t...-7#post-121871

Rotometals stocks a bismuth alloy now: https://www.rotometals.com/lead-free...bismuth-based/
    This changes a LOT of things.

Okie John

Are you in western Washington?

Okie John
    Yup. Closest place with a name is Yacolt.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Yup. Closest place with a name is Yacolt.
    OK. I know of a screaming deal on a stainless NMBH in 45 Colt but it’s in Pierce County.

Okie John

OK. I know of a screaming deal on a stainless NMBH in 45 Colt but it’s in Pierce County.

Okie John
    Last year this time, I would have been interested. Now I think I'd have to go up, make a deal, start the background check, and drive back up at some indeterminate time when the check was completed.

Thanks though.

User Tag List