Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evidently, I unintentionally double tap all centerfire seimiauto pistols in SA mo now

Evidently, I unintentionally double tap all centerfire seimiauto pistols in SA mode

I have some issues with my coordination. I was evaluated for neurological impairment back in 2nd grade due to poor gym class performance.

I have learned to work around my issues, mostly by keeping the KISS rule holy. All my current go-to pistols are DA/DAO, and the vast majority of my shooting is DA.

In the past half year, I have shot 3 centerfire semis: a Les Baer 1911 .45 (dear lord, what a gun), and my PT92AF(make your jokes, mine's been a tank for 30 years+) and my PX4. Unintended double-taps with all. I wrote off the Les Baer as a light trigger issue, but lord knows that's not the case with the Taurus. Things with my px4 were much better after 100 rounds downrange, but I still wouldn't want to run it with adrenaline surging through my bloodstream.

Seems like I need I to make sure some TDA is on the menu more often. I really have a problem with switching platforms. Even switching grip for different pistols is an issue for me. I have got used to the "hand-grips-hand" technique I have to use for my 640 and p32 and I tend to naturally grip everything that way now. I have to consiously shift to a two-hands-making-contact-with-the-pistol grip with bigger guns.

I know, nothing practice can't fix. Mostly venting, but any suggestions are welcome, especially specific drills. Dryfire SA practice with the Storm would probably help.

Part of me just thinks "go 100% DAO." An even darker part of me says "maybe the Glock trigger actually makes sense."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Last edited by Baldanders; 11-29-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Part of me just thinks "go 100% DAO." An even darker part of me says "maybe the Glock trigger actually makes sense."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Good luck with your issue.

My first thought was a heavy smooth Glock trigger with a hard wall. I’m not sure what combo of springs and connector would do that.

I don't have a neurological problem but I am 71 yrs old so I have to assume my fine motor control isn't what it was 10-20 yrs ago. I shoot Beretta 92s mostly and I shoot local IDPA so I have used a bunch of LTT parts to help me. But I have also found that as I lighten the DA pull, inevitably, the SA pull lightens too. And I have had a few unexpected double taps. Right now I am using LTT NP3 trigger parts except a stock sear so my SA pull could be less but I don't want it lighter than it is. A thought re; the Taurus. I have never touched one but I believe it is very similar to a Beretta 92. W/ a B92 you can simply remove the sear and sear spring and now you have a DAO pistol. Little weird because it still has the safety lever but it would be a simple experiment and easily reversible. I have a PX4 but haven't messed w/ it much so not exactly sure on a DAO conversion but they are sold w/ that action so I think it's possible. LTT could advise you on the PX4. Since you are already familiar w/ those two pistols I'd concentrate on how to make them suit you better. Over the last 3 yrs or so the Glocks and M&P striker fire guns have all improved (usually lightened) their triggers so a bone stock new one will likely have a 4-5# trigger pull. 5 yrs ago we moved to Va where we could carry so my wife got a Glock 19 and I got and M&P compact. IMHO both triggers were lighter than I was comfortable w/ for carry so I actually made them heavier, especially the pre travel. So I would not view them as a potential fix. Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by OdinIII View Post
    Good luck with your issue.

My first thought was a heavy smooth Glock trigger with a hard wall. I’m not sure what combo of springs and connector would do that.
    I realized I had a session with my Dad's XD in the last 6 months-- no issues.

I think it is specific to true SA pulls.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Heavy LEM may work best.

Have you had your neurological issues checked recently? It’s 2019 (almost 2020) and you aren’t in second grade anymore, there are lots of new treatments and/or meds that may well help control/improve things.

I have fairly bad restless limb syndrome, along with very twitchy reflexes, beside essential tremor. Had those things my whole life. My recent neurology check-up including MRI didn’t reveal a source to the problems, but since I have all these things in concert with migraines my docs prescribed a healthy dose of Neurontin. Which helps prevent migraines, helps with essential tremor and RLS, and helps me sleep. AND I’ve noticed it has steadied my hands and shooting overall, especially with lighter guns and lighter triggers.

My preferred trigger in gen 2 and 3 Glocks is a NY1 trigger spring w/ "-" connector (the Zev Pro-Con is ecxellent).

Since I can't duplicate that in gen 4, I just use a standard, non-stop factory connector.

One of these configurations might help you.

Site Supporter
    No jokes about the op's Taurus. I have had two of the early ones made in an arsenal on new machinery. They were ok.

Unintended double taps may result from the same process that allows bump firing in semi auto rifles. I noticed the same with pistols. Curious, I purposely duplicated this by riding the trigger to reset and then using recoil to assist in pulling the trigger for the next shot. I was experimenting and then playing. Perhaps the op can avoid double taps by paying more attention to trigger manipulation and even try changing grip. Needless to say, trigger pull weight is a big factor.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Heavy LEM may work best.

Have you had your neurological issues checked recently? It’s 2019 (almost 2020) and you aren’t in second grade anymore, there are lots of new treatments and/or meds that may well help control/improve things.

I have fairly bad restless limb syndrome, along with very twitchy reflexes, beside essential tremor. Had those things my whole life. My recent neurology check-up including MRI didn’t reveal a source to the problems, but since I have all these things in concert with migraines my docs prescribed a healthy dose of Neurontin. Which helps prevent migraines, helps with essential tremor and RLS, and helps me sleep. AND I’ve noticed it has steadied my hands and shooting overall, especially with lighter guns and lighter triggers.
    After struggling through college (but crusing through high school with good grades), I got diagnosed with ADD w/o hyperactivity. Most of my coordination problems seem to fit into "trying to use the parts of my brain that I use to write to move my body." It's a long and tedious story. Long story short, I need to avoid internal dialogue with myself during physical activities, and I am a very slow learner when it comes to anything physical-- even video games. I can get to the place where most people can, it just takes longer and more effort.

It took me awhile to adapt to my friend's P226 SA pull when I first shot it years ago (when I was "set" for Glock triggers, no TDA in my collection at the time). I kept stopping my pull when the creep ended. I was totally in the TDA "set" a few years back, and no issues. But I have to maintain practice to maintain my "set," or I start having issues.

I put my px4 back into the dryfire practice regimen last night. DA first shot, then rack slide while trigger is still fully depressed, let trigger hit reset, then trigger press, then rack slide while trigger is fully depressed, etc.

TLDR: my limitations are why I went DAO to begin with. But I am freaked out by having guns that I have been able to run well enough for self-defense be guns I can't run with control at the moment.

On the upside, my DA control is great(for me). I shoot tighter 6 shot DA groups (decocker every shot) with my px4 than I do SA.

Thanks for the feedback, y'all!
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Heavy LEM may work best.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Even the light LEM or TLG version might be ok, because of the long length of the trigger pull.
    Last edited by Mark D; 11-30-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Don't even bother with reset.

Finger all the way off the trigger between shots.

Might help.

User Tag List