Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Bullet Does Buffalo Bore Use in Their All-Copper 45 Colt Load?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Last year this time, I would have been interested. Now I think I'd have to go up, make a deal, start the background check, and drive back up at some indeterminate time when the check was completed.

Thanks though.
    No problem.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    My assumption is that it is a matter of "when" and not "if" Washington goes to all copper for hunting, so I'm planning all my future purchases accordingly.

Also, while I feel there is zero risk to humans via consumption using lead ammo, and no significant risk to raptor populations overall, there are isolated instances of individual birds getting lead poisoning from feeding on gut piles and carcasses. Solid copper bullets aren't really that much more expensive than other premium hunting bullets, so I'm slowly switching over to all copper for hunting.
    I was skeptical for a long time. Over the past year, several things have changed my mind:

1) A few guys at the range have asked me over the years "if lead is so bad for condors, why are there still so many turkey vultures around?" Until recently I couldn't get a good answer from my biologist friends. Last week, a Yurok biologist told me that they have "documented lead toxicity in vultures... there are just so many of them around that no one notices if a few die."

2) The same biologist showed me an x-ray of a deer carcass shot with conventional lead ammo. At high resolution, there was considerable dispersion of lead fines in the carcass well beyond from the bullet track. Most of it wouldn't be readily visible to the eye.

3) See the article at the link below, CBD has credibility with some of the best lawyers I know so I take them seriously. There are about a zillion additional references linked within the article:

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/...Ammunition.pdf

End result is that I'm now minimizing use of uncoated lead... coated bullets for quantity reloading + glove up, and copper for sighting in and backcountry use since any take of wildlife here now requires non-lead. I even cull invasive bullfrogs with CCI copper .22 LR.

User Tag List