Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCRx 3" 357mag for heavier CCW and concealed field carry?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I was thinking in comparison to the 2" 38, what with the 3" mag version having several more ounces of weight and larger grips, it would be *slightly* more pleasant to shoot. I know it's not going to be "S&W 27" comfortable.

That said, 158gr SWC at 38 +P speeds might be a good compromise.

Chris
    I was giving my experience with the 2" .357 but clarifying I hadn't shot the 3".
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Finally found a video of some random guy shooting the 3" 357mag version. While he may or may not have good technique, it looks like recoil is more than I anticipated. I'm now thinking the 38 version may be a better choice. The BB 150gr Wadcutters or a warm 158gr SWC handload would be "good enough" I think.

Chris
    Given you're handloading anyway, why not just get the 357 and tailor the load, since that's what you're doing regardless?

And why not get the SP101 if you're looking at a trail gun? HKS speedloaders work for both the LCR and SP101, and it has the same manual of arms as the LCR. I used to own a 3" SP101, and the extra heft can handle a full house 357 a-ok. I had shot BuffaloBore's 1700fps 125gr load out of that without any problems.....shooting regular 38s out of a j-frame is much more painful.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-29-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If it handles anything like the SP101 with good grips then I’d say I wouldn’t be bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Given you're handloading anyway, why not just get the 357 and tailor the load, since that's what you're doing regardless?
    It's an option. I haven't made a decision one way or another yet.

And why not get the SP101 if you're looking at a trail gun? HKS speedloaders work for both the LCR and SP101, and it has the same manual of arms as the LCR. I used to own a 3" SP101, and the extra heft can handle a full house 357 a-ok. I had shot BuffaloBore's 1700fps 125gr load out of that without any problems.....shooting regular 38s out of a j-frame is much more painful.
    The benefit of the LCR, even in 3", is that it'll fit the same holster (DSG Apollo). I may actually CCW this "in town" as well. I also really like the LCR trigger. If I'm going to change holsters and carry more weight, then I might as well start looking at the Kimber K6s 3" and pick up an extra shot.

Chris

That makes sense.

Well, my vote is for the 357. No reason to not get it.

Though to be honest, you probably don't need a hard cast penetrator for the 4 legged threats in Appalachia. With Coywolves abound, I'd actually prefer a large capacity semi-auto. Those bastards don't care when you start killing their pack, they will be undeterred. I'd hate to have 6 coywolves coming after me while I have a 5 shot gun. That happened to a coworker of mine who got treed by them while bow-hunting, and after he ran out of arrows he had to call 911 and the PD came out and smoked the others.

They're fucking vicious creatures, and IMO when in Appalachia/eastern seaboard are of much more concern than the legacy predators of our grandfathers that the idea of woods revolver is built around.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-29-2019 at 08:16 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    That makes sense.

Well, my vote is for the 357. No reason to not get it.

Though to be honest, you probably don't need a hard cast penetrator for the 4 legged threats in Appalachia. With Coywolves abound, I'd actually prefer a large capacity semi-auto. Those bastards don't care when you start killing their pack, they will be undeterred. I'd hate to have 6 coywolves coming after me while I have a 5 shot gun. That happened to a coworker of mine who got treed by them while bow-hunting, and after he ran out of arrows he had to call 911 and the PD came out and smoked the others.

They're fucking vicious creatures, and IMO when in Appalachia/eastern seaboard are of much more concern than the legacy predators of our grandfathers that the idea of woods revolver is built around.
    I haven't seen anything I'd call a coywolf, just garden variety coyotes (had some around camp last weekend, but they stayed away from the immediate camp space). This is west of NoVA down I66 and a bit south on I81 (Thompson WMA, GWNF, etc). BTW, I already have the large-capacity-auto and carry that when the big bore revolver isn't a good choice outdoors, but I'm thinking forward to a possible future when I can't carry that gun.

Chris

Arent the .357 guns a couple oz heavier?

Might help with heavier .38 loads.

.357 light loads are also much better in a 3" gun than any .38+p.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

.357 light loads are also much better in a 3" gun than any .38+p.
    Yes, about 4oz IIRC. It should be softer shooting than the 2" 38 with the same load. The addition of the larger grip will further mitigate recoil.

Chris

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I can't imagine it's going to be very different from the 2" in the punishment department. I found 158gr full magnum loads to be like high-fiving a sledgehammer. 125gr loads were about as high as I could tolerate, and I wouldn't consider them fun. I stuck with 130gr +P.
    I went around the loop on .357 vs. .38 LCRx, both with 3-inch barrels. Ended up deciding that the .38 with good +P loads would be a sweet gun. The additional weight of the .357 puts it in another class, and I'm not sure of the value of .357 vs. a quality .38 +P load like Gold Dots, etc.

With Coywolves abound, I'd actually prefer a large capacity semi-auto. Those bastards don't care when you start killing their pack, they will be undeterred.
    The rule I've read on them is consistent with your friend's experience. Don't shoot one unless you have enough ammo to kill them all.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

That was my thought with buying the .357 version. I keep kicking around an LCRx 3" but my overall cheapness has prevented it to date.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List