Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooter's belt holster recommendation?

Site Supporter

Shooter's belt holster recommendation?

Hi all,

I am putting together my first range/shooter/home defense belt. (No, I'm not calling it a "war belt".) I've got a Blue Alpha Gear dual layer molle belt, Esstac Kywi pouches, and a BFG micro trauma kit. Now I need a holster for my G17. I've looked at lots of different options from Safariland, G-Code, Trex Arms, Tier 1, Bladetech, JMCK, etc. I'd like a belt-mounted holster that rides at belt height and is kept rather tight to the body. No need for a drop leg. Not sure which type of retention I really need. Friction may be just fine. What options do you suggest? Is Safariland ALS really the right choice everyone says it is? I'd just as soon go with a JMCK OWB1 or OWB2 if it would work. I use JMCK for all my other holster needs. Thanks!

Chris

Site Supporter
    I am going thru this as we speak updating my training/class belts for both Glock and 1911 platforms. I presently am using a Frank Proctor Way of the Gun Drop Kydex for my g35/34/22/17/19 pistols and a Blade Tech Injection Molded model for my 1911.

As time/talent/treasure permit, I will move at least the 1911 belt to a Safariland GLS. From my limited experience, I think the GLS is a little more fumble proof and glove friendly than the ALS. Between the generally included belt loop and sub 20.00 UBL drop attachments, one is well covered from running on the belt, under the vest, over the winter coat etc. The Safariland polymer holster bodies, to me, seem a little more durable than traditional kydex. Finally, the Safariland gives a bit of retention in this "open carry" system while still being very fast to present from with just a bit of practice.

YMMV greatly

There's that Raven Perun for $40.

I agree the Raven Perun is an option, but since the Perun is a decent OWB for concealment - which isn't important in this case, I'd go with the ALS for the retention.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    There's that Raven Perun for $40.

Train with what you carry. Training with a DOH battle belt setup is just burning bad reps for a guy that carries concealed on a daily basis.

The Perun is a very versatile holster. I'm wearing one concealed right now.

If it's overt you need to have retention.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Thank you everyone for the input! I agree with the need for retention. Of these, which might you recommend? Pros/cons of each? @voodoo_man

Safariland 7377 7TS ALS Concealment Holster
    Safariland 578 Pro-Fit GLS (Grip Lock System) Holster
    Safariland 6378 ALS Holster
    Safariland 577 Pro-Fit GLS Holster
    Safariland 576 Pro-Fit GLS Hi-Ride Holster
    Safariland 5378 GLS (Grip Lock System) Holster
    Last edited by Chris17404; 11-30-2019 at 04:28 PM.

I did this recently, using a HSGI 1.75" cobra belt and a micro grip liner. The idea was to have something that can go over cold/inclement weather clothing (so no inner belt) and perhaps work for classes where concealment isn't the route to go. It may also get hiked with, situation depending.

I chose a Safariland, specifically a 6360RDS. I felt retention was important for anything I'd use outdoors or do potentially vigorous activity with (classes). I'm not concerned about a gun grab but I am concerned about vegetation or a barrier knocking the gun loose.

I use a UBL mid-ride loop with a QLS fork. This enables me to swap holsters quickly should I have a need for that, and also allows me to snap the holster onto my nightstand (nerd thing about having an open trigger guard exposed - my pets are assholes).

I used three Blade Tech mag pouches on Tek Locks for now. If I had my choice, I'd put the mags on Safariland ELS to have the ability to quickly change configuration, but I'm a sucker for a good deal so I went with the Blade Techs.

Right now I just have a CAT on the belt. I figure in a class setup a tourniquet is about all the self-aid I'm going to need until the aid bag makes it to me. I'll be doing a trauma class this week and once I get some education on the topic that may change.

I'd like to add a dump pouch for the random shit that always ends up being carried to the line (water bottle, loose rounds additional mags, etc.), but I'm still deciding on what I'll add there.

For what you describe, I think a 7TS and a QLS fork is the way to go. It's high quality, fast, and relatively inexpensive. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Thank you everyone for the input! I agree with the need for retention. Of these, which might you recommend? Pros/cons of each? @voodoo_man

I have been using the lvl3 retention 7ts on duty since it came out and am very happy with it.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post

I'd go with the 7377 - or if you think you'd ever use the paddle version get the 7378 (combo loop and paddle attachments).

User Tag List