Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I need plastic wonder pistol shopping advice

Site Supporter
    With the Walthers you don't have to fool with aftermarket upgrades like a trigger. Accurate. Choice of paddle or button release. Great ergonomics. With proper grip and stance, muzzle flip is a non-issue.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    HK VP9 or VP9SK.
    This.

If I was buying a couple plastic pistols for sheer shooting enjoyment, I'd get an HK, any HK, but those two ^^^ would be top of my list.

To me they lead the pack in reliability, accuracy, comfort, ergonomics, durability and harmonious design. Mags ain't cheap, and they can be fiendishly complex, but then again you never have to do much other than clean them.

I miss my VP9 sometimes.

I am surprised that the Archon Type B has not been mention. Great all around gun. Low bore axis. Really small muzzle rise. Shoots flat. Can be a range toy, blaster, and conceal carry.

It is really awesome. Yes, there was an initial problem with striker spring. Has been resolved and they are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want industry support and the ability to tinker? Glock 34 and 19. A 34 with a few tweaks and upgrades is like the easy button.

You want *different* ergos? M&P 5" and a 4" compact. One nice thing here is the slides and frames interchange, so you can put the long slide on the compact grip and vice versa. Modularity is nice. The M&P's are heavier than the glock and the cz P10's, but I think the 5" M&P is the softest shooting of all of them. Add an apex trigger and its a very shootable little gun.

P10's: Same frame/slide interchangeability as the M&P's. The optics plates have been problematic to find, but are currently available directly from CZ-USA and not for a lot of money. The trigger's are good out of the box -- the first gen trigger slap/pinch has been largely addressed by some minor changes to the trigger bow. Same with the mag release; no longer overly stiff. I did not at all care for the factory texture: I found it simultaneously uncomfortable and lacking in the the friction I wanted. The pyramids in the polymer were too large, so they felt sharp and pokey but still allowed the gun to move on me. Plus it still had the problem of zero texture in the area under the slide release, where the support hand squishes in. I stippled both my P10's with an OTDefense 20lpi tip and the improvement is profound. For what its worth, the CZ Polymer takes stippling very well. Its somewhat harder than glock plastic, but not as hard and brittle feeling as P320 frames. I've been running a P10F Optics ready with a holosun on it, and just recently added a Compact Optics ready so I have flexibility and options. The full size slide on the compact grip frame is a handy and very shootable pistol. Even with having the buy the optic plates seperately, the CZ's are probably the most cost efficient also: My recently acquired compact optics ready was under $400 used, locally, and appeared to have been shot once.

The PPQ's I found snappy and slick-gripped and the 5" guns on a compact size grip only, never made sense to me. They never released a true full size PPQ IMO.

VP9's are fine pistols; the ergo's didn't agree with me. I found the grips too round and curvey, and as a result, difficult to get a repeatable, consistent grip. YMMV on that one, obviously

PX4's are great once they've been Langdon-ized and are probably the best DA/SA option, followed by the P07/P09, which, even once cajunized, will not feel quite as slick as an LTT Px4.

Okay I’m going to order a Glock 17, 19, and 34. My duty pistol is a gen 4 17 with a horrendous trigger, but I shoot it quite well. At least I can swap triggers on my guns. Now to track them down and order. Seems to be less upgrade goodies with the gen 5. I don’t need a perfect trigger just better than my duty. I have been going to the range once or twice a week for the past three years. Had a friend who’s a pistol instructor and competitor help me with my grip and shooting. He cured my Glock shoot left syndrome. Its not the trigger, it’s the grip. In fact faster I shoot I don’t even notice the trigger. My grip before sucked. He’s been impressed with my shooting lately so I must be doing okay. I own a lot of guns, but mainly long guns. So this year I decided since I'm enjoying pistol shooting so much it’s time to buy some pistols to catch up to the god knows how many rifles I own. I want to start competing soon as well.

Gen 5 Glock okay or should I go with gen 4 for better after market goodies? I do plan to add an RMR.
    Last edited by Obelisk; 11-28-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    Before Beretta dropped the price on the APX my instant answer to this question is the Smith M2.0. Still is, if you want my favorite.

