Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: First 1911

Alright, so a little over 150 rounds through the gun and so far it’s having 0 issues. I bought a couple of the Wilson ETM mags (not the ETM-HDs like Mr. Burton recommended because I had a brain fart during ordering) and those have had 0 issues. It passed the 10-8 Performance test with flying colors, so it would seem I need to do nothing with the extractor, which is awesome.

I’ve got roughly 5 mags total for it so far. I’ll probably buy an extra Wilson 47 so I have two mags of each kind that I currently have (OEM, Wilson 47, Wilson ETM). I bought 3 sets of Wolff recoil/firing pin spring combo packs, so I’m good there for a while. I picked up some Lucas Gun oil with the applicator as apparently this is better for metal framed guns and I kinda needed something with an applicator anyway. The stock sights seem to hit POA/POI at 25yds with 230gr Blazer Brass. I’ve got some 230gr Lawman incoming to start feeding it so we’ll confirm that when it comes in. I also got the 10-8 armorer tool thing so that should help with various tasks.

So at this point it sounds like all I need now is a spare firing pin stop to be fitted, a spare extractor to be tuned, and a spare slide lock lever. Is it all recommended that I have this thing shipped off to have those parts tuned or are they easy enough to fit/tune myself?

So far I’m totally digging it as I expected that I would and the wife seems to definitely not hate it as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So at this point it sounds like all I need now is a spare firing pin stop to be fitted, a spare extractor to be tuned, and a spare slide lock lever. Is it all recommended that I have this thing shipped off to have those parts tuned or are they easy enough to fit/tune myself?
    That's always the question with 1911s isn't it? I can fit things like thumb safeties, grip safeties, an extractor, a trigger, maybe sights... but there are still things I simply won't do myself. Starting up a relationship with a good 1911 smith is a good step to take IMO.

For extractors, my advice is to buy a couple WC Bullet Proof extractors as extras and learn to fit and tune them yourself. Everything else depends on your abilities and comfort level with doing it. Ideally someone who uses the 1911 in a serious capacity is also a 1911 armorer of sorts and can handle most repairs and parts replacements. I do what I can (and fortunately I don't have parts breakages much) but I'm certainly not where I would like to be as far as 1911 armorer skills. I keep trying to learn how to do things a bit more each year, so maybe someday.

User Tag List