Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feral hog defense

Feral hog defense

I see a Grizzly bear defense thread about every month and I've never seen a feral hog defense discussion.

So here it is and it's dedicated to everyone in Texas who has never even seen a grizz except maybe mounted in Cabelas.

My feral hog defense would be 9mm and lots of it cause evidently it will be more than one if you have to deal with them, like zombies.

They're also smarter than bears so they probably have some sort of command structure.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-27-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I had never worried about hogs other than a female with piglets. My viewpoint recently became more cautious. But my experience has been that they run away from people. Now I have a hypothesis about their behavior. Those that do not avoid people learned this behavior from their group. Piglets born into populations that ignore human beings are reinforced to continue acting in this manner because it allows them to find food easily. Positive reinforcement occurs much more frequently than negative reinforcement. I observed the same phenomenon with crows. In my yard, they ignore me. In the country I can't get near them. Some coyote populations kill livestock. Others don't. Shooting coyotes might result in killing those who do not attack young calves with the result that more agressive dogs replace the first group.

I am not certain that one's sidearm would be much protection against a pack of hogs unless noise from firing would run them off. Whenever I would travel through thick underbrush in hog territory, I would blow an old school cop whistle in order not to surprise a female with babies. In my native Mississippi, hogs are great pests to moon shiners because fermenting mash attracts them. Like everybody else, they act stupid when drunk.
    Last edited by willie; 11-27-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Both times I've run into hogs in the field, I saw a huge set of balls running the opposite direction from me. I would guess there are probably more people killed per year by pit bulls than wild hogs. Now if you hunt them with dogs or trap them you're very likely to get charged. They can destroy a trap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andre3k; 11-27-2019 at 10:42 PM.

(Some folks here will get this)
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Both times I've run into hogs in the field, I saw a huge set of balls running the opposite direction from me. I would guess there are probably more people killed per year by pit bulls than wild hogs. Now if you hunt them with dogs or trap them you're very likely to get charged. They can destroy a trap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    34 Texans were killed by dogs from 2004 to 2013... Maybe we need a dog defense thread too.

Jeff Cooper would say if you shot the leader, the rest of the group would have a major attitude adjustment.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't know if hogs will turn away from OC/bear spray like dogs will.

Still, bear in mind a big dog is 150 pounds and a small feral boar is 150 pounds. If you're dealing with normal size feral hogs, you're starting to deal with a larger class of animal. It maybe thin-skinned, but it's fat, angry, stupid, and its vitals are better protected than a human's. Head shots or shots that break the shoulder/spine. A heart or lung shot hog could still fuck you up in a hurry.

Think about this one for a bit: Michigan Deputies Put Down 600-pound feral hog with 6" tusks

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 11.25.52 PM.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  64.0 KB
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-28-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

(Some folks here will get this)
    LARRY HARLEY BATTLE BOWIE, made for pig sticking. Mr. Harley told me " put the point where you want to thrust and push in hard." he was of the opinion that you were less likely to miss and hurt yourself that way. He was a good guy to talk to.

I also think HK USP / .45 Super would help.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I....... It maybe thin-skinned, but it's fat, angry, stupid, and its vitals are better protected than a human's.................
    You just described my former mother-in-law.

User Tag List