Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: First 1911

Vending Machine Operator
    When I got my first 1911 (a Colt O1091) I made the choice not to cheap out and outfitted it with Wilson ETMs from the get-go. To date I still don't have a single failure out of that 1911 and we're at 1700 rounds give or take.

Wilson mags are worth the money. A few extra bucks and you just don't have to think about that variable anymore.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So, does anyone have any suggestions on leather holsters for IWB and OWB?
    Milt Sparks VM2 is the best IWB holster I've ever used.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Milt Sparks VM2 is the best IWB holster I've ever used.
    It’s real good and I have a number of them, but it does put the gun profoundly behind the hip at 4:00+. I always worry a little more about a gun back there printing.
    Ignore Alien Orders

If you have no ass like me, the VM2 is too far behind the hip. The original Summer Special (higher ride) works better at tucking the gun into the hollow of the body on the side. The SSII rides lower and if you hip falls away like mine, you end up with a lot of gun down low that isn’t well supported.

Red Nichol’s Avenger-style holster is superior to the original Bruce Nelson design, by laying flatter on the belt, being substantially lighter and having locking tabs that lock under the belt loop and keep the holster from turning without needing to tighten the belt into oblivion.

For me, 15-degree cant at 3-3:30 is pretty much ideal, whether IWB or OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you have no ass like me, the VM2 is too far behind the hip. The original Summer Special (higher ride) works better at tucking the gun into the hollow of the body on the side. The SSII rides lower and if you hip falls away like mine, you end up with a lot of gun down low that isn’t well supported.

Red Nichol’s Avenger-style holster is superior to the original Bruce Nelson design, by laying flatter on the belt, being substantially lighter and having locking tabs that lock under the belt loop and keep the holster from turning without needing to tighten the belt into oblivion.

For me, 15-degree cant at 3-3:30 is pretty much ideal, whether IWB or OWB.
    If I’m perfectly honest, I actually have not much ass to work with and find anything that rides too low or too behind the hip generally ends up practically falling off of me or pulls my pants down unless I cinch my belt down to the point of cutting off circulation. I typically carry a G19 at around 3-3:30 in a JMCK IWB3 if I’m carrying IWB. I’ve got too much of a spare tire to attempt comfortable and proper AIWB at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    If I’m perfectly honest, I actually have not much ass to work with and find anything that rides too low or too behind the hip generally ends up practically falling off of me or pulls my pants down unless I cinch my belt down to the point of cutting off circulation. I typically carry a G19 at around 3-3:30 in a JMCK IWB3 if I’m carrying IWB. I’ve got too much of a spare tire to attempt comfortable and proper AIWB at the moment.
    Yea, you’ll have to order one, but I would call Milt Sparks and get an original Summer Special for a railed 1911. I don’t remember if Sparks does horsehide in the SSI but if they do, it’ll be about as thin as kydex. Even still the rough out cowhide version is extremely well built and will keep the gun from walking about on the hip. I believe they can do the SSI in straight drop, 5-degree, or 15-degree cant.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Personally I find an all-steel 5" gun in a traditional SSII is prone to shifting cant and position. I find this especially true in kydex versions like the JMCK IWB3. The VM2 is much more stable. I also think the VM2 has an edge in concealment, as the loops aren't on the holster body.

But there's a reason why there are different holster designs.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Anyone have experience with ed Brown mags? Only reason I'm asking is because I have a few problematic welded 1911 mags that I'd like exchange. Ed Brown has a program where you can trade in mags for their own for $10 each. I figured I'd get then7 rounders to maximize reliability.

I primarily use the Wilson terms also.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Anyone have experience with ed Brown mags? Only reason I'm asking is because I have a few problematic welded 1911 mags that I'd like exchange. Ed Brown has a program where you can trade in mags for their own for $10 each. I figured I'd get then7 rounders to maximize reliability.

I primarily use the Wilson terms also.
    Ed Brown mags are made by CheckMate. If you like the features, they are well made, and the exchange program is a bargain.

I guess at this point I am just regurgitating what others have already said. I prefer 18.5# springs in my carry gun(s). I feel like the extra weight makes up for a sludgy, dry gun. At least when I have been in classes and haven't been up on cleaning the gun for several hundred (or thousands) of rounds, the extra weight compensates for the mank. That's important to me because I am not great at breaking down and oiling my carry gun regularly. So if it is a touch on the dry side, I don't typically worry about that.

I have used 16# springs in the past in my training guns and I feel like the slide cycles faster and seems to batter the frame a bit. I have no visual indication of that other than how my hands feel during and after shooting. I have just begun trying 17# springs and will be giving the Wilson shock buffers a try in training guns, but will not put them in a carry gun. I'll see how that goes.

Spare parts: recoil springs, a fitted firing pin stop is probably a good idea since that seems to get the biggest beating. I don't think anything of MIM or cast parts. If you take a strong liking to the 1911 in your first 2K rounds, it will multiply. AFAIAC a spare gun negates the need for spare parts. You just drop gun no.2 in the holster while no. 1 gets sorted. I had this occur when my CQB had to go back to the mothership for a brief visit.

Lube: See above. I like militec and have been using it for 10 years on all my guns. But that is me.

For the rest, take Jason Burton's recommendations. He knows a "thing or two" around 1911s. Enjoy!

User Tag List