Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I need plastic wonder pistol shopping advice

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    It’s all the same shit. The variable is you. Pick one and practice

If details are needed to assist in refining

Glock has most industry support and most importantly, a gadget to assist with not killing yourself.
    Sig 320C. Awesome, might shoot yourself in femoral artery, no gadget, bulkier that most.
    Beretta APX, comes back on target stupid fast, a little wide, crappy industry support, cheap, no gadget, check out Caleb Ginnings YouTube to get motivated.
    H&K VP9, awesome, great to go out the box, no gadget. Super models prefer guys that shoot VP9.
    Walther PPQ, snappy, great for guys that can’t figure out how to use a Trigger but are embarrassed to be shooting a 1911.
    Beretta PX4C, flat shooting, femoral arteries love them, shorter sight radius, awesome if you want DA, easy to conceal, non femoral suicide gun
    CZ P10C, CZ P-07, no experience, cannot comment.
    Sig P365, shoots great, carries phenomenally, not going to get amazing splits, no gadget.
    Outstanding post:

Glock
    VP9
    PX4 if you like DA/SA with little muzzle flip.
    P30 if you like DA/SA that is crazy reliable.

I have shot them all and owned most of them, and the VP9 seems to work with you more than the other guns. But any will work.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Also a really cool gun that shoots extremely well with little muzzle rise.

Site Supporter
    There are lots of good plastic people poppers. In order of preference-

Any Gen 5 Glock, particularly if you want an RDS. The Gen5 MOS models are the best Glocks yet in terms of accuracy, reliability and trigger pull.

Prior generation Glocks.

HK VP9

HK P30 - reliable, accurate, problem is trigger options are LEM or craptastic DS/SA.

Beretta APX

FN 509 though it will likely need an apex trigger. I was not a fan of earlier FN pistols but they got it right with this one.

SIG 320 - contrary to rumors , the new / current versions are drop safe, but SIG is cranking these out by the bushel and inconsistency i.e. Monday guns / Wednesday guns are a thing. The modularity is attractive.

S&W M&P 2.0 - May still need an apex trigger as opposed to the 1.0 and SD9 which definitely need Apex Triggers. If you want better then service pistol accuracy an APEX barrel may be necessary.

Px4 if you are willing to swap sights, add an LTT Trigger Job In a Bag and eithe stipple or add taking grips. In stock form it’s shit but the diamond in the rough can polish out into a nice shooting gun.

The P10 is very promising. Those claiming the grip is too rough need to harden the fuck up.

Sleeper recommendation:

SIG SP2020 - reliable accurate polymer frame DA/SA with a decent trigger out of the box. Uses all SIG P series sights, and QC is consistently good like in the good old days of SIG. SOME find the ergos a little off but a mild undercut at the junction of the trigger guard and frame makes it and awesome handling gun.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-27-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    However, as noted, "Glock 19" is the correct answer to your question. I have duplicate Gen 5's, and I'm very pleased with mine. I think the Gen5 pistols are absolutely the best pistols Glock has produced.
    truer words were never written, get a Gen 5 G19 and then start buying mags and ammo, find the best quality holster that works for you, but start at JMCK, I wish I could go back 25 years and reveal all that absolute truth to the younger me...yes, add gadgets and a spare gun to the list...

after you have created that bedrock to fall back on when/if other things disappoint or fail, then you can experiment with other stuff, other platforms, but own and master the most fool proof essential tool first...
    Last edited by fatdog; 11-28-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Muzzle flip shouldn't be a major factor in choosing a gun. Your grip, wrist, and arm will play a much bigger role in how the gun returns after it fires.

Of the guns you listed the Shadow2 is by far the best for pure shooting. My three S2s are the best handguns I have ever owned, including some fancy 1911s. But you're not going to carry an S2.

I like using similar guns for competition, training, and carry, so I carry a P-07 and am very satisfied. My P-07s have been highly reliable, accurate, and function well when dirty. It's a simple design that is easy to detail strip. There are excellent aftermarket parts from CGW. They are the Glock of TDA guns.

The Walther Q5 doesn't fit my hands, and has an annoying, wide, square trigger guard that digs into my finger when I fire the gun. I find the PPQs grip a little too round and ambiguous. But people like them both, and they seem well built.

The P10s are outstanding, and are my favorite striker gun in terms of shootability.

But--when the question is what polymer striker gun to buy, the answer is probably a Glock.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

HK USPs as well.

Site Supporter
    Substitute for CZ and S&W as needed.

Name:  D9E61F3F-AEE9-41C8-A9B2-B08650504E1E.jpeg
Views: 711
Size:  28.1 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 11-28-2019 at 02:09 AM.

I am laughing a bit at the posts, that says things along the lines of "choose one and practice with it", since in the initial post, the OP mentions buying two plastic pistols.

I agree the PX4 works great and has a similar manual of arms to his 92. All of mine have been less then $450 before upgrades. You can get a wonderful trigger, with a polish on the factory parts, easily throw in a CTG and different spring for play if you don't have the stuff to polish your own trigger, or for more, buy a TJIAB. Not sure why you would upgrade the sights if it is only going to be a range toy. If this is a full out thing, everything now, and no idea of your budget, then you would be money ahead to just buy the Compact carry one, rather then buying all the parts.

The CZ P07 is very similar to the PX4. I prefer the latter's controls and slightly easier (more exposed) slide. My CZ's are all metal.

I considered, but haven't bought the Walther P99 AS. Handled a couple HK's, but realized I would have an issue with learning a different magazine release. (preference is training/fun guns with similar controls to my carry)

For the second gun, if you have no issue, I would look at a striker fired. The Walther above, to me is some where in between, because it is striker fired, but acts as a DA/SA.

I like the feel of the M&P's and my .22 is one because of price and it was to train a relative who was getting a striker fired gun. Inexpensive range toy.
    I still want a Glock 20, because it was the first gun I ever fired. Glock, so ubiquitous, it would certainly be in the list.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The P10 is very promising. Those claiming the grip is too rough need to harden the fuck up
    Actually it's not rough enough. The sides are slicker than wet snot on glass. The front and back are rough but the nubs are angled the wrong way if you look at how a pistol slides in your hands.

I stippled the entire grip all the way around and all the way up to the slide releases on day 2.

The only two plastic pistols that might not need stippling are the RTF Glocks and the M&P 2.0.

It's hard to recommend a gun that you don't really have a use for other than 'Range Blaster'.

What is range blasting? Mag dumps into the berm/trash burn pit?

If you just got an LTT, why not get a second LTT to be your Range Blaster? That way you'll at least be familiar with your other gun. And you can range blast with a nice gun. And after you spend a few thousand dollars you'll have a set of pistols that will serve a purpose and not just be a black eye on your credit card statement.

Plastic guns are plastic guns. Get one that has readily available holsters, spare parts, and is super easy to detail strip with a small punch, or a nail, or even an ink straw from a Bic pen. Because if they can't do all that, then what's the point?

The new wears off and gun is just a tool after a few mags, and if you're not working on maintaining or increasing proficiency of some sort, then Range Blasting makes about as much sense (and will be about as much fun) as just hitting shit with a hammer because it's a really cool hammer.

User Tag List