Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCRx 3" 357mag for heavier CCW and concealed field carry?

Site Supporter
    I live a sheltered life out here in the AZ desert (ol' retired phart). What on earth are Coywolves?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I keep kicking around an LCRx 3" but my overall cheapness has prevented it to date.
    I am thinking a .22LR might be another interesting option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I live a sheltered life out here in the AZ desert (ol' retired phart). What on earth are Coywolves?

Dave
    Name:  Coywolf.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  53.3 KB

Coyote wolf hybrids that live in the mid-Atlantic and northern Appalachians all the way east to the shore, having been spotted in both Central Park NYC and Marine Corps Base Quantico. My laymen's understanding is they don't have a great survival instinct and aren't as afraid of humans as coyotes or wolves, likely exacerbated by our ever growing population and ever decreasing natural range/habitat for the animal.

Here's a rational article (hint, there's a lot of stupid shit out there ranging from clueless urban fear mongering to people saying it's a fake conspiracy): https://theconversation.com/why-the-...-coywolf-59214
    Last edited by TGS; 11-29-2019 at 10:34 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Very interested in hearing about anyone’s experience with a 3” .22LR LCRx. Could be a worthy companion to my 43c & 3” 63.

The 3 inch LCR has way better grips than the 2 inch gun and it is still fairly unpleasant to shoot with full house magnum rounds. Meanwhile, the .38 version is still pretty nice to shoot with Federal 158 grain +P semi-wadcutters, if you’re interested in a hotter round than a wadcutter. I personally don’t think the marginal ballistic gain from .357 is worth the decrease in shootability and increases in punishment and recoil.

If I’m going to rock a small magnum it’ll be an SP101

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That was my thought with buying the .357 version. I keep kicking around an LCRx 3" but my overall cheapness has prevented it to date.
    5.5oz heavier in the 3" version per Ruger's website. Where the 38 version uses aluminum, the 357mag version uses steel.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yup. I've been tempted to get one of those too. I haven't touched one yet, but the anecdotes of really heavy triggers puts me off.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Name:  Coywolf.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  53.3 KB

Coyote wolf hybrids that live in the mid-Atlantic and northern Appalachians all the way east to the shore, having been spotted in both Central Park NYC and Marine Corps Base Quantico. My laymen's understanding is they don't have a great survival instinct and aren't as afraid of humans as coyotes or wolves, likely exacerbated by our ever growing population and ever decreasing natural range/habitat for the animal.

Here's a rational article (hint, there's a lot of stupid shit out there ranging from clueless urban fear mongering to people saying it's a fake conspiracy): https://theconversation.com/why-the-...-coywolf-59214
    Very interesting, thanks!

I had always assumed what I was seeing was a regular coyote. Based on that article, there's no such thing in the mid-Atlantic region, they're all hybridized 'yotes. The increased size may be why they're seen as being a significant predator of whitetail deer, which explains why the deer population has been dropping where the coyote/coywolf population has increased (such as the valley I hunt every fall). A series of articles I read in Whitetail Times specifically mentioned coyotes, but didn't delve into the coyote vs coywolf discussion.

That said, most of the coyotes I've seen/heard in the Appalachians near NoVA (ie Winchester south to Harrisonburg along I81 and the foothills along I66) have not been overly comfortable with humans, staying away for the most part. It was in the Jefferson NF in SW VA that I came face-to-face with one who wasn't particularly bothered by my presence. He ultimately trotted off after we stared at each other for 10 seconds or so, separated by 25yds or so.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The 3 inch LCR has way better grips than the 2 inch gun and it is still fairly unpleasant to shoot with full house magnum rounds. Meanwhile, the .38 version is still pretty nice to shoot with Federal 158 grain +P semi-wadcutters, if you’re interested in a hotter round than a wadcutter. I personally don’t think the marginal ballistic gain from .357 is worth the decrease in shootability and increases in punishment and recoil.

If I’m going to rock a small magnum it’ll be an SP101
    My thought process on this has evolved thusly:
    Full power magnums are not likely to be used.
    38 +P+ handloads are probably the upper end load.
    Using mag brass for the +p+ loads will keep them out of my vintage 38s and my "user" snubnose 38s (I don't currently own any 357mag guns). The longer cases will make it easier to identify them as loads specific to this gun (ie hot).
    The heavier frame of the 357mag version will make it more pleasant to shoot.

I had considered an SP101 as well as the Kimber K5s, both in 3", but the LCRx 3" will drop right into the same holster I use for my current LCR. I really like the LCR trigger compared to the SP101. I haven't tried the K6s, but I understand it has a nice trigger as well, so the main issue there is the holster compatibility.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Very interested in hearing about anyone’s experience with a 3” .22LR LCRx. Could be a worthy companion to my 43c & 3” 63.
    Buddy has a 3" 22WMR that is awesome. Put the OEM two-finger grip from my standard 22LR LCR in it for him and it just dissapears AOWB on the guy. I'd imagine the 22LR would be more of the same plus two rounds. Personally torn between waiting for a hopeful eventual release of a 3" .327 LCRX, currently available 3" .357 LCRX, or companion to my Rule #1 gun 3" .22 LCRX. Any of which would get a purple two-finger Hogue.

If they released any chambering as a 3" hammerless with the fixed sights of the snubs, I'd sell my Glocks to fund one ASAP.

As for trigger pull on the rimfire LCRs, keep them brushed clean and follow Ruger's manual line about lightly lubing the hammer pin every thousand trigger pulls. It is heavy but so smooth that it shoots great with a little trigger time.
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 11-30-2019 at 08:36 AM.

User Tag List