Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about mental disorders

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    You're right that Tics and stereotypic movement are common to a range of psych disorders (as is tardive dyskinesia for the... well medicated) . Doesn't sound like OP has much knowledge of the underlying disease process(es) in this population, though.

Crazy people be crazy.
    Neph,

I really don't either.

I just recognized enough to say "aha, ok, and then like building blocks, go to the next question to confirm or deny. I was pretty good at staying in my lane when it came to things like that. You don't have to be smart to follow the medical work that someone else has already done.

Similar to what a Designated Examiner did, I would memorize their involuntary commitment list (among other things, like reading and referring to the DSM-5 regularly for answer to questions), and when I would be assisting a patrolman, or whomever, would just roll through the list.

It also made the later interaction with DEs very easy, as when they would ask me their questions, I had done 80% of their work for them. They actually really liked that,as it sped up the process for holds.

I had a rudimentary understanding of how the synapses were not firing right, and I would explain it when teaching in terms to first responders like electrical wiring (discussing meth), where the insulation had been stripped away, and now the wires were "crossed"touching each others sending electrical signals to parts of the brain that were never intended, causing all sorts of issues. It was also the reason that once you do drugs like meth, your brain never actually recovers. You may look fine of the outside, but your brain is permanently messed up.

That was my young Patrolman 101 version, and it seemed to be effective in conveying the concept.

Like I said, not the brightest bulb, but I can pick up a book.

Not something I'd use to diagnose anything. Not that i would.

My MIL is super anxious and cannot sit still or not fidget but i would think she has a mental illness. I dont consider anxiety a mental illness.

Most people touch their face 10s of thousands a time per day.

IDK about body language, but with females, I’d look for scars on the arms & legs (they’ll probably try to cover them.) Small cuts (although I’ve seen them 3-4” long and deep enough to need stitches) are a sign of self-injury.

More scars = higher probability, especially if they look similar.

It’s called Non-Suicidal Self Injury (NSSI) and is thought to be a coping mechanism in several mental illnesses.

NSSI is surprisingly common in girls and young women. But even a woman who’s grown out of it will bear the scars.

There’s other methods of self-injury, like burning, but cutting is the most common.

APA makes no gender distinction, but it almost exclusively occurs in females. When men engage in deliberate self-injury, they mean business (suicide.)

I’m no doctor (and don’t play one on TV). But I’ve seen it up close and read quite a bit.

Site Supporter
    When I was a health inspector, there was a cafe owner who immediately started scratching his nuts as soon as I walked into his business and continued to do so while I was there. I thought he was crazy. When finally I criticized the man for this, he scratched faster. Then I knew he was looney.

User Tag List