Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best first complete AR-15?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Following with interest...
    Any thoughts on the value difference between the Super Duty currently on sale

https://geissele.com/super-duty-rifle-16.html

and the Super Duty LE?

https://geissele.com/super-duty-le-16-black.html

I see the addition of an ambidextrous safety (good for us southpaws), an upgraded trigger and charging handle, and a different handguard and flash suppressor.
    It seems like that might be well worth the extra $300.... somebody help me on assessing the value proposition here...
    The LE is out of stock.

The SD has a SF muzzle device that accepts cans.

The SD has the Nano coating on the muzzle device and BCG.

The SD has a nicer more functional handguard.

The SD has a Geissele trigger which is generally nicer than the ALG trigger.

The SD is available in 4 color options.

The SD comes with a nicer stock.

For me there would be no question.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tlong17I View Post
    14.5" barrel with pinned muzzle device or 16" barrel with removable muzzle device?
    Overall, not much difference. All else being equal, the 14.5 will be slightly lighter, while the 16” allows you to run a 15” handguard if you see the need. If you have long arms you might prefer it. If you want shorter/handier, 14.5 doesn’t do anything that 12.5 or 11.5 doesn’t do better. But then you run into the pistol/SBR restrictions, which is a whole ‘nother deal.

All that said, my favorite rifle I own has a 14.5 BCM ELW with pinned A2X.

I have a standard Duty Rifle and the Super Duty sitting in a cart waiting for me to decide which. @SeriousStudent says I should go with the standard. hmmmm.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    The LE is out of stock.

The SD has a SF muzzle device that accepts cans.

The SD has the Nano coating on the muzzle device and BCG.

The SD has a nicer more functional handguard.

The SD has a Geissele trigger which is generally nicer than the ALG trigger.

The SD is available in 4 color options.

The SD comes with a nicer stock.

For me there would be no question.
    The Super Duty also has Geissele’s new fancy BCG. According to them the life of their bolt is 5x that of a standard bolt because theirs are forged from a variant of Carpenter 158 steel that Geissele co-developed with Carpenter and the cam pin is machined from a fancy sounding medical steel.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I have a standard Duty Rifle and the Super Duty sitting in a cart waiting for me to decide which. @SeriousStudent says I should go with the standard. hmmmm.
    $237 price difference. For the extra $237 for the Super Duty you get:

Surefire muzzle device with proprietary Geissele coating instead of A2

Geissele’s enhanced reliability BCG

Geissele “Super mid length” gas system instead of a regular mid length (no idea what that means)

Cold Hammer Forged barrel instead of button rifled

Lightning Bow “SSA-E X” trigger instead of standard SSA-E

“Ultra Duty” lower parts kit instead of regular Super Duty lower parts kit

B5 enhances sopmod stock instead of CTR stock

Some of that sounds like marketing but some of those features sound pretty good.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post

Geissele “Super mid length” gas system instead of a regular mid length (no idea what that means)

Some of that sounds like marketing but some of those features sound pretty good.
    I’m contemplating the same thing...
    I just ordered the Super Duty. But only the “Duty Rifle” shows “in stock.”
    Marketing aside, is the Super Duty worth the extra $$?

My wife (God bless her) approved an AR as my Christmas present.
    Just wondering if the extra money over the Duty Rifle was well spent, or whether it would be smarter to cancel the Super Duty and order the Duty Rifle, which would likely actually be delivered in time for Christmas.

Again, this will be my first, and likely only, AR. So if the Super Duty has truly better upgrades, I’m okay with it, even if it arrives in January.

Thoughts?

And while I’m at it, suggestions for good Backup Iron Sights? Are Magpul sights worth the $150+ for the complete set? Other options?
    I’ll be getting a red dot as well.

Gyro, speaking for myself, a one AR kind of guy...I think you made the right choice.

When I bought my one and only AR a few years ago I wanted one that I didn't have to tinker too much with. New trigger, optic, sling, spring, light, and done. (The LEO price was about five hundred dollars below the MSRP on the S&W site.)

Get it right the first time and you won't have to bemoan not doing so later on. Just the opinion of a P-F interloper with a total of six firearms...four handguns, an AR and a shotgun.
    Last edited by blues; 11-30-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’m contemplating the same thing...
    I just ordered the Super Duty. But only the “Duty Rifle” shows “in stock.”
    Marketing aside, is the Super Duty worth the extra $$?

My wife (God bless her) approved an AR as my Christmas present.
    Just wondering if the extra money over the Duty Rifle was well spent, or whether it would be smarter to cancel the Super Duty and order the Duty Rifle, which would likely actually be delivered in time for Christmas.

Again, this will be my first, and likely only, AR. So if the Super Duty has truly better upgrades, I’m okay with it, even if it arrives in January.

Thoughts?

And while I’m at it, suggestions for good Backup Iron Sights? Are Magpul sights worth the $150+ for the complete set? Other options?
    I’ll be getting a red dot as well.
    You did good. Just like taking a test, your first instinct is right. Don’t second guess yourself.

As for BUIS I rarely buy anything but MBUS (plastic and $70 a set this weekend) these days. Modern optics are so reliable I can’t justify more money for metal ones.

I'm not sure which I would choose.

The muzzle device is only useful if you have a SF suppressor.

I'm always suspicious of "enhanced" BCGs. This one sounds good, but I have yet to have a failure of any kind in 5 BCM BGCs.

Can't figure out what the difference in gas system is.

Hammer forged barrels may have an edge in durability, but there is nothing wrong with a good button rifled barrel. In fact, some are more accurate than hammer forged.

I'm not sure what I think about the trigger. It looks ok, but I'm used to the standard SSA-E so I'd probably rather have that.

LPK: you get a heavier trigger guard and some special takedown pins. Pass.

I strongly prefer the CTR stock to the B5, but if you like that one it could be a good reason to go with the Super.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Can't figure out what the difference in gas system is.
    My guess that it's more optimized for a 16" barrel, so closer to an intermediate gas length system, making the dwell time similar to a 14.5" with a middy. These graphics are of Black River Tactical's extended gas length system, which is my guess something similar to what Geissele did:

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    This comparison should help show where we ended up with on the design.

From Left to Right:

14.5" Mid length, 16" BRT Extended length, 18.5" Rifle length, 16" Mid length

Source: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...99#post2398299

User Tag List