Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First 1911

Site Supporter
    My favorite looking 1911's with a little work are Colts.

Out of the box, there is just something I like about the Springfield look.

I'd also, just for the s&g, go ahead and detail strip it, and put it back together again.

Get a good idea of what's where, and admire the genius of design that is JMB.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I picked up a vanilla RO not long ago, though it's far from my first 1911. My thoughts:

1. On the front strap, I used Talon rubber stick-on grip material, and it feels MUCH better - and definitely cheaper than having it checkered and reparkerized!
    2. If you decide to change the sights, you need to know that Springfield does NOT use a standard "Novak" cut - their sights are "Novak style," but have different dovetails. Make sure any sight replacements are designed for Springfield cuts
    3. Are you a southpaw? If not, I'd think hard about the ambi safety. I've had quite a few over the years and have "bumped off" more than I'd care to think about - that outboard paddle can be surprisingly touchy. If you go ambi, make sure you get a quality unit and the action is stiff.
    4. +1,000 on all the lube discussions. Keep it wetter than you would a Glock - the tolerances are MUCH tighter, and there's a lot more steel-on-steel moving parts
    5. Good magazines are key to good working 1911s. I haven't had any issues with the 7-rounders Springfield sent with the pistol, but I wouldn't dream of using them for anything but range mags. Wilson makes great mags, as does Chip McCormick (my personal favorite, but mostly out of brand loyalty at this point).
    6. Good call on the grip screws. Torx don't suck if you've got a Torx driver handy in your range bag, but, if you're like 99% of us, flat head are a safer bet.

Enjoy your new pistol. I know that I couldn't stop grinning when I got my hands on my RO - something about holding the pistol I learned to shoot on really brought back some of the "joy of shooting."

Site Supporter
    Remember that 3 things work better wet. 1911's AR-15's and I'll leave the 3rd one to your imagination.....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Remember that 3 things work better wet. 1911's AR-15's and I'll leave the 3rd one to your imagination.....
    Swimming pools! It’s swimming pools isn’t it? I bet it’s swimming pools...

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    It's pretty easy to tell whether your gun has the ILS or not. If the gun has the ILS there will be an extra round recessed disk on the left side of the main spring housing when you are looking at the rear of the gun. If you just have the retaining pin and no extra holes then you don't have the ILS.

If your gun does have the ILS it's not that big a deal, but if it were my gun I would probably replace it. If you do, make sure you get a regular main spring housing AND the regular internals to go with it. The internals can be purchased as a kit if desired.
    The MSH seems to just have the retaining pin. So it seems I’ve lucked out.

Site Supporter
    I'm also in free fall in 1911 world as a newb.

I learned that all 3 of my new Springer's shoot with a much lower hold than I'm used to coming from Glocks and Berettas.

I learned immediately how to tension an extractor.

The internet is full of absolute crap about 1911 reliability. Tune extractor (easy) buy good mags (easier) and keep it lubed (no brains) and it runs as well as anything.

I also choked down the pain of getting Wilson mags ...buy once cry once thing.

My next step is to learn how to tune trigger weight with sear spring.
    Last edited by fixer; 11-28-2019 at 09:33 AM.

2008 MCOP 13K + down the tube and twice that in dry manipulations.....still going strong. Peppered to taste when SACS was kicking. A few parts were replaced due to high useage. Its returning to duty use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28GLa9T2CtI

Seriously thinking about a match barrel but it still shoots well and my tightness overrides my thoughts.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 11-28-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I learned that all 3 of my new Springer's shoot with a much lower hold than I'm used to coming from Glocks and Berettas.

The internet is full of absolute crap about 1911 reliability. Tune extractor (easy) buy good mags (easier) and keep it lubed (no brains) and it runs as well as anything.
    Springfield tends to ship with weird POA setups, but not always. But I'm usually swapping sights anyways.

Your positive experience is because you've bought 1911s that are well made. There are tons of badly made 1911s out there. Tons.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    The torx grip screws seem like a dumb idea, so I’ll be swapping those out with flat head screws, but since I’m doing that I might as well throw some decent G10 grips on it. Preferably something with a texture that’s somewhat grippy, but also comfortable enough for carry as I’d like to try my hand at that for giggles down the road. I’ll probably get the grips from LOK. I like VZ grips, don’t get me wrong (love the LTT grips and J-frame grips I have on my guns now), but I like to support Michigan companies when I can. So suggestions there would be appreciated.
    I hated the torx screws until I didn't. With non-traditional grip materials like the VZ olive/black micartas - I prefer micarta to G10 - on my 9mm ROO, they at least make some sense to me. This was the first 1911 I had ever purchased new, bought because I got a smokin' deal on it at a time in my life when I needed to buy something a little frivolous but not go nuts.

Except for some initial FRBs which were the result of a very tight chamber along with some burrs on the slide, disconnector and sear/disco spring, it really performs above what I paid for it, and the Simply Rugged "Shootist" holster didn't break the bank either. I consider them good intro 1911s/everyday shooters, and I probably enjoy shooting this pistol at the range more than any centerfire pistol I have used in the last 30 years. So far the Springfield/Leatham-style Metalform magazines have been as reliable as I could ask for.

gn
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List