Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Bullet Does Buffalo Bore Use in Their All-Copper 45 Colt Load?

What Bullet Does Buffalo Bore Use in Their All-Copper 45 Colt Load?

Anyone know? I need to handload some for a Ruger Flat Top.

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

They load 225 grain solid copper bullets that are clearly labeled "Barnes" so I'm guessing you're asking about the 300 grain load.

I'm reasonably sure that it's either 1) LeHigh's 300 Grain solid or 2) a solid copper slug from another maker that isn't otherwise available as a component.

My bet is on #1.

It's funny timing I'm going to buy a Blackhawk in the next year or two, and was just researching copper options.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I have no knowledge, but these look similar:

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/45-300gr-handgun-solid

There would have to be a really compelling reason for me to use those instead of https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-300gr-wfn-gc/
    Last edited by Hambo; 12-01-2019 at 06:20 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Or I guess there could be a third option....

Thanks for that. I note they make a similar bullet for .44, which doesn't make my 44 vs 45 option easier.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I think it’s the Lehigh.

My compelling reason is hunting in California, or I’d be loading a Keith SWC.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My assumption is that it is a matter of "when" and not "if" Washington goes to all copper for hunting, so I'm planning all my future purchases accordingly.

Also, while I feel there is zero risk to humans via consumption using lead ammo, and no significant risk to raptor populations overall, there are isolated instances of individual birds getting lead poisoning from feeding on gut piles and carcasses. Solid copper bullets aren't really that much more expensive than other premium hunting bullets, so I'm slowly switching over to all copper for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    My assumption is that it is a matter of "when" and not "if" Washington goes to all copper for hunting, so I'm planning all my future purchases accordingly.

Also, while I feel there is zero risk to humans via consumption using lead ammo, and no significant risk to raptor populations overall, there are isolated instances of individual birds getting lead poisoning from feeding on gut piles and carcasses. Solid copper bullets aren't really that much more expensive than other premium hunting bullets, so I'm slowly switching over to all copper for hunting.
    That makes sense. I'm down to 7mm Magnum, 308, and 30-06 for hunting rifles, though I wouldn't mind replacing the 7mm with a 338. Hunting revolvers are 44 Magnum and 45 Colt for now. Handloading has become a sometimes thing for me so I may standardize on the 44 to simplify logistics.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    That makes sense. I'm down to 7mm Magnum, 308, and 30-06 for hunting rifles, though I wouldn't mind replacing the 7mm with a 338. Hunting revolvers are 44 Magnum and 45 Colt for now. Handloading has become a sometimes thing for me so I may standardize on the 44 to simplify logistics.

Okie John
    I'm very much in a similar mode. I let two calibers go, and I'm down to hand loading lots of .357/.38 and small amounts of .308. I'm trying to decide if I want to add .44/.45 to the mix.

What it comes down to is "Do I want to handgun hunt elk?" My .357 works fine for deer.

I've been dicking around with guns less, and shooting them more.

Is your .45 Flattop a 5 or 6 shot?

Who built it?

User Tag List