Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashlight Help Request - Does this exist?

Flashlight Help Request - Does this exist?

I currently edc a Fenix PD30 w/XR-E R2 LED. It has modes that have the following lumens (and a strobe) 10,70,125, & 235. It works perfectly fine but I want something different and simpler. I have only ever used 235 (Turbo mode) and 70/125 (with not much noticeable difference between the two so they are interchangeable to me). My ideal light would be:

Form factor - approx 1 inch wide or smaller without flare/bulbous head. I am not sure if something bigger would fit in front jeans pocket without looking like a chipmunk. Surefire has some at 1.125 but I am not sure how well they fit in regular jeans.
    Switching - tailcap with only momentary on (no clicky) but twist for constant on. I have AD'd my click-to-on Fenix while still in my pocket a few times and it got freaking hot in turbo.
    LED Modes - 2 modes - TURBO (preferably over 500) and medium (anything from 50 to 200). Anything lower, I just use my phone. My motorola has gestures that turn it on and off without using GUI and is super quick.
    Beam Pattern - good candella - I want something for civilian "self defense/tactical use" - basically blind the hell out of a bad guy to stop/reverse them in their tracks or at least buy me time
    Price - Preferably sub $150 but I would go $200
    Battery - 18650 Rechargeable - my understanding is that these provide more "juice" than cr123a. It would be great if I could recharge them too. I think this would be the largest ask but I'll throw it in.

The closest I have been able to come to find is the Surefire Tactician but it is not perfect. Switchology is exactly what I want and form factor is great. However, I am not (yet) sold on the max vision LED and I would love for the low mode to be anything above 70 lumens (I would never use the 5). I am not sure if what I want exists, so I am just hoping to get close enough and that could be the Surefire Tactician. Its 800 lumens is still brighter than what I have now. Any help you all could provide would be great.

I don't know much about flashlights or even if what I am looking for is the appropriate for my intended purposes. School me flashaholics - I'm flexible on all my preferences if it delivers on intended purposes. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 11-27-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Personally I find the two-stage momentary switch (with twist for on) on the EDCL2-T much superior to the Tactician's UI, but otherwise I suppose they are equivalent lights. There's no MaxVision on the EDCL2-T, and I don't miss it.

Unfortunately neither of them support 18650s.

I was personally waiting impatiently for Surefire to finally do a handheld version of their M600DF Scout light which would be the ideal flashlight, but eventually gave up and just bought the EDCL2-T. That was a year ago now, and still no sign of them coming to their senses and doing the right thing..
    Last edited by jellydonut; 11-27-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Personally I find the two-stage momentary switch (with twist for on) on the EDCL2-T much superior to the Tactician's UI, but otherwise I suppose they are equivalent lights. There's no MaxVision on the EDCL2-T, and I don't miss it.

Unfortunately neither of them support 18650s.

I was personally waiting impatiently for Surefire to finally do a handheld version of their M600DF Scout light which would be the ideal flashlight, but eventually gave up and just bought the EDCL2-T. That was a year ago now, and still no sign of them coming to their senses and doing the right thing..
    That UI is totally doable for me! How do you like the size? This seems like a big light...can you fit it in you front jeans pocket?
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 11-27-2019 at 02:53 AM.

I also just found the Streamlight Protac 2L-X. Good size for edc and 500 lumens. It's 6,800 candella beats the tactician's 3200. Not my favorite switching (full click to on) and I would probably just have to leave the programming on high only forgoing the low mode. For the price, it seems like an interesting compromise option.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I also just found the Streamlight Protac 2L-X. Good size for edc and 500 lumens. It's 6,800 candella beats the tactician's 3200. Not my favorite switching (full click to on) and I would probably just have to leave the programming on high only forgoing the low mode. For the price, it seems like an interesting compromise option.
    I didn't mention it at first because it doesn't have a twist to stay on function, but if Steamlight will work for you, I'm happy with my ProTac HL-X.

It's 1,000 lumen/27,100 candela and is 18650 compatible for ~$85.00. I have it set to high only. (I carry a separate "look for stuff" AAA flashlight.)
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 11-27-2019 at 04:06 AM.

This Lego build will get you there with little-to-no compromise;

Malkoff Bodyguard v.2 head - 1,000 lumens/approx. 12,000 candela on high (eight seconds) then it drops to low (250 lumens), head measure 1-inch in diameter. Sign up for the newsletter and get 20% off your first purchase. Out of stock items are replenished within a week or two.

Lumens Factory E-Series clone body - can also be found on their ebay store

Lumens Factor E-series twisty tailcap - can also be found on their ebay store

16650 2500mAh rechargeable cell and a suitable charger (like this one).

You'll also be able to run this light on two CR123A batteries.

@Clusterfrack and @BillSWPA also run the Bodyguard lights, perhaps they can chime-in as well.

This is my version of this light using a SF Lumamax body found on ebay with a Malkoff E-series tailcap. AOL as shown is 5-1/8" would be about a quarter inch shorter with twisty tailcap. This is one of my favorite lights, rides clipped in a front pocket unnoticed;

Option 2

This is a P-series light so it's a little wider in diameter; body is 1-inch and head is 1-3/16" ;

Malkoff MD2-M61HOT - 740 lumens/20,000 candela. It's a one mode light but is available with a high/low bezel switch (loosen bezel for low). Low is only about 5 lumens though.

Surefire Z41 twisty tailcap - common on ebay, here's one listing

IMR 18650 flat top cell - you would need to use this specific cell, protected cell is too long to fit in body when using SF twisty tailcap.

AOL with twisty would be 4.75 inches, not including the rubber button. It would look something like this (the shorter one, both with a Raven Concealment pocket clip);

Last edited by NH Shooter; 11-27-2019 at 05:29 AM.

Site Supporter
    It looks like NH Shooter nailed it with his LEGO suggestion.

If you want a 1” diameter body, it will not fit an 18650, but will fit a 16650, which is essentially the same thing with a smaller diameter and reduced (but still very good) capacity. It is exactly the same size as two CR123 cells in series.

The Bodyguard year will give you high every time you activate it, switching to medium after 8 seconds. So, if you do not need medium first, without going through high, then this will work. It is optimized for searching and fighting while being quite useful for mundane everyday tasks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Elzetta A111 but it's only cr123

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    @Clusterfrack and @BillSWPA also run the Bodyguard lights, perhaps they can chime-in as well.
    I have a lot of lights, and 95% of the time I carry the 1-cell Bodyguard v2. It is very compact, and does nearly everything I need. It is a bombproof defensive light in a tiny package. I've considered using a 2-cell MDC body to give it a little more length in the hand, but that's about it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have a lot of lights, and 95% of the time I carry the 1-cell Bodyguard v2. It is very compact, and does nearly everything I need. It is a bombproof defensive light in a tiny package. I've considered using a 2-cell MDC body to give it a little more length in the hand, but that's about it.
    The 2-cell MDC Bodyguard with the fully shrouded tail switch is the best light I have seen if you need to use the light as a Kubotan/Yawara/pocket stick type impact weapon. With the fully shrouded tail switch, you can strike with either end. Without crenelations and the word "Defender" or other such purpose-defeating language printed on the side, getting it allowed past a security checkpoint is not a problem.

User Tag List