Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCRx 3" 357mag for heavier CCW and concealed field carry?

Site Supporter

Ruger LCRx 3" 357mag for heavier CCW and concealed field carry?

I've had a 2" LCR in 38 for a few months now. It has displaced my J-frame as my lightweight CCW piece. With my recent order of a DSG Apollo, which supports up to a 3" barrel, I'm starting to think the 3" LCR will be a nice addition to my collection. But, if I'm going to get another gun, with a longer barrel, why not go full retard with 357mag? This could be my hot weather hiking/fishing CCW piece where concealing my 629 isn't practical and open carry isn't kosher. I could use the same holster and same speedloader as my 2" LCR.

The AO would be the creekside parks and trails of NoVA, and the Appalachian Mountains west of here (just below the WV border), so discretion is key. The threat profile "in town" would be aggressive dogs and your typical criminal types. In the mountains, more of the same with possibly the addition of coyotes and black bears (the latter two never being a credible threat to me personally).

Maybe not quite mag loads, but something along the line of 158gr-180gr hard cast LSWC or WFN bullets at 1000-1100 fps would be what I'd work up for this gun and purpose.

Has anyone spent time time with the 357mag 3" LCRx? How punishing is it to shoot with mag loads?

Chris

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Has anyone spent time time with the 357mag 3" LCRx? How punishing is it to shoot with mag loads?

Chris
    I can't imagine it's going to be very different from the 2" in the punishment department. I found 158gr full magnum loads to be like high-fiving a sledgehammer. 125gr loads were about as high as I could tolerate, and I wouldn't consider them fun. I stuck with 130gr +P.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I would think it would depend a lot on the grips.
    I might have one by now, but I have the 3" SP101.
    The 3" 357 LCR is not much heavier and not that much more expensive than the 3" 38, so you could get it and try it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I find my m66 about as light as id want to use for magnum use.

A .38 can easily push a 158 at 1000fps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I can't imagine it's going to be very different from the 2" in the punishment department. I found 158gr full magnum loads to be like high-fiving a sledgehammer. 125gr loads were about as high as I could tolerate, and I wouldn't consider them fun. I stuck with 130gr +P.
    I was thinking in comparison to the 2" 38, what with the 3" mag version having several more ounces of weight and larger grips, it would be *slightly* more pleasant to shoot. I know it's not going to be "S&W 27" comfortable.

That said, 158gr SWC at 38 +P speeds might be a good compromise.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I find my m66 about as light as id want to use for magnum use.

A .38 can easily push a 158 at 1000fps.
    I haven't owned or loaded 357mag in a decade and I never loaded 38 that warm, but what I'm reading agrees with you on the 158s@1000.

Chris

For a *hiking/trail* gun in current WV climate, one could do a lot worse than a lightweight 3" .357 with keith-ish .38 spec SWC solids as produced by buffalo bore or underwood, IMHO. Recoil on those brutish loads is up around 145 silvertip .357 level, but you could get through a cylinder full.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I haven't owned or loaded 357mag in a decade and I never loaded 38 that warm, but what I'm reading agrees with you on the 158s@1000.

Chris
    I use 5.2gr uniqe with 158gr bullet. Really not that harsh.

Site Supporter
    Finally found a video of some random guy shooting the 3" 357mag version. While he may or may not have good technique, it looks like recoil is more than I anticipated. I'm now thinking the 38 version may be a better choice. The BB 150gr Wadcutters or a warm 158gr SWC handload would be "good enough" I think.

Chris

Finally found a video of some random guy shooting the 3" 357mag version. While he may or may not have good technique, it looks like recoil is more than I anticipated. I'm now thinking the 38 version may be a better choice. The BB 150gr Wadcutters or a warm 158gr SWC handload would be "good enough" I think.

Chris
    Looks like $55 extra to open up you options...

User Tag List