But for $329-ish, the APX is genuinely a $500+ quality handgun languishing in the bargain basement.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk View Post
    Okay I’m going to order a Glock 17, 19, and 34. My duty pistol is a gen 4 17 with a horrendous trigger, but I shoot it quite well. At least I can swap triggers on my guns. Now to track them down and order. Seems to be less upgrade goodies with the gen 5. I don’t need a perfect trigger just better than my duty. I have been going to the range once or twice a week for the past three years. Had a friend who’s a pistol instructor and competitor help me with my grip and shooting. He cured my Glock shoot left syndrome. Its not the trigger, it’s the grip. In fact faster I shoot I don’t even notice the trigger. My grip before sucked. He’s been impressed with my shooting lately so I must be doing okay. I own a lot of guns, but mainly long guns. So this year I decided since I'm enjoying pistol shooting so much it’s time to buy some pistols to catch up to the god knows how many rifles I own. I want to start competing soon as well.

Gen 5 Glock okay or should I go with gen 4 for better after market goodies? I do plan to add an RMR.
    Gen 5 is the way to go. Nicer out of the box trigger - There are aftermarket triggers but most people don’t need them or just change the trigger shoe to a flat. The GEN five barrels are just as good as any drop in after market barrel in earlier generations. The newer GEN five models, particularly the G45 and the MLS models have an additional cut on the bridge face opposite the extractor which greatly aids extraction and ejection. When my self and others say the current GEN five guns are the best guns Glock has ever made it is not just in terms of trigger pull a mechanical accuracy, the whole cycle of operation is more robust and reliable.

As for your work gun, I don’t know What restrictions are placed on you but it might be worth buying a complete set of factory guts and swapping them out. Good or bad Glock trigger pulls tend to be a matter of tolerance stacking or simply getting a part that wasn’t properly polished prep or plated. Glock supposedly makes upwards of 60,000 guns a month so even with 99.9% quality control every once in a while a rough part may slip through.

Remember this is not just the trigger itself and connector but the striker and the firing pin safety plunger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Before Beretta dropped the price on the APX my instant answer to this question is the Smith M2.0. Still is, if you want my favorite.

But for $329-ish, the APX is genuinely a $500+ quality handgun languishing in the bargain basement.
    The APX is honestly the ugliest of all the striker fired plastic guns. I wasn’t really interested in till I got to shoot one.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The APX is honestly the ugliest of all the striker fired plastic guns. I wasn’t really interested in till I got to shoot one.
    Absolute truth. It's ugly as shit. I also consider the big slide serrations a failure. But it do shoot. Reliably.

For $525 I woulda said the Gen5, even Gen4, or M2.0 without a second of hesitation.

For $329? It blows the competition in that price bracket away.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-28-2019 at 10:47 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Gen 5 is the way to go. Nicer out of the box trigger - There are aftermarket triggers but most people don’t need them or just change the trigger shoe to a flat. The GEN five barrels are just as good as any drop in after market barrel in earlier generations. The newer GEN five models, particularly the G45 and the MLS models have an additional cut on the bridge face opposite the extractor which greatly aids extraction and ejection. When my self and others say the current GEN five guns are the best guns Glock has ever made it is not just in terms of trigger pull a mechanical accuracy, the whole cycle of operation is more robust and reliable.

As for your work gun, I don’t know What restrictions are placed on you but it might be worth buying a complete set of factory guts and swapping them out. Good or bad Glock trigger pulls tend to be a matter of tolerance stacking or simply getting a part that wasn’t properly polished prep or plated. Glock supposedly makes upwards of 60,000 guns a month so even with 99.9% quality control every once in a while a rough part may slip through.

Remember this is not just the trigger itself and connector but the striker and the firing pin safety plunger.
    My quartermasters are worthless. Any changes are a no go. I had to beg to get the back straps. Yeah they issue the guns with no back straps. My gen 2 21’s trigger is way better. My last issued gen 3 was perfect, I shot that thing well. Once I get confident I’ll pull my gen 4 apart and look at the trigger. Everything is fine but the wall feels like snapping a tree branch. I think it needs a new safety firing pin plunger. The finish is a bit worn off of it. Might be adding friction. I add grease to it, but LOL it’s still bad.

User Tag List