Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Glocks never fail

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The G21 I used for most of my time on SWAT had a round count in the many thousands, it was also my standard issue sidearm for road patrol. When I transferred to my last assignment I turned it in and was issued something different and it was very well used when I gave it back. The only issue I can ever recall was one light primer strike in more than ten years. However, you're absolutely right about most LE weapons not being a good barometer for durability. Not only are most of them shot only during qualification, but most agencies of any size have adopted the policy of replacement every X number of years, regardless of rounds fired. Other than the knocks received from riding in a duty holster, LE weapons don't really lead a hard life.
    Yeah, we qualify quarterly and our guys average 800 to 1,000 rounds per year. Apparently that is “high cotton” for a Agency.

Guys in specialized units shoot more. The P229 I referenced with the broken slide spring box had upwards of 25k rounds without a single recoil spring change. Definitely operator error as all of our guns or supposed to have the recall springs changed out two years prior regardless of round count. For some reason my agency is stuck on the idea of a service pistol going 10,000 rounds with no preventive maintenance or spring changes. The only gun I have seen capable of doing that has been the HK USP compact series.
    Most of the Glock issues I have seen have revolved around third generation 40 calibers or early Gen 4 9mms. The issues with both have been resolved in later generations.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-01-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yeah, we qualify quarterly and our guys average 800 to 1,000 rounds per year. Apparently that is “high cotton” for a Agency.

Guys in specialized units shoot more. The P229 I referenced with the broken slide spring box had upwards of 25k rounds without a single recoil spring change. Definitely operator error as all of our guns or supposed to have the recall springs changed out two years prior regardless of round count. For some reason my agency is stuck on the idea of a service pistol going 10,000 rounds with no preventive maintenance or spring changes. The only gun I have seen capable of doing that has been the HK USP compact series.
    Most of the Glock issues I have seen have revolved around third generation 40 calibers or early Gen 4 9mms. The issues with both have been resolved in later generations.
    My dept we fire maybe 180 a year. Not allowed to use PD gun range to practice. Im a member at a nice range with 3-4 other officers out of 160. I don’t think the others practice at all or maybe some might have the means at home? It don’t show in the shooting scores from what I see. But hey we are CALEA!

My old agency qualified quarterly, probably 400-600 rounds a year. Most of the guns didn't see any more than that. Hardly a stress test. In the division I retired from, we carried the G22 for a number of years, before switching to the G17 about 6-8 months before I retired. I long suspected we would have had trouble with the 22s if we had ran them hard.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk View Post
    My dept we fire maybe 180 a year. Not allowed to use PD gun range to practice. Im a member at a nice range with 3-4 other officers out of 160. I don’t think the others practice at all or maybe some might have the means at home? It don’t show in the shooting scores from what I see. But hey we are CALEA!
    We don’t have our own range locally. We currently use a multi agency county LE range for most of our training and a small PD Range for some speciaiized training. We have been having open range/practice sessions available in the afternoons but there has been minimal response. Not sure how much of that is lack of interest versus supervisors not letting people attend.

We would rather have supervised practice with coaching since practice makes permanent. We do give out practice ammo and targets for people to use on commercial ranges milk if they want to practice on their own. I usually recommend they use at least one box of the practice ammo to do that torture since it works a variety of skills.

We don’t have our own range locally. We currently use a multi agency county LE range for most of our training and a small PD Range for some speciaiized training. We have been having open range/practice sessions available in the afternoons but there has been minimal response. Not sure how much of that is lack of interest versus supervisors not letting people attend.

We would rather have supervised practice with coaching since practice makes permanent. We do give out practice ammo and targets for people to use on commercial ranges milk if they want to practice on their own. I usually recommend they use at least one box of the practice ammo to do that torture since it works a variety of skills.
    I shoot once or twice a week. Our shooting instructors don’t know how to teach or even what to look for. They are there for the rank and pay. Here’s a mag with a dummy in it, you’re flinching, no you’re jerking the trigger. That’s their help. I sought out a civilian pistol instructor who straighten my ass up quick. “My god man your grip sucks! Do this. Practice this”. I shoot great now. I shoot dot torture or a version of it every session. Most people think I’m weird doing it or doing 30 one shot draws, but man I can get a round on a small steel plate quick now.

Without going into the Make, never mind any specific Models, I have seen a significant number of stoppages appear on dashcam and BWC footage. Far more so than I'll see on the range unless we're intentionally inducing stoppages. The exception to that being Gen 3 G22s and poorly set-up, maintained 1911s.

In kicking this around with several others, more than a few of whom have hung out here, the consensus is that "something" with the grip is radically altered when bad things happen. That something leads to the stoppages. There were multiple OIS videos this past spring, summer with stoppages that had to be cleared.

As for getting on the radio before the problem is truly over ... it is a training problem. "We" keep telling, teaching them that the radio is their lifeline so they go to it when they really need to be ending the fight. Some of those instances are truly scary. Dispatch cannot help you. Hell, a lot of the time the cop in the adjacent beat can't help you then either.

"There were multiple OIS videos this past spring, summer with stoppages that had to be cleared."

I would have loved to have these videos when we were fighting over switching to a reliable system vs teaching people not to "limp wrist." It will be interesting to see where the profession goes as reality is played out on video as to what training standards and equipment works and doesn't work. Not that we don't already know some of the short comings, but how long can law enforcement and company administrators hide their heads in the sand and say they weren't aware of problems?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    In regards to the 92 I saw two separate 92FS barrels crack at one of the right angles above where the locking block sits. The rental range was brutal on guns. Preventative maintenance consisted of 1. Shoot to destruction. 2. Then assess.
    It sounds like we worked at the same range hahaha... very occasionally we'd have a new guy clean rental guns if it was slow or something. Generally they were just run hard until something broke.
    Last edited by Seven_Sicks_Two; 12-04-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JF1 View Post
    "There were multiple OIS videos this past spring, summer with stoppages that had to be cleared."

I would have loved to have these videos when we were fighting over switching to a reliable system vs teaching people not to "limp wrist." It will be interesting to see where the profession goes as reality is played out on video as to what training standards and equipment works and doesn't work. Not that we don't already know some of the short comings, but how long can law enforcement and company administrators hide their heads in the sand and say they weren't aware of problems?

I would like to hear more about that!

User Tag List