Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best first complete AR-15?

Best first complete AR-15?

I am completely new to rifles and am looking to buy a complete, out of the box and good to go AR-15. I feel more comfortable taking advice from the folks here then random Googling or most YouTube videos. The gun's main purpose would mostly be home defense and plinking but I also plan on taking some carbine classes as well. I am very much in the camp of "I don't know what I don't know" but I'm trying to learn. Searching PF provided some good info but I thought I'd start a thread and see what the latest consensus is. No interest (yet) in building something and I wouldn't even know where to start.

Budget is ~$1,000 for the gun. In your opinion, what would be the best complete AR-15 to buy for a first time AR owner? Guns/brands I am considering: S&W M&P Sport II, Colt 6920, BCM, Daniel Defense, Son of Liberty Gunworks. Again, I am very much a n00b so feel free to be very specific in terms of models and your must have features. Also, what should I be looking to purchase in addition to the rifle? Sling is a definite, optic (totally clueless here), light, etc? I've already planned on picking up some extra mags. I assume Magpul PMAGs are good to go.

Input is much appreciated! Thanks.

Colt, KAC (Knights), BCM.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Colt, KAC (Knights), BCM.
    Is the Colt 6920 still the gold standard?

On sale now, and a possible choice:

https://geissele.com/super-duty-rifle-16.html
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Saw that on reddit. Giessele is a solid choice?

While Colt, KAC and BCM are all 100% Good to go, you could literally just order the Geissele at the link and be totally squared away. No need to upgrade triggers, rails, anything.

Just put light, 2 point sling and optic of your choice on it and you are DONE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    While Colt, KAC and BCM are all 100% Good to go, you could literally just order the Geissele at the link and be totally squared away. No need to upgrade triggers, rails, anything.

So that's a maybe?

...kidding. Thanks for the candid feedback. Like I said, dont know what I dont know.

I can’t think of a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    So that's a maybe?

...kidding. Thanks for the candid feedback. Like I said, dont know what I dont know.
    I don't want to call my brother @Lost River a liar...but you're also gonna have to spring for the price of a magazine.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List