Thread: Corbon .223 Rem 77gr. MPR for Home Defense?

Corbon .223 Rem 77gr. MPR for Home Defense?

I own a Colt AR-15 -model 6920 with a 1 -7 twist ! For home defense I am considering using Corbon's .223 Rem 77gr..MPR-- the only information I have on this round is the following-

Caliber: 223 Rem
    Bullet Wt.: 77gr MPR™
    Velocity: 2800fps
    Energy: 1341ftlbs
    Test Barrel Length: 16.0 Inches
    20 rounds per box

I have practiced many times with this rifle at our local range but 1 week ago our local police could not catch an armed person fleeing from our town. This is in no way against our local police but at the same time brings my color code of caution up a notch!
    Anyone have any info or heard things about this ammo?
    Thank-you for your time and have a good Thanksgiven!
    Semper Fi Till The Day I Die!
    Last edited by veteran-USMC; 11-27-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    USMC...helping enemies of America die for their countries since....1775 !

Don't know much about that particular loading aside from a gel test I've seen on Youtube, but the projectile is a Sierra TMK, which is known to be an excellent performer in soft tissue when there are no intermediate barriers.

Two concerns I would have using that load for home defense:

1 - Note that I mentioned the TMK does really well when there are no barriers. Yes, it's arguably true that this isn't as important for HD as for LE officers who are doing a lot of work around vehicles, but that aggressive felon threatening you in your home won't necessarily square up right in front of you for an unobstructed shot. Think about the potential need to make a shot through furniture, the edge of a doorway, etc.

2 - If I did decide to use a TMK load for HD, I wouldn't choose CorBon. Not that I have any first-hand negative experiences with them, but it's a good idea to go with manufacturers who have the knowledge, experience, and QC required to fill large LE/mil contracts. Think Federal/Speer, Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Black Hills. The Black Hills 77 TMK loading is well-regarded, and at about a dollar a round is likely cheaper than the CorBon you're looking at.

Have you read DocGKR's pinned post 5.56mm Duty Loads? If not, definitely take a look at that for some very valuable info and recommended choices.
    Last edited by DiscipulusArmorum; 11-27-2019 at 11:30 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    SMKs are not recommended for hunting due to unpredictable terminal ballistics. They may pencil through, they may yaw quickly and expand explosively without penetrating (especially if they hit bone), they may do just what you want. But you won't know until after it happens and the story is written.

Far better to use a bullet engineered to have predictable terminal effects. Something bonded would be good; even an unbonded, conventional cup-and-core bullet engineered for expansion would be better than something where terminal performance wasn't even on the list of things to be evaluated when it was designed. Make sure you don't pick a varmint bullet, as they are intended to be effective on smaller creatures, not 150-300 lb mammals. Anything bonded or otherwise recommended for deer in the 62-75 grain range is likely a decent choice if it shoots accurately and functions reliably in your gun. There may be some issues with exposed lead soft points and the feed ramps in ARs.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I am in no way an expert but the AR is my home defense go to.

I got two mag linked mags with 55 grain for an inside problem.

I got two mag linked mags with 70 grain Barnes TSX hunting/barrier for an outside problem that might involve vehicles or a large mammal like a Bear or Cougar.

I like Asym Ammo for some reason.

As others have stated, is not shooting through a wall something you need to consider? As in neighbors, kids in another room etc?

The black hills 77otm is probably the best brand name bullet you'll find that does the best against living tissue. It's really hard to beat without getting into the weeds of the special contract ammo for the tier one community.

Their open too or black top rounds are really nice.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Here's about all you need on 5.56/.223 ammo selection:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-mm-Duty-Loads
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List