Yes, whatever we were talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That looks like a Javelina, is it not?
    Russian Boar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'd rather come around the corner of a trail and find hogs than this:

Attachment 45343

Absolutely agree with this post.
    I know one man who was killed by a bull, another who almost was. Those wild range cows that haven't seen a human for a long time can be a obnoxious.
    I'm currently over run with javelina, they can cut up dogs but pay little mind to humans.

I got butted and trampled by a cow when I was backpacking. Fortunately most of the impacts were to my pack.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I hunt a private ranch in central Florida that’s 27,000 acres of cattle. There are two groups of people , 3 each , who hunt hogs yearly. We pulled just shy of 1,000 hogs off of the ranch for the last three years straight . We run two female black mouth cur dogs as bay dogs and two cur/pit mixes as RCD ( running catch dogs). We use custom made knives to kill them,after the dogs anchor them by the ears or jaws. Male boar hogs are angry animals and will charge in the confined spaces of the palmetto bushes. I carry a Glock 19 with Winchester 147gr bonded ranger. I have shit hogs with everything from 12ga buck and slug, 5.56 70gr tsx, 308 bonded bear claw, 30-30, 17hmr, 40, 45 and 9mm. I’m fully comfortable carrying my edc Glock as my sidearm in hog country. The females normally scatter even if they have shoats (piglets). The males will stand there ground and fight. There also very cannibalistic , they will eat wounded and/ or dead pigs that are left to lie.

We run across crossbred pigs all the time , mottled in color , they have bread with domesticated pigs. I think it all depends on the circumstances, but most of the hogs are more aggressive than most people think or believe.

Site Supporter
    My experience with hogs is pretty limited, but I had the opportunity a few years ago to do some wild pig hunting near the Central California coast with some buddies. Rifles used included a .308 Saiga, a 16" AR in 5.56 (mine, loaded with 62gr TSXs), a Shuff's Mini G Tanker Garand, and some flavor of bolt gun in .257 Roberts (we're an odd bunch). Pistols were mostly service size 9mms loaded with Hornady Critical Duty 135 +P, along with a S&W 6" 686 with generic soft points.

The rifles all performed fine as long as shots were well-placed. We shot several hogs with the handguns, and used the pistols to put down a handful of mortally wounded animals. While Critical Duty likely wouldn't be my first choice these days, they performed pretty well out of a 19, 34, and 92FS. I'd feel fairly confident in hog country with a 9mm that I shot well, loaded with a deep-penetrating bullet (especially with 15+ rounds on tap).
    Last edited by Seven_Sicks_Two; 12-02-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    That is one badass six-shooter. Thanks for the pix. Makes me want to go and re-read some Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton writings. I love that stuff.

Did you shoot the hog with a jacketed or hard-cast bullet? What weight?

As far as the mosquitos, I generally get exsanguinated while my wife doesn't get touched.

Sorry I missed this the first go-round.

I hit him with a 240 hard cast SWC and 10 grains Unique. Right where they say not to, on the tough shoulder. Went right on through and dropped it.

The close up revolver pic where the snow is wiped away below it, is actually showing where the bullet entered. The little grey circle on his shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    LARRY HARLEY BATTLE BOWIE, made for pig sticking. Mr. Harley told me " put the point where you want to thrust and push in hard." he was of the opinion that you were less likely to miss and hurt yourself that way. He was a good guy to talk to.
    I wish I would have bought one when I had the chance.

Agreed, great guy to talk to.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I thought of this thread and especially @Lost River when I saw this on the youtubes

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    LARRY HARLEY BATTLE BOWIE, made for pig sticking. Mr. Harley told me " put the point where you want to thrust and push in hard." he was of the opinion that you were less likely to miss and hurt yourself that way. He was a good guy to talk to.
    Missed this last pass through; you are an educated individual. I am happy that someone got the subtlety.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List