Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best first complete AR-15?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'm not sure which I would choose.

The muzzle device is only useful if you have a SF suppressor.

I'm always suspicious of "enhanced" BCGs. This one sounds good, but I have yet to have a failure of any kind in 5 BCM BGCs.

Can't figure out what the difference in gas system is.

Hammer forged barrels may have an edge in durability, but there is nothing wrong with a good button rifled barrel. In fact, some are more accurate than hammer forged.

I'm not sure what I think about the trigger. It looks ok, but I'm used to the standard SSA-E so I'd probably rather have that.

LPK: you get a heavier trigger guard and some special takedown pins. Pass.

I strongly prefer the CTR stock to the B5, but if you like that one it could be a good reason to go with the Super.
    I don't know how much of a gimmick or not it is but the super duty also has the tab at 12 o'clock on the rail that locks into the upper to prevent rotation

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    I am completely new to rifles and am looking to buy a complete, out of the box and good to go AR-15. I feel more comfortable taking advice from the folks here then random Googling or most YouTube videos. The gun's main purpose would mostly be home defense and plinking but I also plan on taking some carbine classes as well. I am very much in the camp of "I don't know what I don't know" but I'm trying to learn. Searching PF provided some good info but I thought I'd start a thread and see what the latest consensus is. No interest (yet) in building something and I wouldn't even know where to start.

Budget is ~$1,000 for the gun. In your opinion, what would be the best complete AR-15 to buy for a first time AR owner? Guns/brands I am considering: S&W M&P Sport II, Colt 6920, BCM, Daniel Defense, Son of Liberty Gunworks. Again, I am very much a n00b so feel free to be very specific in terms of models and your must have features. Also, what should I be looking to purchase in addition to the rifle? Sling is a definite, optic (totally clueless here), light, etc? I've already planned on picking up some extra mags. I assume Magpul PMAGs are good to go.

Input is much appreciated! Thanks.
    In your price range:

Colt, BCM, Sionics, Geissele and SOLGW.

Geiessle is the new hotness but I have had great experience with SOLGW.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    My guess that it's more optimized for a 16" barrel, so closer to an intermediate gas length system, making the dwell time similar to a 14.5" with a middy. These graphics are of Black River Tactical's extended gas length system, which is my guess something similar to what Geissele did:

Source: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...99#post2398299
    It's entirely possible my ignorance is showing, but that strikes me as a solution looking for a problem. Add a 20-in barrel with rifle gas into the system, and the 16-in middy won't look so out of place. There are already multiple factors available to tune the system. What happened to getting the gas port size right for the configuration? I would take a lot of convincing to choose a gas system for which I couldn't get a replacement gas tube anywhere AR parts are sold for $12-15.

I guess that means I would have to put an asterisk on my recommendation for the Geissele super duty gun a few pages back. I bought a lot of a new rifle from them this weekend, but the barrel will be a standard gas configuration, and it will also have Colt, BCM and Magpul bits on it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The other one I'm looking at is the Sionics Patrol Rifle 3 for $1050.
    David S.

I've had good results with my 11.5" Sionics pistol so far FWIW. I would definitely buy from them again.

I'll probably be the lone one mentioning it, but so far I've been extremely impressed with my SIG-Sauer M400 Tread as an upscale entry-level AR; I think there's a lot there for the money. Mine's been upgraded with the SIG 15" skeletonized handguard, SIG ambi charging lever, SIG Romeo5 RDS, Magpul MBUIS polymer BUIS, a SIG hand stop, and a VTAC sling. While I have some 30 round Magpul magazines, I prefer their 20 round ones.

Best, Jon

If you're not wedded to a new-in-the-box carbine, check out the modded Colt Trooper in the firearms classifieds here. It sounds like you could do way worse. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....G-s-Colt-lower
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    The other one I'm looking at is the Sionics Patrol Rifle 3 for $1050.
    I’ve got an older Sionics rifle so it’s probably a bit of an apples to oranges comparison looking at their offerings today but I am 100% satisfied with mine as far as reliability and accuracy are concerned. It’s been run through a number of carbine courses and hasn’t let me down yet. Customer service is very solid (IMO) in that I’ve contacted them with some questions over the years and they’d been responsive and satisfaction-focused. I’d buy from them again, though that Geissele looks great, as does Centurion Arms.

I will throw out the idea that, if you buy a complete lower, then a few days later buy a complete upper from the same place such as BCM, then you will save the 11(?)% federal excise tax.

My memory nay be faulty, though.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I will throw out the idea that, if you buy a complete lower, then a few days later buy a complete upper from the same place such as BCM, then you will save the 11(?)% federal excise tax.

My memory nay be faulty, though.
    You mean the 11% tax that generates monies for shooting ranges and firearms safety classes?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List