Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Feral hog defense

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've been planning to pick up a few Barrett mags for the 6.8.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Hogs still don't have a candle of large domestic livestock

Depending on which report you read, the CDC says:

Cattle kill an average of 20 to 22 people a year.

They lump horses, cows and "other mammals" together but the best I could gather from reading multiple articles was averages ranging from 22 to 28 annually for damn horses.

Dogs kill more than horses or cattle, Ranging between 30 and 50, with fatal attacks increasing. My guess would be thanks to hood rats and their affinity for Pitt Bulls and similar breeds.

All that said, there is no reason one should not have a dedicated Perfect Packin' Pig Pistol, if one truly feels the need!

A Glock .45/10MM would be a pretty solid choice I would think.

IDK, I only have limited pig experience.

Went hogdogging in Toomsboro, GA a few years back. Catahoula hounds for tracking, a pit bull wearing Kevlar for a catch dog, and me armed with a Glock brand knife... though I admit a brought a pistol for a backup, LCR 357 with hard cast heavyweights.

Those dogs, especially that uparmored crazy pit bull, were all the backup anyone would ever need in that particular situation.

Site Supporter
    New thread topic in the "what gun for..." theme?

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    uparmored crazy pit bull
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Hogs still don't have a candle of large domestic livestock

Depending on which report you read, the CDC says:

Cattle kill an average of 20 to 22 people a year.
    I'd rather come around the corner of a trail and find hogs than this:

Name:  FL cattle.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  90.2 KB
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

@Lost River
    For the sake of all of those risking their lives in the pig woods, you probably had better share the details on that 3 screw.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 11-29-2019 at 08:28 AM.

That is a 60ish year old (late 1950s production ) 7.5" .44Magnum, which there were only 1,000 produced, making it one of the most uncommon and more desirable for collectors. I found it in a sort of local gunshop that was run by a former state trooper, and nice guy. It had some finish wear so I was not worried about wearing it into the field, and using it as it was built to be used.

I figured someone else can worry about diminished collector value after a get a few decades of fun out of it. When I retire I will whittle down my collection dramatically but until then, I will use the things I enjoy and not worry about it.

Shown here with a Milt Sparks 200AW high in the Lost River Range on an elk hunt last December:

And a cattle chute in northern Nevada in November 18:

GJM says I am stuck in the past with Elmer Keith, and while there may be an element of truth, since I enjoy the .44 Magnum and Elmer's writings, I find myself switching between my Glock 21 .45, my N Frame .44s and guns like this just too much fun not to do it!

In order to avoid a close encounter of the hog kind: Make noise. Don't get between mother and children. When it's dark and windy, avoid walking against the wind or use a flashlight.

Why I know: I live in Germany and often hike in a forest. Only once I came very close to wild boars. It's only a few weeks ago, was a very windy day and already dark, had no flashlight with me. The wind made noise, I walked against the wind. I noticed that wild boars were close, I could hear them. I turned around but would have had to walk a long detour in order to avoid them. So I walked the original way. Suddenly I could hear a wild boar only a few meters to the left. Could not see it but I could hear that it was shocked because a human came so close. And it sounded pretty big. I walked on, nothing else happened.

They could not smell, see and hear me. Otherwise we would not have met. Next time, I would walk the long detour.

If I were allowed to, I would carry a strong firearm in the forest. But I think, wild boars are no big danger here in Germany if you leave them alone. If they can get away, they'll do (in 99,9999% of the cases). I'm not sure about feral hogs in the US. But the recent feral hog attack in your country was of an extremely rare kind, wasn't it?
    Last edited by P30; 11-29-2019 at 11:44 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    GJM says I am stuck in the past with Elmer Keith, and while there may be an element of truth, since I enjoy the .44 Magnum and Elmer's writings, I find myself switching between my Glock 21 .45, my N Frame .44s and guns like this just too much fun not to do it!

Is that a Trooper on the six inch?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    If I were allowed to, I would carry a strong firearm in the forest. But I think, wild boars are no big danger here in Germany if you leave them alone. If they can get away, they'll do (in 99,9999% of the cases). I'm not sure about feral hogs in the US. But the recent feral hog attack in your country was of an extremely rare kind, wasn't it?
    Yes, very rare, and I imagine more of a terrible accident. The only time I’ve been actively trailed and hunted by animals (I don’t live in bear or big cat country) it was feral or semi feral dogs, and that has happened twice. Although one of those incidents was a pack of whippets which was more surreal/funny than scary

User Tag List