Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCRx 3" 357mag for heavier CCW and concealed field carry?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Trigger on my .22 LCR measures 11.25#
    That's probably lighter than the DA pull on my K22, so I think it would be acceptable.

As far as your OP: I find the 9mm obnoxious to shoot and the .38 only slightly less so and, while they seem durable, accurate etc, I can’t see preferring one to a much easier to shoot G43 or G26 for your stated initial application of belt holster woods carry unless you just love revolvers.

The SP101 is much more pleasant for .38 and occasional .357, but much heavier and with a trigger of 10.25#
    Four reasons why I'm considering the LCR rather than the other options you mentioned.
    1. I like revolvers. I have 4x as many revolvers as I do semis.
    2. I have a holster that will fit my 2" LCR and the 3" model.
    3. The G43 is too small (have shot it before) and too limited in ammo selection (9mm issue, not specific to the 43).
    4. Some of the VA gun ban bill language that has been in and out of bills ban any magazines with removable floorplates or guns that can take mags greater than 10 rounds. That language has been removed, but it could always reappear. I don't want to invest in a gun I might not be able to use. As a result, for this exercise, I'm not considering semiautos. Otherwise, I've got a fine G19 that will get the job done.

Chris

Question

Trigger on my .22 LCR measures 11.25#

Compared to a worn in 9mm LCR: 8.25# and new .38 LCR: 8.75#

The .22 is heavy enough to feel fatiguing after a couple hundred rounds. It is delightful to shoot.

Loaded it weighs 3.30z less than the 9mm loaded. (15.7oz for .22, 19.0oz for the 9mm).
    Has anyone tried the Claude Werner-esque tactic of swapping a centerfire LCR mainspring into a rimfire one? Now that Wolff makes reduced LCR centerfire springs, it’d give you something to do with the removed one...

Rimfire LCRs can't be gamed as light as Smiths. Want to say Claude Werner posted about it in some article or other.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Good call on color for that Eldris. And, of all the threads here, this is the one to remind me I still need to pick up some 45 Super and check POI in my USP45c.
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 12-03-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Has anyone tried the Claude Werner-esque tactic of swapping a centerfire LCR mainspring into a rimfire one?
    The Internet has and has reported a high rate of light strikes.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Point Aficionado View Post
    Rimfire LCRs can't be gamed as light as Smiths. Want to say Claude Werner posted about it in some article or other.

Good call on color for that Eldris. And, of all the threads here, this is the one to remind me I still need to pick up some 45 Super and check POI in my USP45c.
    Thanks,

I am all about bright colors for knife handles that will be used outdoors. I don't want to have myself or a family member accidentally cut themselves when we are so many miles from proper medical attention.

Take for example this scalpel knife that I use for skinning. Due to the fact that my hands are usually extremely cold, plus the knife is slippery, slimy from goo (technical term), I take a tiny pair of pliers along to safely change the scalpel blades, rather than risk slicing my hands/fingers.

It is these little things that reduce risk.

Hard to see, but at the top of the trunk (spine) of the elk we are dressing out, there is a knife stuck there (a safer place than on the ground). It has an orange handle. Bright colors..

This was my daughters first elk. The pic was showing the projectiles path, and this was the offside shoulder where the 155 grain bullet exited. However the pic has ended up being used for other purposes I never though it would.

I really need to write a couple basic "how to" articles like Mas suggested a while back.

How to be a successful elk hunter when you are just a regular guy (not made of money)...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thanks,

I am all about bright colors for knife handles that will be used outdoors. I don't want to have myself or a family member accidentally cut themselves when we are so many miles from proper medical attention.

Take for example this scalpel knife that I use for skinning. Due to the fact that my hands are usually extremely cold, plus the knife is slippery, slimy from goo (technical term), I take a tiny pair of pliers along to safely change the scalpel blades, rather than risk slicing my hands/fingers.

It is these little things that reduce risk.
    Did I find the right one?

https://www.amazon.com/Havalon-HV60E...dp/B00JYEBUPW/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Yes, though from what I understand there are some with thicker blades now. The blade packs I am still using are quite thin. You must be careful when using them when you get around the bones, so as not to put too much side pressure on, as they are prone to snapping. It is not a big deal, as once you get the technique down you figure out how to do it without snapping them, but I may buy some thicker ones once I run out of the blades I have currently.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm not LR, but I really like the Gerber Vital over the Havalon in this style of knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Pocket.../dp/B00I9Y76VU

They're still bright orange, but the blade removal method is a lot safer. The Havalon and similar knives require that you pry the blade off. The Gerber uses a push button release that is shrouded by the thumb stud against accidental activation.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    I'm not LR, but I really like the Gerber Vital over the Havalon in this style of knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Pocket.../dp/B00I9Y76VU

They're still bright orange, but the blade removal method is a lot safer. The Havalon and similar knives require that you pry the blade off. The Gerber uses a push button release that is shrouded by the thumb stud against accidental activation.
    While I have not used the Gerber, I am going to roll with what SST has to say here, as that addresses the primary concern with the Havalon. It appears Gerber has improved the design a bit making it safer. I would be interested in trying one of the Gerbers. If I lose my Havalon, I believe I will pick up a Gerber to try.

If I lose my Havalon
    No such luck, it is orange!

User Tag List