Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight Help Request - Does this exist?

HDS ROTARY

The HDS line of lights borders on the boutique, but the user configurations are almost endless. On the rotary models you can choose before turning on by twisting the base to anywhere from .08 lumens low to 325 lumens high or press the end cap mounted button to get momentary high at any time. They have many different clicky or momentary options to choose from..as wells Hi CRI options and custom builds..HDS also touts amazing durability shoot em with a shotgun smash em on concrete repeatedly..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

@NH Shooter - this is awesome, thank you! I think I am 90% to choosing the option 1 Bodyguard v2 2 cell you mentioned but I just had a couple more questions that I am trying to figure out:

1) I'm pretty sure this will forego any type of dual mode but I was curious if you had any thoughts on the Malkoff Scout series heads like the E2T, E2 Super, E2 Hyper, E1 Hyper? For a fight light, some of these seem crazy - granted its only 500 lumens, the E2 Hyper says its 35,000 candela. That seems pretty wild. Can you just toss these on the lumens factory e-series body? How do you like this option vs. option 1 you mentioned (2 cell Bodyguard v2).

2) I noticed that all of the Malkoff Turnkey P-series and E-series accept 18650s while the Surefire e-series and 6p bodies only accept 16650s. Does this effect only the run time or does it also effect lumen output too?

3) I saw in the other thread that the Surefire 6Ps are going for cheap. I think I like the form factor of the e-series better but I was just curious on what are some options you can do with these 6Ps. What Malkoff heads do you recommend for them? - Nevermind - just saw your post in the Malkoff thread!
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 11-30-2019 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    The HDS line of lights borders on the boutique, but the user configurations are almost endless. On the rotary models you can choose before turning on by twisting the base to anywhere from .08 lumens low to 325 lumens high or press the end cap mounted button to get momentary high at any time. They have many different clicky or momentary options to choose from..as wells Hi CRI options and custom builds..HDS also touts amazing durability shoot em with a shotgun smash em on concrete repeatedly..
    Wow - these are some interesting lights. A wee bit pricey but the options do seem endless. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    @NH Shooter - this is awesome, thank you! I think I am 90% to choosing the option 1 Bodyguard v2 2 cell you mentioned but I just had a couple more questions that I am trying to figure out:
    I think you would be pleased with that light!

1) I'm pretty sure this will forego any type of dual mode but I was curious if you had any thoughts on the Malkoff Scout series heads like the E2T, E2 Super, E2 Hyper, E1 Hyper? For a fight light, some of these seem crazy - granted its only 500 lumens, the E2 Hyper says its 35,000 candela. That seems pretty wild. Can you just toss these on the lumens factory e-series body? How do you like this option vs. option 1 you mentioned (2 cell Bodyguard v2).
    Yes any of those heads will work fine on an E-series body (Malkoff, SF, LF)! Using one of those heads is actually an excellent Lego option if you don't want a light that steps down after eight seconds or only want all-the-lumens-all-the-time.

I've seen beam shots of the E2 Hyper throw and it is crazy-bright in the hot spot. It has a really high lux-to-lumens ratio (500/35,000) meaning it's like a pencil beam. The issue I see is that the hot spot is relatively narrow and there's very little spill. The person posting the beam shots stated something to the effect "it's difficult to find the target but once you do you can really light it up." The head is designed to be used as a rifle-mounted weapon light (which it excels for), but for a hand-held light used with a handgun I think I'd want something with more substantial spill.

Out of those heads, I think the E2 Super/Scout M600 2CR123 High Output Head would be the best choice - it's essentially the Bodyguard v.2 without the step-down.

2) I noticed that all of the Malkoff Turnkey P-series and E-series accept 18650s while the Surefire e-series and 6p bodies only accept 16650s. Does this effect only the run time or does it also effect lumen output too?
    Runtime only, the 16650 will have about 70% the runtime of an 18650.

3) I saw in the other thread that the Surefire 6Ps are going for cheap. I think I like the form factor of the e-series better but I was just curious on what are some options you can do with these 6Ps. What Malkoff heads do you recommend for them? - Nevermind - just saw your post in the Malkoff thread!
    Their are so many drop-in modules available for the old 6P that's it's almost crazy not to have one! Along with all of the bullet-proof Malkoff M61 modules, here are some others that are tempting;

https://illuminationgear.com/t/sportac

https://www.edcplus.com/p60-dropins-c-3_18/

These options mean you can easily configure a 6P to fit almost any conceivable use.

FWIW, I have the standard Scout head on my Surefire E2e body and I would have absolutely no qualms whatsoever using it as a fight light. It was originally rated at 350 or 375 out the front lumens by Gene but I think he has since upgraded that rating to somewhat higher. (I don't recall the number offhand.)

In any case, it's plenty bright for illuminating a target at handgun distances, imho. For a single level light, it's a great all around option.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I think you would be pleased with that light!

