Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight Help Request - Does this exist?

Today I was able to play with my friends Streamlight Protac HL. I loved the higher lumens but the size confirmed that the bigger bulbous head would make me not want to edc it.

I liked that half click momentary on (my Fenix requires a full click for on and then the half click changes modes). The 3 raised portions around the switch made it very hard for me to click fully for on (good thing) but sometimes made it difficult to even get a momentary on unless I was able to get a positive grip where I was able to use the portion of my thumb closer to the tip (bad thing) - so I have mixed feelings about it. I also was not a fan of any of the modes besides high only, making this a single mode light for me.

I just read the single mode only thread posted a few days ago and it's making me think that having a single mode only (especially if paired with another light) might not necessarily be a bad thing. @NH Shooter - you posted a Malkoff in that thread that you put together that you thought was the best single mode only light you could think of - m91t head on md3 body - may I ask what the overall length and width of that was?

Also, thanks for the above recommendations. I have one a few questions but want to get my complete thoughts together on it. I might just get two lights in the end. That bodyguard option looks sweet too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I also just found the Streamlight Protac 2L-X. Good size for edc and 500 lumens. It's 6,800 candella beats the tactician's 3200. Not my favorite switching (full click to on) and I would probably just have to leave the programming on high only forgoing the low mode. For the price, it seems like an interesting compromise option.
    I'm not sure if you figured this out while playing with the Protac HL, but the 2L-X doesn't need to be fully clicked to be turned on....it can just be a momentary tap if you'd like.

I find the form factor to be the max size I want to be carrying clipped inside a jean pocket. I got the USB version of the 2L-X and love it....while I'm also a big fan of its modes, it's also a great intersection between brightness, form factor, and cost. I was originally thinking about the HL, but went for the 2L-X due to it's smaller size.

FWIW, regarding how easy/hard it is to click the cap, that was actually one of the reasons I went for it. I found more exposed buttons like on my 4Sevens Quark or Surefire Combat light (Z2x? something like that) are too easily depressed for wear in street clothes, especially when I'm wearing all my gear at work. Great for using a Rogers grip, but wayyyyy too many accidental discharges that would constantly drain my batteries. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

@NH Shooter - you posted a Malkoff in that thread that you put together that you thought was the best single mode only light you could think of - m91t head on md3 body - may I ask what the overall length and width of that was?

Also, thanks for the above recommendations. I have one a few questions but want to get my complete thoughts together on it. I might just get two lights in the end. That bodyguard option looks sweet too.
    Depending on how you set it up, 6-1/8 to 6-5/8 inches. Not sure if you saw this post yet.

A 1-CR123A Bodyguard in the bottom of the pocket and something larger clipped in a pocket (or riding on a belt) is what works for me.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 11-28-2019 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm not sure if you figured this out while playing with the Protac HL, but the 2L-X doesn't need to be fully clicked to be turned on....it can just be a momentary tap if you'd like.

I find the form factor to be the max size I want to be carrying clipped inside a jean pocket. I got the USB version of the 2L-X and love it....while I'm also a big fan of its modes, it's also a great intersection between brightness, form factor, and cost. I was originally thinking about the HL, but went for the 2L-X due to it's smaller size.

FWIW, regarding how easy/hard it is to click the cap, that was actually one of the reasons I went for it. I found more exposed buttons like on my 4Sevens Quark or Surefire Combat light (Z2x? something like that) are too easily depressed for wear in street clothes, especially when I'm wearing all my gear at work. Great for using a Rogers grip, but wayyyyy too many accidental discharges that would constantly drain my batteries. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    Hey TGS - thanks for your impressions on the light. I'm not going to lie - this light checks a lot of the boxes for me: Price, form factor, default high mode, momentary on, rechargeable. After some research, I would probably rather have this over the tactician because of its higher candela for a "fight light". Since it's rechargeable, I really don't care that I'm only going to use it in high mode. It for some reason I think I would need a low mode for an extended period, I could easily tentap it to that mode and do it that way. It seems like a really flexible light.

