Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flashlight Help Request - Does this exist?

Got the Streamlight 2L-X USB and used it for some light light stuff at shooting league last night. Here are a couple pics for size comparisons of some lights I have. Most of them are small but I thought it could be fun to look at if any of you are interested. I also got a chance to hold a Klarus X2TC and it's almost the exact same size as the 2L-X. As you can see the Streamlight is pretty large compared to what I have been carrying. I am not sure I would want to go bigger than this. I think it fits decent in a pants pocket.

Some initial thoughts on switching -

The switch of the Streamlight 2L-X was fine for me and I left the ten-tap programming in high only which is how I plan on carrying the light. I used it in momentary on but sometimes I would accidentally full click to constant-on (not a deal breaker during the shooting process for me). For extended strings of fire where I really needed to concentrate on the shot (15 yard 2-to-the-head drills from a head index), I found myself inadvertently letting off of momentary on by accident (I guess I can't double task well). I played with intentionally full clicking to constant-on and it worked better.

From a comparison perspective. The switch on the Klarus XT2C was slightly more raised above the shroud which made it slightly easier to activate. I didn’t shoot with the Klarus but I would imagine it would be slightly easier to turn on when shooting and also potentially to AD in pocket. For constant on - the Klarus was also less stiff. I forgot to compare depth of click.

Compared to PD30 - My PD30 does not allow for momentary on. However, for constant on, the Streamlight was slightly stiffer and also required a slightly deeper click to constant on. I am hoping this helps prevent AD in my pocket.

From a ccw perspective, I am not sure if it would be a deal breaker to have a constant-click-to-on via tailcap. Obviously there would be benefits to momentary-only. Some may include 1) ease of off function so you don’t become a target or 2) ease of off so you don’t splash yourself when running up quickly behind cover - both could probably be overcome with training. I suppose it could also be argued that if in a real world scenario, even with training, the chaos of a fight may still point in favor to the ease of momentary on only. I haven’t done extensive research on the topic.

Just from my own experience, in an ideal world, I am probably in the momentary-only camp but more from the administrative benefits and advantages of being able to leave the light in its highest setting and never having to worry about AD in your pocket - which every single one of my full-click-to-on lights has done to me. This has not only caused super hot lights in my pocket when I wasn’t expecting it but also dead batteries when I actually needed my light. It got me so frustrated with a Preon 2, I ended up twisting the head to lock the light in off-mode and taking my PD30 out of turbo mode. Both of which are not ideal if you want a truly defensive light. I also think a momentary only also allows you to use an exposed tail cap for easier activation during shooting without the worry of a constant-on AD. That being said - I did it enjoy constant on for those extended strings of fire (mentioned above) so I guess there is never a free lunch.

ETA - I have read the Malkoff MDC bodies have a good tail switch with constant full-click-to-on that people have said was hard to AD (both with shrouded tailcap and unshrouded). This still sounds like a potential option for me despite the fact that I already have an lumens factory body and tailcap on order. I might get the full two-cell bodyguard v2 (currently only available in shrouded) just to see what which body and switching I like better. Anybody have any opinions on these?
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 12-05-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    ETA - I have read the Malkoff MDC bodies have a good tail switch with constant full-click-to-on that people have said was hard to AD (both with shrouded tailcap and unshrouded). This still sounds like a potential option for me despite the fact that I already have an lumens factory body and tailcap on order. I might get the full two-cell bodyguard v2 (currently only available in shrouded) just to see what which body and switching I like better. Anybody have any opinions on these?
    I have once or twice unintentionally activated my unshrouded Bodyguard V.2 while clipped to my left hand front pocket. Just the way the fold in the pants or a crease caught the top of the light while seated in a vehicle or on the couch. It was never on long and I noticed it reasonably quickly. I've never accidentally activated any of my Malkoff shrouded lights.

I chose the unshrouded for those two lights, (original Bodyguard and V.2), because I like the idea of foolproof activation. I have been able to force a miss while activating the shrouded lights, (albeit rarely), if my thumb was not properly positioned. I didn't want to risk that with a tactical light. I have had some injuries to my thumbs over the years which makes them slightly less dexterous than in my youth, so that's a consideration for some of us older dudes.
    Last edited by blues; 12-05-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    the v.2 head on this body is a single 16340 rechargeable cell affair only. If you want the option to run on single CR123A battery, roll with the v.1 version instead.

The v.2 Bodyguard I recently received shipped with a cr123a(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Just from my own experience, in an ideal world, I am probably in the momentary-only camp but more from the administrative benefits and advantages of being able to leave the light in its highest setting and never having to worry about AD in your pocket - which every single one of my full-click-to-on lights has done to me. This has not only caused super hot lights in my pocket when I wasn’t expecting it but also dead batteries when I actually needed my light. It got me so frustrated with a Preon 2, I ended up twisting the head to lock the light in off-mode and taking my PD30 out of turbo mode. Both of which are not ideal if you want a truly defensive light. I also think a momentary only also allows you to use an exposed tail cap for easier activation during shooting without the worry of a constant-on AD. That being said - I did it enjoy constant on for those extended strings of fire (mentioned above) so I guess there is never a free lunch.
    Interested to see some updated thoughts after you’ve used the Streamlight for a bit... ADs eating batteries and burning my thighs with my Quark Tactical (2010? vintage, I think...) and Protac AAA have left me very frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    The v.2 Bodyguard I recently received shipped with a cr123a(?)
    Link to what you ordered?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have once or twice unintentionally activated my unshrouded Bodyguard V.2 while clipped to my left hand front pocket. Just the way the fold in the pants or a crease caught the top of the light while seated in a vehicle or on the couch. It was never on long and I noticed it reasonably quickly. I've never accidentally activated any of my Malkoff shrouded lights.

I chose the unshrouded for those two lights, (original Bodyguard and V.2), because I like the idea of foolproof activation. I have been able to force a miss while activating the shrouded lights, (albeit rarely), if my thumb was not properly positioned. I didn't want to risk that with a tactical light. I have had some injuries to my thumbs over the years which makes them slightly less dexterous than in my youth, so that's a consideration for some of us older dudes.
    For their intended use, the Bodyguard lights are really ideal candidates for the momentary-only mod to the McClicky. Constant-on is lost but the feel of the McClicky is far better than a SF Z41 (twisty), which to me has clunky feel.

I'm firmly in the same camp that my fight lights are setup 100% for that application (momentary only), and that carrying a second small torch for administrative tasks is preferable to compromising the fight light. I also find an unshrouded or semi-shrouded tailcap design preferable for use with momentary-only operation.

Link to what you ordered?
    https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio.../mdc-bodyguard

I defer to our resident expert but my understanding is that this head will have more output with a 16340 but works just fine with a cr123
    Last edited by J0hnny; 12-06-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    https://malkoffdevices.com/collectio.../mdc-bodyguard

I defer to our resident expert but my understanding is that this head will have more output with a 16340 but works just fine with a cr123
    Correct! That is the v.1 which works fine with a single CR123A battery, and gets a boost with a 16340.

Correct! That is the v.1 which works fine with a single CR123A battery, and gets a boost with a 16340.
    Thank you for clarification! I bought a V2 head and put it on a 16650 body, somehow I thought they were both V2
    Last edited by J0hnny; 12-06-2019 at 12:35 PM.

User Tag List