Yes any of those heads will work fine on an E-series body (Malkoff, SF, LF)! Using one of those heads is actually an excellent Lego option if you don't want a light that steps down after eight seconds or only want all-the-lumens-all-the-time.

I've seen beam shots of the E2 Hyper throw and it is crazy-bright in the hot spot. It has a really high lux-to-lumens ratio (500/35,000) meaning it's like a pencil beam. The issue I see is that the hot spot is relatively narrow and there's very little spill. The person posting the beam shots stated something to the effect "it's difficult to find the target but once you do you can really light it up." The head is designed to be used as a rifle-mounted weapon light (which it excels for), but for a hand-held light used with a handgun I think I'd want something with more substantial spill.

Out of those heads, I think the E2 Super/Scout M600 2CR123 High Output Head would be the best choice - it's essentially the Bodyguard v.2 without the step-down.

Runtime only, the 16650 will have about 70% the runtime of an 18650.

Their are so many drop-in modules available for the old 6P that's it's almost crazy not to have one! Along with all of the bullet-proof Malkoff M61 modules, here are some others that are tempting;

https://illuminationgear.com/t/sportac

https://www.edcplus.com/p60-dropins-c-3_18/

These options mean you can easily configure a 6P to fit almost any conceivable use.
    Thanks @NH Shooter - I felt there had to be a downside to the Hyper but wanted to make sure. It makes sense that the high lux-to-lumens ratio would indicate a narrow beam especially with the lower lumens.

Thanks for helping me navigate the world of Malkoff. Love the idea of the smaller e- series size lights for edc and how they have some serious output. Just have to wait for the Bodyguard v2 head to come back in stock.

I have some low light training coming up this week so I may get a Streamlight 2L-X USB from amazon to hold me over in the mean time. This light thing can get addicting.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 12-01-2019 at 12:22 PM.

I also just found the Streamlight Protac 2L-X. Good size for edc and 500 lumens. It's 6,800 candella beats the tactician's 3200. Not my favorite switching (full click to on) and I would probably just have to leave the programming on high only forgoing the low mode. For the price, it seems like an interesting compromise option.
    I have been very pleased with the pro tac 2L-X
    price is excellent
    the 10-tap programming system works well for me
    really dig how it sits flush in the pocket if carried bezel down
    I've been running it on two CR123's but I like the option to switch over to 18650

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    I have been very pleased with the pro tac 2L-X
    price is excellent
    the 10-tap programming system works well for me
    really dig how it sits flush in the pocket if carried bezel down
    I've been running it on two CR123's but I like the option to switch over to 18650
    You and a lot of the guys on the forum seem to have good experiences with it, which is great.

I appreciate your comment about it sitting well in your pocket. My pd30 is 0.86 in diameter so I was a little worried going to 1inch but I also knew it was going to be tough finding something smaller.

For the price the output is great and so is the switching. I can also use it as a "beater" or "backup" light as well as one for training. The "forward clicky" is a big improvement over my Pd30 that is "reverse clicky" - and I'll be now able to get momentary on with half clicks. You are going to get double the lumens and lux with the Malkoff lego but for more money. The streamlight will work for now until the bodyguard v2 heads come back in stock.

I'm actually pretty excited for both. The value for the Streamlight is great and the output for the Malkoff is going to be awesome.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 12-01-2019 at 03:33 PM.

@NH Shooter - I got the body and end from the lumens factory on order. Who do you like for batteries and chargers? I saw you mention orbtronic and keeppower for batteries. Anyone else that are worth a look?

I was also thinking about getting a Nitecore D2/D4 charger. Seems universally liked but I don't know much about the subject.

Finally out of curiosity - are the Malkoff bodies the only 18650 capable bodies that take the 1 inch e-series heads? I saw people on CPF bore out their 6Ps. I'm surprised there aren't many aftermarket options.

@NH Shooter - I got the body and end from the lumens factory on order. Who do you like for batteries and chargers? I saw you mention orbtronic and keeppower for batteries. Anyone else that are worth a look?

I was also thinking about getting a Nitecore D2/D4 charger. Seems universally liked but I don't know much about the subject.
    I've had good luck with the Keeppower and Orbtronic cells and since both are readily available, I stick with them. I have also used Efest and AW IMR cells with good luck.

Finally out of curiosity - are the Malkoff bodies the only 18650 capable bodies that take the 1 inch e-series heads? I saw people on CPF bore out their 6Ps. I'm surprised there aren't many aftermarket options.
    The Malkoff E-series 18650 body is the one, there are also some custom bodies on the Oveready site that adapt E-series heads to 18mm bodies and use a P-series tailcap. These are essentially P-series size bodies (larger, bulkier) that accept E-series heads;

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/e35-body-ha-black/

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/e70-body-ha-black/

Other than boring, not many 18650 body options for the 6P head. With the advent of the Keeppower 16650 2500mAh cell, not a lot is gained with the larger 18mm cell anyway.

When it comes to complete hosts that will accept a P60 drop-in (same as used in a 6P), there are many options to choose from.

User Tag List