I also hear you how on the hard to turn on the thing. I have had lights with clickys turn on accidently and either drain or turn so hot that I realized it was on before it drained all the way. So I like it for that. I would probably just have to train with it to get used to it. I only played with the protac HL for a 10 minutes or so.

I'm not sure how you use your light with a gun or transitioning to gun. Have you had any issues getting it on? Are you going to momentary or full on?

Thanks again TGS. Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure how you use your light with a gun or transitioning to gun. Have you had any issues getting it on? Are you going to momentary or full on?

Thanks again TGS. Happy Thanksgiving.
    I usually hold it in my off-hand and haven't had trouble using it with Harries, FBI or neck index, but my default is to use the WML. It's definitely sub par for Rogers, if that's your bread and butter, which it's not for me. Even prior to the 2L-X I wasn't big into Rogers, and think I'd need to exclusively carry the Surefire combat light or a light with a Thyrm Switchback to make it work well.

I train to use it with momentary taps. If I happen to click it on (which happens), I just click it off....I haven't found that to a big deal given I don't use the Rogers technique, where I could see it being problematic.

Oh, and happy thanksgiving to you!
    Last edited by TGS; 11-28-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I usually hold it in my off-hand and haven't had trouble using it with Harries, FBI or neck index, but my default is to use the WML. It's definitely sub par for Rogers, if that's your bread and butter, which it's not for me. Even prior to the 2L-X I wasn't big into Rogers, and think I'd need to exclusively carry the Surefire combat light or a light with a Thyrm Switchback to make it work well.

I train to use it with momentary taps. If I happen to click it on (which happens), I just click it off....I haven't found that to a big deal given I don't use the Rogers technique, where I could see it being problematic.

Oh, and happy thanksgiving to you!
    Even though my Surefire 6z was designed to facilitate the Rogers technique, I've never once used it in that manner on or off the job. When I qualify I'll usually use Harries or FBI. I can't remember the last time I used a neck index. That said, it's good to know 'em all for the occasion where one may be more suitable than another.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    This Lego build will get you there with little-to-no compromise;

Malkoff Bodyguard v.2 head - 1,000 lumens/approx. 12,000 candela on high (eight seconds) then it drops to low (250 lumens), head measure 1-inch in diameter. Sign up for the newsletter and get 20% off your first purchase. Out of stock items are replenished within a week or two.

Lumens Factory E-Series clone body - can also be found on their ebay store

Lumens Factor E-series twisty tailcap - can also be found on their ebay store

16650 2500mAh rechargeable cell and a suitable charger (like this one).

You'll also be able to run this light on two CR123A batteries.

@Clusterfrack and @BillSWPA also run the Bodyguard lights, perhaps they can chime-in as well.

This is my version of this light using a SF Lumamax body found on ebay with a Malkoff E-series tailcap. AOL as shown is 5-1/8" would be about a quarter inch shorter with twisty tailcap. This is one of my favorite lights, rides clipped in a front pocket unnoticed;

Option 2

This is a P-series light so it's a little wider in diameter; body is 1-inch and head is 1-3/16" ;

Malkoff MD2-M61HOT - 740 lumens/20,000 candela. It's a one mode light but is available with a high/low bezel switch (loosen bezel for low). Low is only about 5 lumens though.

Surefire Z41 twisty tailcap - common on ebay, here's one listing

IMR 18650 flat top cell - you would need to use this specific cell, protected cell is too long to fit in body when using SF twisty tailcap.

AOL with twisty would be 4.75 inches, not including the rubber button. It would look something like this (the shorter one, both with a Raven Concealment pocket clip);

NH Shooter - I appreciate the time you putting these options together and the links. It was very helpful. A couple questions -

1. Are the lumens factory bodies the best options for bodies for this application? I have read in some of your other posts some other bodies that were also options.

2. Is there a difference between the lumens factory twisty switch in option 1 and the Surefire z41 twisty switch in option 2?

3. You mentioned the bodyguard v2 head at a diameter of 1 inch. Any chance you know the diameter of the m61HOT head? It looks thicker in pics but I can't tell for sure.

4. In option 2 - is there any special considerations I need to know about using an unprotected 18650 cell?

5. The 6+ inch MD3 seems a little long for jeans pocket, the 4.75 option 2 seems decent though but I could go longer like in option 1. Is there any approx 5.5 inch options using the M61HOT (or similar head) to get even more capability without going 6+inches?

