Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Feral hog defense

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    34 Texans were killed by dogs from 2004 to 2013... Maybe we need a dog defense thread too.
    I think we haven't done it recently because it would give P-F a collective case of the sads.

If it works on bobcats, it should probably work on problem canines.

I think this has come up in the LE section a few times.

If I hear about feral hog attacks in my neck of the woods, I will start toting my Trooper with some 158 grain/180 grain JHPs, or maybe my 625 with .45 Super ammo.

I would probably get a shotgun rack for my riding lawnmower, too. 😀
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    34 Texans were killed by dogs from 2004 to 2013... Maybe we need a dog defense thread too.
    I’ve had many bad encounters with feral dogs, including in packs. Killing a feral dog with a Maglight and slicing another with a shovel caused me to lose zero sleep. Unfortunately none of my fights against dogs were in places where I could use guns.

I would welcome a thread on dealing with dangerous canines.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

With their thick skull and shoulder shield, I would feel a bit under-gunned with a 9mm on a mature hog. I would think that would be more of long-gun territory. If it comes down to using a sidearm, I would think it needs to be a big one.

My opinion is not experience-based, just going off of what I have learned about feral hog anatomy.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    a small feral boar is 150 pounds.
    Maybe in Chicago, but down here most hogs are probably 75-150 pounds. I've only killed two that were over 200.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

In Texas feral pigs often a generic term that include javelina/peccary, escaped domesticated livestock animals, Eurasian pigs/hogs/boars, and crossbreeds between the latter two.

In my limited experience javelina and true feral pigs are not aggressive towards people. Somewhere in the 10,000 year domestication Eurasian hogs to bacon on legs, someone figured out that it was a bad idea to let the piggies with human aggressive traits reproduce. The Eurasian hogs are another story, haven't seen one in a while but they would go out of their way to kill dogs. According to TPWD they are almost extinct due to cross breeding.

I wonder if there was a dog involved, the only cases of non-hunters being attacked by wild pigs that I'm personally familiar with have been people trying to stop attacks on their dogs.

Personally I'll stick with 9mm. I've never had a pig charge me, but I don't think shooting at a 150lb pig missile is a high probability target and would opt for capacity.
    Last edited by txdpd; 11-28-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Here are a couple pictures of pictures I saved a while back off of a traditional bow hunting forum that show the anatomy of pigs. Their hearts are farther toward and lower and the lungs don’t extend as far back as deer and other ungulates; this makes targeting a bit different than folks who shoot deer are accustomed to.

Name:  2CB32E84-FC16-4510-841E-A1D9345A33E5.jpeg
Views: 453
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  FFF53997-8D17-4F29-9FB6-9496CDC357F5.jpeg
Views: 462
Size:  73.1 KB

The orange spot in the top photo and pink spot in the lower are aiming points with the most forgiveness.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 11-28-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    With their thick skull and shoulder shield, I would feel a bit under-gunned with a 9mm on a mature hog. I would think that would be more of long-gun territory. If it comes down to using a sidearm, I would think it needs to be a big one.

My opinion is not experience-based, just going off of what I have learned about feral hog anatomy.
    This story would seem to be in agreement with your impression.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Sounds like a good excuse to get a 1911 in .38 Super to me.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    This story would seem to be in agreement with your impression.
    That was a good read.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    That was a good read.

Thank you.
    He's got a couple of books out:

The Lawdog Files

African Adventures

Both are good- the Ratel saga especially so.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List