Thread: 6.5 PRC, Anyone?

6.5 PRC, Anyone?

Just like the title says, anyone with real world experience, or just thoughts on the matter feel free to chime in.

I'm planning a rifle project, the 6.5 PRC looks really good on paper, and on the the internet. Problem is, I often question how real internet reviews really are.

Planned usage, white tail and muley hunting in Eastern and Western South Dakota.
    Expected ranges, 100-500, and one spot where a 600 yard is quite possible after the bucks get skittish from pressure. I like the fact that the 6.5 PRC is still carrying good energy at that range, and the recoil is pretty moderate. Give me a light recoiling round that enables me to stay on the glass, and hits with good energy, all day, every day.

Planned platform will be a Seekins Precision Havak Pro Hunter 2, https://www.cstactical.com/seekins-p...unter-ph2.aspx.

I need to Hit up CSTactical and get their input.

Any thoughts from the Forum?
    "And for a regular dude I知 maybe okay...but what I learned is if there痴 a door, I知 going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Just like the title says, anyone with real world experience, or just thoughts on the matter feel free to chime in.

I'm planning a rifle project, the 6.5 PRC looks really good on paper, and on the the internet. Problem is, I often question how real internet reviews really are.

Planned usage, white tail and muley hunting in Eastern and Western South Dakota.
    Expected ranges, 100-500, and one spot where a 600 yard is quite possible after the bucks get skittish from pressure. I like the fact that the 6.5 PRC is still carrying good energy at that range, and the recoil is pretty moderate. Give me a light recoiling round that enables me to stay on the glass, and hits with good energy, all day, every day.

Planned platform will be a Seekins Precision Havak Pro Hunter 2, https://www.cstactical.com/seekins-p...unter-ph2.aspx.

We actually built a 6.5 PRC off of a Steel Core .308 rifle recently for the boss to use for an Elk hunt just this last week in Utah.
    He hit an Elk at just 350 yards and the elk dropped right on the spot hit at the rib cage which was not where he wanted to hit it but was very effective. He was planning on taking a shot out to 800+ if needed and the 6.5 PRC with a good bullet is still in its comfort zone for that size of animal at that range. At higher altitude with it's very good BC it still has plenty of energy at 1,000 yards if the rest of the conditions are decent.
    For beyond that range, lower altitude, heavy winds, bigger animals than you may want to run a type of long action with a good BC like 300 PRC, 300 Win Mag etc...

Here was this overkill of a hunting rifle haha
    Steel Core Cyclone Short Action in 6.5 PRC work performed by Spartan Precision Rifles
    Proof research Carbon Fiber Barrel
    Zero Compromise ZC527 5-27x56 MPCT2 with American Rifle Company Rings
    Silencerco Harvestor Supressor
    MDT Ckye Pod
    147 Grain Hornady ELD Match

CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Oh and that rifle is an excellent deal at that price, we're trying to get as many as they build as it's a very popular overall package right now.
    Last edited by CS Tactical; 11-29-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

My altitudes will vary from 1700' to 2600'.
    Is there really much difference between the PH1 and the PH 2?

White tail and Muley will be the biggest I go after, the odds of me drawing an elk tag are pretty much nil.
    "And for a regular dude I知 maybe okay...but what I learned is if there痴 a door, I知 going out it not in it"-Duke

My altitudes will vary from 1700' to 2600'.
    Is there really much difference between the PH1 and the PH 2?

White tail and Muley will be the biggest I go after, the odds of me drawing an elk tag are pretty much nil.
    The main difference is that the PH2 is still being produced
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter

Shot a buddies custom 6mm PRC, at 200 yards it was going through a steel target like the proverbial hot knife through butter.
    Recoil was moderate and it was easy to stay in glass and watch for trace /impacts.

Recoil is not bad IMO... I can't get it to embed but check out the condensed video below

https://i.imgur.com/Qa1zXdL.mp4
    Last edited by CS Tactical; 11-29-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    The main difference is that the PH2 is still being produced
    I'm seeing PH1's NIB for sale. In your experienced opinion, is the PH2 an upgrade, or more of a competitive price point match?

I'm seeing PH1's NIB for sale. In your experienced opinion, is the PH2 an upgrade, or more of a competitive price point match?

Honestly I don't know off the top of my head, they were so tough to find the PH1's that I think only one came through the shop awhile back.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List