Ultimately, the size of the bodyguard v2 seems perfect with excellent capability. But then the 20,000 candela of the m61HOT seems amazing too! Decisions.....

Thanks again for helping me square this away. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 11-28-2019 at 05:29 PM.

A couple questions -

1. Are the lumens factory bodies the best options for bodies for this application? I have read in some of your other posts some other bodies that were also options.
    Maybe not the best, but certainly one of several. Remember that the Surefire E-series and Malkoff MDC series are almost entirely interchangeable. So the three body options for the MDC heads are (1) Malkoff bodes; (2) Surefire bodies and (3) Surefire clone bodies (Lumens Factory makes a decent one).

2. Is there a difference between the lumens factory twisty switch in option 1 and the Surefire z41 twisty switch in option 2?
    Functionally, no. They are simply different sizes to fit their respective E or P series lights.

3. You mentioned the bodyguard v2 head at a diameter of 1 inch. Any chance you know the diameter of the m61HOT head? It looks thicker in pics but I can't tell for sure.
    The Malkoff MDx heads (that fit the MD2/3/4 bodies) measure 1.220" in diameter. As a point of reference, the Surefire 6P head measures 1.260" in diameter.

4. In option 2 - is there any special considerations I need to know about using an unprotected 18650 cell?
    IMO, for that specific application no; (1) the cell is well protected from physical damage inside the light; (2) the light will get uselessly dim before you reach a point of cell over-discharge so it will be obvious when it's time to recharge or swap the cell; (3) recharge the cell regularly, when you first notice it's growing dimmer; (4) when the cell is outside of the light you store it in the plastic container pairs of cells are shipped in or in something like this or this to prevent shorting and physical damage to the cell and (5) you use any of the commonly-available chargers intended for use with 18650 cells.

If you treat the cells with reasonable care and proper use, you're no more likely to have an issue in this specific application (MD2-M61HOT) than you would using a protected cell. FWIW, I've been carrying small Foursevens Quark with an unprotected 16340 cell in the bottom of my pocket for years.

5. The 6+ inch MD3 seems a little long for jeans pocket, the 4.75 option 2 seems decent though but I could go longer like in option 1. Is there any approx 5.5 inch options using the M61HOT (or similar head) to get even more capability without going 6+inches?
    Not really. Once you move from a 2-cell light to a 3-cell, there will be a set jump in OAL.

Ultimately, the size of the bodyguard v2 seems perfect with excellent capability. But then the 20,000 candela of the m61HOT seems amazing too! Decisions.....
    This IMO encapsulates it all - there is no such thing as a light that will serve every purpose perfectly.

My own approach is to EDC a small light in the bottom of my pocket for general use. In this category something like this I think is perfect; small and lightweight enough to not even know it's there but with enough capability to navigate a dark parking lot, find the keys I dropped, etc. This is a light that I carry at all times and all places.

From there, I'll carry a second, more capable light dedicated to self-defensive purposes. Both the Bodyguard v.2 on a 2-cell body and MD2-M61HOT serve that purpose well without being a pain clipped-in-the-pants-pocket to carry.

Or, as I have more recently discovered, carrying a even larger MD3 light in a good belt carrier is even more comfortable than a 2-cell light clipped in a pants pocket.

Too late to edit last post, but I want to add the following...

IMO, for most of us on this forum, the Bodyguard on a 1-CR123 is a superb bottom-of-the-pocket carry light. Its build quality and robustness are beyond reproach, it's bright enough to serve as a fight light and once it steps down to low, 200 lumens provides more than enough light for more mundane uses. Also carries nicely clipped to the inside of a pocket.

Mine is a v.2 version head on the 1-CR123 shroudless body with DIY finger lanyard installed. Note - the v.2 head on this body is a single 16340 rechargeable cell affair only. If you want the option to run on single CR123A battery, roll with the v.1 version instead.

The Malkoff Bodyguard V1 is my favorite flashlight and the one I grab on my way out the door 90% of the time.

User Tag List