Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First 1911

I'm a huge Springfield 1911 fan, and have more of these bad boys than my wife knows about...

If you haven't, read through Todd's blog post; http://pistol-training.com/archives/6936 It's a good documentation of his 1911 journey, and if you read it from start to finish it might save you a bit of time.

I've run my 1911's pretty hard, teaching and taking multiple high round count classes back to back during the season at The Site. I follow Tim Herron's social media sites, he puts out a lot of great information and inspiration, plus he seems to be an all around good guy.

I install VCD grips on my 1911's per Tom Givens recommendation, and I love those. In a perfect world I could get VCD grips for my 92's as well.

I replaced the sights only because my eyes don't work with regular night sights. I replaced the recoil spring with a 14# spring because it was time to replace the recoil spring. I run CMC 8 and 10 round powermags, if you purchase CMC mags give them a call. Some of their mags won't work in the TRP Operator while they will work in the Operator. The Wilson 47D mags function flawlessly but I've only got 6 of those as opposed to several mag cans full of CMC mags. I believe Tim Herron runs 47D's 8 round mags without issue but I could be wrong regarding what he is currently using. At the time I spoke with him he was running 47D.

Other than that, I haven't done anything to my SA's except clean and lube. I think the SA 1911's are the only pistol SA does right.

TL/DR; The 1911 rule of thumb for a 1911 that runs flawlessly as possible seems to be; clean & lubed pistol, quality mags, and leave it alone.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

As a fellow noob to 1911's, how good are the OEM Springfield mags?

I bought one of the Mil-Spec models in the Defender Series sale since it was a price that couldn't be beat and I needed my first 1911 after way too many Glocks, Sig, Beretta's. My idea being that I have to have at least one 1911 and since I don't know if I love them yet, get a relatively inexpensive one from a brand that has a good 1911 reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    I'm a huge Springfield 1911 fan, and have more of these bad boys than my wife knows about...

If you haven't, read through Todd's blog post; http://pistol-training.com/archives/6936 It's a good documentation of his 1911 journey, and if you read it from start to finish it might save you a bit of time.

I've run my 1911's pretty hard, teaching and taking multiple high round count classes back to back during the season at The Site. I follow Tim Herron's social media sites, he puts out a lot of great information and inspiration, plus he seems to be an all around good guy.

I install VCD grips on my 1911's per Tom Givens recommendation, and I love those. In a perfect world I could get VCD grips for my 92's as well.

I replaced the sights only because my eyes don't work with regular night sights. I replaced the recoil spring with a 14# spring because it was time to replace the recoil spring. I run CMC 8 and 10 round powermags, if you purchase CMC mags give them a call. Some of their mags won't work in the TRP Operator while they will work in the Operator. The Wilson 47D mags function flawlessly but I've only got 6 of those as opposed to several mag cans full of CMC mags. I believe Tim Herron runs 47D's 8 round mags without issue but I could be wrong regarding what he is currently using. At the time I spoke with him he was running 47D.

Other than that, I haven't done anything to my SA's except clean and lube. I think the SA 1911's are the only pistol SA does right.

TL/DR; The 1911 rule of thumb for a 1911 that runs flawlessly as possible seems to be; clean & lubed pistol, quality mags, and leave it alone.
    Paul, I believe that VCD will make/customize a 92 polymer grip for you. Check their website and call them.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Swimming pools! It’s swimming pools isn’t it? I bet it’s swimming pools...
    Spinmove for the win... Well not really. But it was a good effort....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17I View Post
    As a fellow noob to 1911's, how good are the OEM Springfield mags?
    They're OK, but there's no room in my life for 7 round mags that are merely OK when there are fantastic 8 rounders available. Throw them in the trash or save them for administrative use.

Most mags that come with 1911s are like Glock plastic sights...a placeholder for something better.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    2008 MCOP 13K + down the tube and twice that in dry manipulations.....still going strong. Peppered to taste when SACS was kicking. A few parts were replaced due to high useage. Its returning to duty use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28GLa9T2CtI

Seriously thinking about a match barrel but it still shoots well and my tightness overrides my thoughts.

Ok, so, with those grips there. Do you prefer the thumb groove or the big ‘ol thumb scoop?

BIG!!!!

these are $20 grips that I just need to open up more.

I just need to get crazy with the dremel.

I like em this way

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

The best 1911 $18 you'll spend (on grips, anyhow) are either of the Magpul 1911 grips. They're a superb value.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-28-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    Paul et al

PM me. I have textured any number of customer supplied polymer 92 grips with much success. I can generally source base sets to work on as well.

Thank you all for your kind works.

To the OP:

It looks like you got a good one. I would consider shooting it for 500-1000 rounds. Figure out if it really needs anything.

I strongly suspect that presuming a 16 to 18.5 lb spring, quality, full power ammo and Chip McCormick/Wilson ETM/Cobra Tripp mags, your gun will be boringly reliable so long as you run it wet.

I like Mobil One for oil and Lithium based grease for grease but any quality lubricant/lubricant like product ( to include Vagisil) will work on a firearm if applied liberally in the right places.

There are any number of higher traction grips out there that will do you well to include all the brands mentioned.

Skateboard tape and the Wilson Slip on mag well are two low cost/high function proof of concept choices re a textured front strap/mag well.

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole of the 1911.

User Tag List