Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First 1911

First 1911

I picked up a Springfield Armory Range Officer Operator 1911 in .45Auto over the weekend as my first 1911 as pictured below. It’s got just short of 100 rounds through it and so far I’m totally digging it. Didn’t get a chance to get more ammo through it as the wife and I were shooting other things as well. More to come though as I hope this thing keeps chugging along.

Name:  48D911F2-5513-4B89-ACDA-45E83A1A7DFA.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  76.2 KB

Being new to the platform and wanting to learn more I’m in the process of absorbing as much info as I can. My hopes with this thread is to garner additional info that a newbie to the platform should know and be cognizant of and how to maintain from here as well as any possible idiosyncrasies that may be unique to SA 1911s in general.

It’s got the fiber front and I’ve blacked out the rear sight, so that should be sufficient for now. Although I’ll probably want to eventually get it swapped out for a blacked out and serrated rear at some point. The front seems fine enough to keep, so I don’t see the point of swapping it out. The torx grip screws seem like a dumb idea, so I’ll be swapping those out with flat head screws, but since I’m doing that I might as well throw some decent G10 grips on it. Preferably something with a texture that’s somewhat grippy, but also comfortable enough for carry as I’d like to try my hand at that for giggles down the road. I’ll probably get the grips from LOK. I like VZ grips, don’t get me wrong (love the LTT grips and J-frame grips I have on my guns now), but I like to support Michigan companies when I can. So suggestions there would be appreciated.

Beyond that I’ll probably run at least a case or two of ammo through it before I change anything else more drastically, which should take me a while because it’s not a Glock and .45Auto ain’t super cheap. I do foresee some sort of magwell and ambi-safety in my future though, so suggestions there would be appreciated as well. For mags, I’ve got the two no-names that came with the gun and I picked up a Wilson 47. So far no issues, but we’ll see. I’ll probably pick up another 47, a couple Metalform 8 rounders, and a couple CMC 8 rounders to give myself something to work with for now and test.

Now, springs and maintenance intervals are probably what I’m most curious about right now. I have no idea what spring weights SA ships their guns with. It seems to shoot fine now so I’m inclined to leave well enough alone, but curious if maybe doing the recommended 18lb recoil spring and 23lb mainspring thing now is better or keep using what was supplied. Change recoil springs every 2,000 rounds? Any other springs at that time? What’s the next maintenance interval part?

Spare extractors. Any suggestions on which brand I should have on hand as a spare? Any other high wear parts I should have spares of for giggles?

Good first 1911. Beware, they multiply if you feed them after...anytime.

The ubiquity of 1911 info -- too much, really -- is a blessing of the Information Age. Suggest you seek out some of the dedicated 1911 sites for total immersion.

In the meantime, here's a fine start: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....r-1911-Running
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Congrats on the 1911. I think you got a good one for sure. The 1911 is an amazing weapon and can be a hobby for sure. I am not even close to being an expert on the 1911, but I will warn you that you are stepping into a world with lots of passionate people. It is easy to get overwhelmed with information on the 1911. Lots of opinions out there and lots of people "know" they are right. Just enjoy that 1911, get familiar with it and shoot it!

Here are a couple helpful videos to get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-wGvGVYtNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW1pJvi5yIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkVsa2H52KQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSQYZl7D_fI

I prefer a 16 lb. recoil spring in a 5" 1911.

Given that you are new to 1911's, I'll note that you shouldn't let the slide slam forward empty. It beats up the sear/hammer engagement and can cause the hammer to start falling to half-cock. When loaded, the stripping of the round from the magazine cushions this impact.

Rosco

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Good first 1911. Beware, they multiply if you feed them after...anytime.

The ubiquity of 1911 info -- too much, really -- is a blessing of the Information Age. Suggest you seek out some of the dedicated 1911 sites for total immersion.

In the meantime, here's a fine start: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....r-1911-Running
    Yeah, I just re-read through that thread again not long ago. It is quite the resource for info. It’s a good thing my wife seems to like my 1911 as, if they multiply, it’ll help that she likes them.

Quote Originally Posted by claymore504 View Post
    Congrats on the 1911. I think you got a good one for sure. The 1911 is an amazing weapon and can be a hobby for sure. I am not even close to being an expert on the 1911, but I will warn you that you are stepping into a world with lots of passionate people. It is easy to get overwhelmed with information on the 1911. Lots of opinions out there and lots of people "know" they are right. Just enjoy that 1911, get familiar with it and shoot it!

Here are a couple helpful videos to get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-wGvGVYtNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW1pJvi5yIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkVsa2H52KQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSQYZl7D_fI
    I’ll check those out, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    I prefer a 16 lb. recoil spring in a 5" 1911.

Given that you are new to 1911's, I'll note that you shouldn't let the slide slam forward empty. It beats up the sear/hammer engagement and can cause the hammer to start falling to half-cock. When loaded, the stripping of the round from the magazine cushions this impact.

Rosco
    Yup, I’m aware of that idiosyncrasy, but a good reminder.

I suggest changing the firing pin spring when you change the recoil spring. Wolff Gunsprings offers packages with both springs, making it very easy. On full-size (five-inch) guns, I tend to replace the recoil and firing pin springs at 5,000-round intervals.

As for spare parts, EGW and Wilson Combat are both good brands. I suggest keeping spare grip screws, spare extractors, spare firing pins, and the aforementioned springs. SA uses a non-standard 9mm-size firing pin to reduce primer flow, so be sure to purchase the correct firing pin. That being said, the best spare part kit is another 1911 as most of the parts require fitting and the second pistol tends to be cheaper than a good parts kit.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I suggest changing the firing pin spring when you change the recoil spring. Wolff Gunsprings offers packages with both springs, making it very easy. On full-size (five-inch) guns, I tend to replace the recoil and firing pin springs at 5,000-round intervals.

As for spare parts, EGW and Wilson Combat are both good brands. I suggest keeping spare grip screws, spare extractors, spare firing pins, and the aforementioned springs. SA uses a non-standard 9mm-size firing pin to reduce primer flow, so be sure to purchase the correct firing pin. That being said, the best spare part kit is another 1911 as most of the parts require fitting and the second pistol tends to be cheaper than a good parts kit.
    So I need a spare 9mm sized firing pin for my SA or I should replace mine with a properly sized .45Auto firing pin?

Any idea what spring rates SA typically ships in their guns from the factory?

I like a 16# recoil spring and 23# mainspring. Tracks the flattest for me across different ammo. On the Springfield's I like to delete the internal lock system.

If you can afford it and have someone local it's worth having a good gunsmith look it over. Small adjustments to fitment issues, if there are any, can make a big difference in reliability over the long haul. Most good gunsmiths offer a basic reliability check for a small fee. I've owned several Springfield's and they all needed small tuneups out of the box.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So I need a spare 9mm sized firing pin for my SA or I should replace mine with a properly sized .45Auto firing pin?

Any idea what spring rates SA typically ships in their guns from the factory?
    The hole in the breech face is too small to allow the .45 ACP pin to fit, so use the proper firing pin. It should be marketed for SA pistols. The stock recoil spring for a five-inch pistol is part number PI0030 and has a 16 lb rating.

Site Supporter
    Just a note: Springfield no longer equips their 1911s with the ILS. I think starting in 2018 they use a standard main spring housing and internals. I think they also pin their ejectors now instead of gluing them.

User Tag List