Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evidently, I unintentionally double tap all centerfire seimiauto pistols in SA mo now

Have you considered adjusting your sear spring on your Les Baer?

Or set it aside and pop a new one that has been adjusted to your liking that gives you a heavier pull.
    That and a heavier hammer spring.

A 5-6# pull would help slow you down I would imagine, at least on the hardware side.
    This will give you time to seek a solution on the software side.

In one of his videos Ernest Langdon says that it is the long pull, not the weight, that makes the first shot in DA a safety item. Based on that, maybe a DAO is your best bet. There are several revolver shooters in our IDPA matches that I watch out of curiosity and the DA pull doesn't seem to slow them at all. Reloading after every 6 shots is what kills their speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Have you considered adjusting your sear spring on your Les Baer?

Or set it aside and pop a new one that has been adjusted to your liking that gives you a heavier pull.
    That and a heavier hammer spring.

A 5-6# pull would help slow you down I would imagine, at least on the hardware side.
    This will give you time to seek a solution on the software side.
    Les Baer is a friend's gun...unfortunately.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Don't even bother with reset.

Finger all the way off the trigger between shots.

Might help.
    That's an interesting thought, thanks.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Les Baer is a friend's gun...unfortunately.
    That's a good friend.

Pull the trigger harder or grip harder. My guess is that your releasing the trigger under recoil, well you're not really releasing the trigger, the pistol is moving backwards in your hand under recoil and your hand and trigger finger is staying put. You then grip harder to keep a hold on the pistol and inadvertently crank off a second round. You probably do the same thing with a DAO but there isn't enough movement to reset the trigger.

This is the same thing that happens with .500 S&W double taps.
    Last edited by txdpd; 12-08-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Pull the trigger harder or grip harder. My guess is that your releasing the trigger under recoil, well you're not really releasing the trigger, the pistol is moving backwards in your hand under recoil and your hand and trigger finger is staying put. You then grip harder to keep a hold on the pistol and inadvertently crank off a second round. You probably do the same thing with a DAO but there isn't enough movement to reset the trigger.

This is the same thing that happens with .500 S&W double taps.
    I will give this a shot too--problem with this idea is that after a mag in each gun I stop double-tapping without altering my grip.

I think I'm used just used to putting too much pressure on the trigger after the reset because I'm so "programmed" for long DA pulls.

I'm not joking when I say I have had the opposite problem on the SA pull on TDA guns-- I can easily find myself not following through and stopping my trigger pull once I'm past the "slop." This happened a few times during my last range session where I also was unloosing unintentional double taps IN THE SAME MAGAZINE.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    See if you can take video of yourself. It may be that your phone can shoot 2x speed, which will at least help you maybe figure out what's going on. A decent handy cam should shoot 60 frames/sec or so, which works out to 15 frames of a .25 split (don't know where you are on that, but just as a point of reference).
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    After struggling through college (but crusing through high school with good grades), I got diagnosed with ADD w/o hyperactivity. Most of my coordination problems seem to fit into "trying to use the parts of my brain that I use to write to move my body." It's a long and tedious story. Long story short, I need to avoid internal dialogue with myself during physical activities, and I am a very slow learner when it comes to anything physical-- even video games. I can get to the place where most people can, it just takes longer and more effort.
    I have no idea what any of that means, and with the exception of doctors on the board, I doubt many others do, either. I would recommend talking to whatever kind of doc diagnosed your problems. Maybe they can recommend specialized physical or occupational therapy.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I have no idea what any of that means, and with the exception of doctors on the board, I doubt many others do, either. I would recommend talking to whatever kind of doc diagnosed your problems. Maybe they can recommend specialized physical or occupational therapy.
    Doctors provided diagnosis, but all work on my physical problems has been a journey of self-discovery and experimentation. Going from shooting shotgun patterns to groups was a journey that showed me I could be OK at anything vaguely athletic.

For instance: during college I was out at the beach after classes let out. We were scrambling up some rocky hill, I was flailing around and stumbling around in danger of falling over. One of my friends yells at me "Stop thinking! You're thinking too damn much!" About two seconds later, I was walking with no trouble. And I've been "cured" ever since.

I am already a pure DA shooter already, as far as pistols I would use for self-defense. DAO everything would be fine (Beretta fanboy for semis), but I want to be on form when the Les Baer and the tricked-out P226 my friends own come to play in my backyard.

Main issue is pride, not practicality.

Never tried a DAK trigger, but I never understood the advantage over DAO. "Safe-action" and other striker-fired guns have never given me an issue. I do well with higher levels of feedback. I thought up to now that TDA was the perfect companion for DA, but I think my DA skills my translate better to Glocks--which is a bummer since I own none at the moment. (Good excuse to buy a G46 if they come over to the US)

I'm sure keeping my px4 in the regular shooting mix would completely solve this problem, but for me putting in trigger time with my 9mm TDAs over my revolvers/DAO guns is both less practical and less fun.

Again, thanks everone for all the feedback. I do need to film myself sometime.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 12-10-2019 at 08:28 PM.

User Tag List