Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Feral hog defense

I thought more would get it. I have bits of knowledge about odd weapons. I don't know about educated ?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    My experience with hogs is pretty limited, but I had the opportunity a few years ago to do some wild pig hunting near the Central California coast with some buddies. Rifles used included a .308 Saiga, a 16" AR in 5.56 (mine, loaded with 62gr TSXs), a Shuff's Mini G Tanker Garand, and some flavor of bolt gun in .257 Roberts (we're an odd bunch). Pistols were mostly service size 9mms loaded with Hornady Critical Duty 135 +P, along with a S&W 6" 686 with generic soft points.

The rifles all performed fine as long as shots were well-placed. We shot several hogs with the handguns, and used the pistols to put down a handful of mortally wounded animals. While Critical Duty likely wouldn't be my first choice these days, they performed pretty well out of a 19, 34, and 92FS. I'd feel fairly confident in hog country with a 9mm that I shot well, loaded with a deep-penetrating bullet (especially with 15+ rounds on tap).
    Was anything resembling a post mortem done on bullet performance, specifically the Hornady Critical Duty load?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

ABC News Affiliate Recommends Carrying Guns For Hog Defense

Interesting; a major news media outlet advocates carrying guns for defense against feral hogs. This is, of course, the area where a woman was recently killed by feral hogs.

https://abc13.com/pets-animals/3-day...ttack/5768249/
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Thornberry also adds that people carry a gun and stay close to the trees in case they need to make a quick escape
    Oy.

In terms of numbers, the best way to get rid of hogs is corral trapping. It's not as much fun as hunting them, but it will clean out an area pretty quickly.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List